More on controlling insulin: consider VINEGAR! :-)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just posted the following on another hairloss site, so I'll post it here, too. The relevance for hairloss is that there's a claim in some quarters that balding is caused or at least exacerbated by insulin insensitivity. We've been discussing how to control it on that other site, and this post is about a new way that might be helpful:

Guys, I don't really have any comment on the alleged link between insulin insensitivity and balding, but for obvious general health reasons, it's certainly a good idea to address the issue of insulin control.

A few months ago we were talking about using soluble fiber to help control sugar and insulin spikes, and I was discussing Metamucil, psyllium, guar gum, pectin, and other soluble fibers. However, I forgot to mention one other new approach, and that's the use of plain old VINEGAR for that purpose! Here's a very recent and fascinating study from a medical journal that tested apple cider vinegar before high-carb meals, and found it to be helpful for controlling insulin. Notice the comment near the very end which said that vinegar _may_ have an effect similar to that of metformin (Glucophage):

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

Ever since I read that study, I've now been taking a small amount of vinegar myself, just prior to high-carb meals. Keep in mind that this is still an EXPERIMENTAL approach.

Bryan

Bismarck

Reaction score
This is an in vitro minoxidil study, the ending is interesting:

Limitations of human occipital scalp hair follicle organ culture for studying the effects of minoxidil as a hair growth enhancer.

Magerl M, Paus R, Farjo N, Muller-Rover S, Peters EM, Foitzik K, Tobin DJ.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, Bradford, UK.

Minoxidil induces new hair growth in approximately one-third of patients with androgenetic alopecia after 1 year of treatment. With several conflicting reports in the literature based on small-scale studies, the current study aimed to clarify whether organ culture of human scalp anagen VI hair follicles is a suitable in vitro test system for reproducing, and experimentally dissecting, the recognized in vivo hair-growth-promoting capacity of minoxidil. Hair shaft elongation was studied in terminal anagen VI hair follicles microdissected from the occipital scalp of 36 healthy adults. A total of 2300 hair follicles, approximately 65 per individual, were tested using modifications of a basic organ culture protocol. It is shown here that minoxidil does not significantly increase hair shaft elongation or the duration of anagen VI in ex vivo culture despite several enhancements on the conventional methodology. This disparity to what is seen clinically in minoxidil responders may be explained by the following: (i) use of occipital (rather than frontotemporal or vertex) hair follicles; (ii) use of, already maximally growing, anagen VI hair follicles; (iii) a predominance of hair follicles from minoxidil unresponsive-donors; (iv) use of minoxidil rather than its sulfate metabolite; and/or (v) use of a suboptimal minoxidil dosage. This disparity questions the usefulness of standard human hair follicle organ culture in minoxidil research. Unexpectedly, minoxidil even inhibited hair shaft elongation in the absence of insulin, which may indicate that the actual hair-growth-modulatory effects of minoxidil depend on the concomitant local presence/absence of other growth modulators.

G

Bryan said:
Ever since I read that study, I've now been taking a small amount of vinegar myself, just prior to high-carb meals. Keep in mind that this is still an EXPERIMENTAL approach.

Bryan

Bryan, why if your goal was to reduce insulin spikes (from high blood sugar) would you be eating high-carb meals anyway?

I would think a choosing carbs lower on the glycemic index would be more effective at producing an even insulin response.

Sorry if you have already discussed this, and I am going over old ground, but it seems to me like saying 30g of ascorbic acid a day will negate the damaging effects smokers cause to themselves on a cellular level, when you should just be saying....er don't smoke.

Ty

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
Bryan, why if your goal was to reduce insulin spikes (from high blood sugar) would you be eating high-carb meals anyway?

Don't you ever wanna enjoy a nice bowl of pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, etc.? The vinegar might help you do that...

tynanW said:
I would think a choosing carbs lower on the glycemic index would be more effective at producing an even insulin response.

Maybe, but it probably wouldn't be EASIER. Maybe with the assistance of soluble fiber and/or vinegar, you can have your cake and eat it, too! :wink:

Bryan

polster

Reaction score
well I dont know about insulin reduction but Apple cider vinegar is supposed to help with skin problems like dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. As the theory is that people with dandruff problems have to alkaline skin and it needs to be more acidic to fight infection! Also supposed to help by drinking apple cider vinegar with water a couple times a day as it will help with candida internally! They say people with skin problems dont produce enough stomach acid to fight bacteria such as candida which eventually show up on your skin as blotches, and dermatitis! From my research it has to be organic unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar to accomplish the most health benefit! Something like Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar!

Also helpful is taking supplements of betain HCL (Betaine Hydrochloride) Betaine hydrochloride is an acidic form of betaine, a vitamin-like substance found in grains and other foods. Betaine hydrochloride is recommended by some doctors as a supplemental source of hydrochloric acid for people who have a deficiency of stomach acid production (hypochlorhydria).

A deficiency of gastric acid secretion increases the likelihood and severity of certain bacterial and parasitic intestinal infections. A normal stomach’s level of gastric acid is sufficient to destroy bacteria.1 In one study, most fasting people who had normal acidity in the stomach had virtually no bacteria in the small intestine. Some bacterial colonization of the stomach occurred in people who had low levels of hydrochloric acid.

