MSM

Doom

Reaction score
How much MSM should be taken daily as a supplement ? I have tablets from GNC that are 1500 MG. I take one a day. Should I increase the dosage ? Would 3000 MG be safe ? Thanks.

:2gunsfiring_v1:

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about people using 12-15mg with no ill effect.

I personally take 2.5g.

Speed of hair and nail growth all over my body has noticeably increased.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I take 2g per day, with definite results. A lot of body hair, especially vellous growth all over my back and forearms, etc.

3g is a good starting point. I would be taking this, but it's a bit more expensive to take another gram.

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
I take 5-6g a day. I honestly think you need that much to see a significant effect.

It's totally safe, you can't overdose on MSM.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Doom said:
How much MSM should be taken daily as a supplement ? I have tablets from GNC that are 1500 MG. I take one a day. Should I increase the dosage ? Would 3000 MG be safe ? Thanks.

:2gunsfiring_v1:

I take (2) 1500 mg gnc tabs per day - totally safe. If you experience gastric distress or tummy aches - cut your dosage back. Take them after a meal.

diffuse_curse

Reaction score
msm is oragnic sulfur..no side effects..and no a spical dosage..some doctor advises 750 mg a day..but most of 1500 mg even 3000mg..1000mg 0r 1500 mg is good i think..rarely some people have regrow..but this is exact hair really grow faster..i can see this..i like this..

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow... you guys are serious with dosing this stuff, lol.

I just started it at 500mg/day. Now you have me wondering if that's enough. I'm not expecting any regrowth from it, I just want to grow out my short haircut quicker than 1/2" per month. Some of the comments about this particular pill on drugstore.com implied they were getting anywhere from 1" to 1.75" per month - which seems a bit optimistic...

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
(excerpt from supplements index, re: MSM)

Health Benefits

MSM appears to inhibit pain impulses that travel along nerve fibers, acting as an analgesic. This property, along with the compound's potential anti-inflammatory actions, are often cited in explaining its use for combating the symptoms of arthritis, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome and allergies.

In addition, MSM may reduce muscle spasms, increase blood flow and possibly contribute to the maintenance and repair of cartilage. Studies in rats indicate that MSM may help to delay the growth of certain types of cancerous tumors.

Specifically, MSM may help to:

Relieve arthritis symptoms. Those who use MSM supplements contend that it not only helps treat osteoarthritis--the degenerative form of arthritis that wears down cartilage over time--but rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other autoimmune-related conditions as well.
Numerous studies have shown that sulfur levels in arthritic joints are lower than in healthy joints. MSM may help by delivering needed sulfur to the afflicted areas. Once in the joints, exactly how MSM works remains unclear: It may exert an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect similar to that of aspirin.

It may also help to maintain or repair cartilage, the gel-like substance that cushions joints and that is a key ingredient of connective tissue. In a preliminary, double-blind study of 16 patients with degenerative arthritis, the pateints who took 2,250 mg of MSM daily for six weeks reported an 82% reduction in pain on average. Only two of those takng the placebo reported decreased pain--about 20%.

Treat chronic back pain. Taken in conjunction with supplements such as SAMe and glucosamine sulfate, MSM may be useful for treating chronic back pain resulting from muscle strain, ligament sprain, or the early degenerative changes that can affect joints and discs in the back. Advanced disc disease does not appear to respond to MSM treatment, however.

Slow cancer development. Several rat studies done at Ohio State University and the Oregon Health Sciences University have shown that MSM significantly slows the development of mammary and colon tumors when the laboratory animals were given chemicals designed to cause cancer. In these studies, MSM did not prevent cancer, but it did delay it. In the breast cancer study, for instance, MSM stalled the appearance of tumors by an average of 100 days. (The equivalent of about 10 human years.) Much more research is needed to determine if MSM can truly slow the progress of cancer in humans.

Reduce allergy symptoms. MSM may block histamines, compounds that can irritate and inflame the membranes of the nose, eyes, and throat. Some people have found MSM more effective than antihistamines for allergies, without the side effects so common in standard prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

For arthritis: Take 500 mg two or three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide extra benefit. Rub the cream on the painful area four or five times a day for best results.

For back pain: Take 500 mg three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide extra benefit. Rub the cream on the painful area four or five times a day for best results.

For allergy symptoms: Take 500 mg twice a day.
Be sure to check out our Dosage Recommendations Chart for MSM, which lists therapeutic dosages for specific ailments at a glance.

Guidelines for Use

Take MSM with or directly after meals to lessen the possibility of gastrointestinal upset.

If you find that MSM increases your energy level, avoid taking it too close to bedtime.

