MSM- recommended dose???

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I bought MSM. Each tablet contains 500mg. How much should I take per day? What do you suggest to me?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
thylax said:
Ok. So I bought MSM. Each tablet contains 500mg. How much should I take per day? What do you suggest to me?

I started out taking (2) 500 mg tabs per day.

Now I'm taking (2) 1500 mg tabs per day.

They also come in 1000 mg tabs.

---

Dosage Information

For arthritis: Take 500 mg two or three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide extra benefit. Rub the cream on the painful area four or five times a day for best results.

For back pain: Take 500 mg three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide extra benefit. Rub the cream on the painful area four or five times a day for best results.

For allergy symptoms: Take 500 mg twice a day.
Be sure to check out our Dosage Recommendations Chart for MSM, which lists therapeutic dosages for specific ailments at a glance.

Guidelines for Use

Take MSM with or directly after meals to lessen the possibility of gastrointestinal upset.

If you find that MSM increases your energy level, avoid taking it too close to bedtime.

For most ailments, allow at least a month to see results.

General Interaction

If you are on a blood thinner (anticoagulant), such as aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin), consult with your doctor before taking MSM. It can occasionally have a blood-thinning effect.
Note: For information on interactions with specific generic drugs, see our WholeHealthMD Drug/Nutrient Interactions Chart.

Possible Side Effects

Because no rigorously controlled studies of MSM usage of any length have been done in humans, long-term effects are not presently known.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
MSM Alleviates Arthritis Pain
Methylsulfonyl-methane (MSM), a naturally occurring sulfur-containing compound, may help decrease joint pain and improve physical functioning in people with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, reports Osteoarthritis and Cartilage (2005 Nov 22 [E-pub ahead of print]).

OA is a chronic, degenerative disease of the cartilage that lines and cushions the joints. It is more common in people over age 45. Although any joint may be affected, OA most frequently develops in the hips, knees, spine, and feet. When OA affects the knee joint, the progressive loss of....
(from Health Newsletter, DoctorsTrust.com)

powersam

Reaction score
well i take 3grams 3 times a day, for a daily dose of 9grams.

that would be far too many of your little pills. go buy some msm in bulkl, in powder form

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started taking 2 doses of 1500MG a day. One in the morning with Propecia and one in the evening when I get back from work. I don't feel any additional energy or anything like that, its almost just like taking my multivitamin.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
On the same note does MSM really help with hairloss control. I know that it helps with many other things including faster hair growth but does it stop hairloss or regrowth ?

powersam

Reaction score
it could help with individual hair quality, but no it wont affect the actual balding process in any way.

although... if i posted what i was gonna post it'd just look like i was trying to twist everything back to insulin resistance so i wont, but google msm an insulin resistance anyway :)

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well my understanding is that it doesn't help with the hair loss but it speeds up the process of hair growth inbetween phases when people start to shed when they are on their treatment. That's the main purpose of why I use it. I'm shedding now, but it's not from my treatment, I was shedding before I started, but I'm hoping that with this, I can speed up the process of my hair growing to avoid looking too bald.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
On the same note does MSM really help with hairloss control. I know that it helps with many other things including faster hair growth but does it stop hairloss or regrowth ?

I'm fairly certain MSM does not control or help w/ hairloss.

The reason people take if for hairloss? The hope is that if you're on some true hairloss regrowth measure (finasteride, minoxidil, etc.) that the MSM will allow your hair to grow in faster and hopefuly help to speed up the regrowth process.

Reaction score
Well I can only speak for myself . I am at the perfect time in my life to take this stuff.. I had a 4300 graft transplant with Alvi Armani a month ago today and want to use it to help kickstart the grafts to grow faster at the front of my scalp ..

I also just started minoxidil on my crown area to keep and regrow a little of what's there .. I barely have a bald spot on top but thats a good thing ..

So, the MSM for me is very beneficial .. Reason Number 1 , to kickstart the grafts implanted at the front third of my scalp. And Reason Number 2, to help the minoxidil and finasteride do their jobs in other areas of my real estate up there.

MSM alone is not a cure for baldness, but it is a great partner with the other treatments to help them work faster and more effectively IMO .. By the way, I take 6 grams a day of MSM , 3g at breakfast and 3g with my dinner everyday :)

All the best,
SNB