Here is a few sites that might be helpfull:
http://www.uses-for-vinegar.com/dandruf ... emedy.html
http://members.surfeu.fi/wpk/dandruff/
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/se ... s-support/
http://www.oralchelation.com/ingred/betaine.htm

G

Bryan said:
Don't you ever wanna enjoy a nice bowl of pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, etc.? The vinegar might help you do that...

:roll:

Bismarck

Reaction score
tynanW said:
Bryan said:

The British folks are even used to eat vinegar with fish and chips... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

G

Bismarck said:
tynanW said:
Bryan said:

The British folks are even used to eat vinegar with fish and chips... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

...and we have zero male pattern baldness

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The whole vinegar thing is very very interesting. There are so many PROs to using the stuff..... I have ran many searches on google and read nothing but good things.

Great post!

Tony

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No f*****g sh*t lady does it sound like im ordering a pizza!!!!!

I believe that is from Die Hard.........

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
It is not always the carbs that are bad it is the ones that are chosen. I eat a good pit of carbs but I go for the good ones, such as brown rice whole wheat bread, etc. But personally my favorite is pasta but I make it with whole wheat noodles. Whole grains that are not processed do very little to the glycemic index as far as raising insulin goes because they are digested slowly, where as potatoes, white bread or regular noodles spike the insulin level.

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used apple cider vinegar off and on. Here are some of my results:

1. weight loss
2. better short term memory
3. fewer sugar cravings

It takes 2 tablespoons a day for about 30 days to see these effects.

I use 1 or 2 teaspoons 3 times a day in a full glass of water(a tablespoon makes it too strong) Never drink it straight.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Instead of gagging on liquid vinegar, why not try this?

products\1241-GN.jpg

Strangely, the directions say to take AFTER each meal.

http://www.fitnessfirstusa.com/details.asp?Item=8709

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
21gone said:
It is not always the carbs that are bad it is the ones that are chosen. I eat a good pit of carbs but I go for the good ones, such as brown rice whole wheat bread, etc.

From all the nutrition tables I've seen, the glycemic index of whole wheat bread is every bit as high as that of white bread (in fact, in one of them, it was slightly HIGHER than white bread). That's because wheat fiber is almost entirely INSOLUBLE, not soluble. Insoluble fiber has little or no effect at slowing the digestion of carbohydrates, or the absorption of sugars.

21gone said:
But personally my favorite is pasta but I make it with whole wheat noodles. Whole grains that are not processed do very little to the glycemic index as far as raising insulin goes because they are digested slowly, where as potatoes, white bread or regular noodles spike the insulin level.

I really don't think that's correct. It's SOLUBLE fiber which slows the digestion of carbohydrates, and wheat doesn't have any of that.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
So you'll know I'm not joking about this, here are the glycemic indexes for items in the "Bakery goods" section of the food table listed in "The Life Extension Weight Loss Program", by Pearson & Shaw:

pastry: 59
sponge cake: 46
white bread: 69
whole wheat bread: 72
whole-grain rye bread: 42

My guess for why whole-grain rye bread is lower than the other two breads is that it _does_ have a significant amount of soluble fiber in it.

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
From all the nutrition tables I've seen, the glycemic index of whole wheat bread is every bit as high as that of white bread (in fact, in one of them, it was slightly HIGHER than white bread). That's because wheat fiber is almost entirely INSOLUBLE, not soluble. Insoluble fiber has little or no effect at slowing the digestion of carbohydrates, or the absorption of sugars.

Bingo!, Mr Bryan, Bingo!

I have been telling this to people for years (not that they have ever listened), you will often find wholemeal spaghetti above white/plain spaghetti on many glycemic tables!!??

Also icecream is suprisingly low on the glycemic index, along with berries, which you would have thought their fructose content would make them fairly high.

There are many ways of stopping the development of insulin resistance and spikes in blood glucose, try mixing in some psyllium husks into a glass of water and drinking before a meal, or mix in some fat and protein with your carbs, these all slow the rate at which the sugars enter the blood.

Or how about just burning some of the glycogen up that is stored in your liver? Am I being too controversial here?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan and Tynan when I have more time I will post from the books and studies I have that elaborate on what I say.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Also icecream is suprisingly low on the glycemic index...

Yes! Ice cream is only 36, in the table to which I referred above! People are always shocked when they first hear that! However, that refers to REAL ice cream with butterfat, not necessarily the really sugary low-fat versions like sherbets, etc.

...along with berries, which you would have thought their fructose content would make them fairly high.

Fructose has a very LOW glycemic index of only 20! My understanding is that it's absorbed in the gut by a process of slow diffusion that's different from how glucose is absorbed.

It just goes to show how the old old assumptions about how rapidly the sugar content of various foods is absorbed into the bloodstream were frequently FALSE and inaccurate. Once again, here's a partial list of glycemic indexes from Pearson & Shaw's book, from highest to lowest:

glucose: 100
baked russet potatoes: 98
whole wheat bread: 72
white bread: 69
sucrose (table sugar): 59
ice cream: 36
fructose: 20

There are many ways of stopping the development of insulin resistance and spikes in blood glucose, try mixing in some psyllium husks into a glass of water and drinking before a meal, or mix in some fat and protein with your carbs, these all slow the rate at which the sugars enter the blood.

Yes indeed. There was some natural wisdom in the idea of putting a pat of butter on a slice of bread! :wink:

Bryan