For most ailments, allow at least a month to see results.

General Interaction

If you are on a blood thinner (anticoagulant), such as aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin), consult with your doctor before taking MSM. It can occasionally have a blood-thinning effect.
Note: For information on interactions with specific generic drugs, see our WholeHealthMD Drug/Nutrient Interactions Chart.

Possible Side Effects

Because no rigorously controlled studies of MSM usage of any length have been done in humans, long-term effects are not presently known.

Some people develop minor gastrointestinal discomfort, such as cramping and increased stool frequency with MSM use.

In rare cases, a skin rash may appear. Stop using MSM if this or any other allergic reaction occurs.

SarcasticHorse

Reaction score
So this stuff could speed up the possible regrowth effects of minoxidil/finasteride?

Also, how much back hair growth we talkin here? I got mine waxed and it has grown back much much slower since I've been on Propecia. I don't want to put on my gorilla suit just yet.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SarcasticHorse said:
So this stuff could speed up the possible regrowth effects of minoxidil/finasteride?

Also, how much back hair growth we talkin here? I got mine waxed and it has grown back much much slower since I've been on Propecia. I don't want to put on my gorilla suit just yet.

To be honest - I've been on MSM for over a year now - and I really don't see any difference in my hair (regrowth, growth rate, whatever).

However - after about 2 months of using the stuff - this nasty pain I'd had in my rotator cuff for years literally disappeared without a trace. So I'm still taking it for general health purposes.

It may have strengthened my nails a bit - but again - no difference in the growth rate that I can see.

SarcasticHorse

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
However - after about 2 months of using the stuff - this nasty pain I'd had in my rotator cuff for years literally disappeared without a trace. So I'm still taking it for general health purposes.

Yea I'm also quite curious of this because rheumatoid arhtritis is pretty rampant in my family and I'm already taking medication for this.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SarcasticHorse said:
hair_tomorrow said:

Yea I'm also quite curious of this because rheumatoid arhtritis is pretty rampant in my family and I'm already taking medication for this.

It wouldn't hurt you to try out some MSM if you haven't already. vitacost.com has 500, 1000 and 1500 mg tabs at decent prices. I used up my GNC 1500 mg tabs last week (way too expensive) - and am now just waiting for my pkg to arrive from vitacost.

I'm not recommending you drop your current arthritis meds in favor of MSM - but it might be worth some experimentation.

---
(excerpt from supplements index, re: MSM)

Specifically, MSM may help to:

Relieve arthritis symptoms. Those who use MSM supplements contend that it not only helps treat osteoarthritis--the degenerative form of arthritis that wears down cartilage over time--but rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other autoimmune-related conditions as well.

Numerous studies have shown that sulfur levels in arthritic joints are lower than in healthy joints. MSM may help by delivering needed sulfur to the afflicted areas. Once in the joints, exactly how MSM works remains unclear: It may exert an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect similar to that of aspirin.

For arthritis: Take 500 mg two or three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide extra benefit. Rub the cream on the painful area four or five times a day for best results.

powersam

Reaction score
buy the bulk powder, and dont bother with that linguisil stuff , its exactly the same. i take 3 x 2grams a day and its doing me just fine

powersam

Reaction score
if you were asking me, then as i said in the earlier post i take 3 doses of 2grams a day. so yes i take 6 grams daily spread over 3 doses a day.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
So is there any actual proof that this stuff (MSM) increases the growth rate of hair?

I can't seem to find any hard research on the web, just tons of "people say..." references.

Reaction score
Well I can only speak for myself . I am at the perfect time in my life to take this stuff.. I had a 4300 graft transplant with Alvi Armani a month ago today and want to use it to help kickstart the grafts to grow faster at the front of my scalp ..

I also just started minoxidil on my crown area to keep and regrow a little of what's there .. I barely have a bald spot on top but thats a good thing ..

So, the MSM for me is very beneficial .. Reason Number 1 , to kickstart the grafts implanted at the front third of my scalp. And Reason Number 2, to help the minoxidil and finasteride do their jobs in other areas of my real estate up there.

MSM alone is not a cure for baldness, but it is a great partner with the other treatments to help them work faster and more effectively IMO .. By the way, I take 6 grams a day of MSM , 3g at breakfast and 3g with my dinner everyday

All the best,
SNB

Leroy La Qua

Reaction score
MSM AND INCREASED BODY HAIR?

I am looking at adding MSM to my regimen but have read on some posts on this site that it has caused increased body hair for certain individuals , a side i am not that keen on. ;)
I am curious to here from users as to whether they have experienced increased hair growth on other areas of the body as a result of taking MSM eg eyebrows/back etc