Mtanner's Story - (26)

mtanner

Reaction score
Hi everybody. This site is a great resource, I've learned a lot just reading every ones' stores. I figured I'd try to get some more direct advice.

Soooo, I'm 26 years old, I noticed my hair was thinning about a half year ago, but didn't think much of it. However, recently certain friends of mine have pointed it out/made fun of me, leading me to become much more preoccupied with it. Initially, I thought it was relatively minor thinning. However, after looking at some of these posts, I think it may be a bit more advanced than I originally suspected. In the barber's chair today, the thinning on my crown looked really bad. Furthermore, my scalp is burning almost constantly on the crown. At first, I thought this might be because I work outside and get sunburned. But After wearing a hat, the burning has only gotten worse. Surely, a part of this is psychological, but it is definitely not all in(side) my head. I t burns as I write this... I appear to have male pattern baldness, progressing in what I understand to be a Norwood 3 Vertex. My father is nearly completely Bald at 60, so clearly male pattern baldness is in my genes.

I have become very upset about this. My hair has never been particular important to me, but the prospect of having a bald patch on my dome is causing me quite a bit anxiety. I seem to be thinnig on my temples as well, but I am much less concerned about this. So, my questions are as follow:

1- How advanced is my male pattern baldness? And is it in fact Norwood Vertex 3?

2-How quickly does thinning typically progress at this area of scalp, and at this stage??

3- What can I do about this constant burning pain on my crown? Does Nioxin and nizoral treat this?

4- Should I look into finasteride, and if so, are there any blood tests I should have done prior to taking it? I have to say that I am worried about the side effects...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ/RESPOND TO THIS!! I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT.

[attachment=2:29muwjf6]har3.jpg[/attachment:29muwjf6]

[attachment=1:29muwjf6]har2.jpg[/attachment:29muwjf6]

[attachment=0:29muwjf6]h1.jpg[/attachment:29muwjf6]

Attachments

• har3.jpg
    har3.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 189
  • har2.jpg
    har2.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 187
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 185

RSR38

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: M's story. Looking for some advice, thanks! W/ PICS.

You have pretty bad miniaturization going on at the crown. I think Norwood 3V is in your future as you said. The burning is common to male pattern baldness sufferers and I'd say at least 1/3 of new people on hair loss forums have experienced it. The line of thought is that the attack of DHT is causing inflammation to the follicles and that is what you are feeling.

You need to start finasteride and expect a few minor sides during the first month. After that, MOST people seem to adjust and tolerate finasteride. You also need minoxidil as well as Nizoral cream or shampoo. This is what works and is proven. No way to avoid going bald unless you get DHT under control NOW.

There is hope for you, because you still have hair covering the balding area. That hair will re-thicken and cover much better in several months of treatments or it will be nearly bald in several months without treatments. Your choice.

For now, I would go get some JUST FOR MEN brush in hair color and I would color the crown area to bring some look of pigmentation back to the miniaturized (and lighter colored) hairs. It helps a lot to cover the "see through" affect that thin hair has.

Good Luck. By the way, I am 39 and have gone from a much worse crown than yours to full head of hair again in 10 months time.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

There really isn't any way to prove it (because it could be psychological) but most of us anecdotally report that the "itching/burning" in the thinning areas is due to DHT attacking the follicles. Usually after being on finasteride for some timeframe, the itching/burning will go away or be reduced.

mtanner

Reaction score

Thanks for the quick response! I plan on picking up some Nizoral today, and making an appointment with a dermatologist, however, do you think it is absolutely necessary to start on minoxidil? As I understand it, once you begin using this stuff, you become dependent on it for life??
If possible, I would like to begin by using as few products as possible, although I understand that minoxidil may definitely be in my future...

I had been looking at concealers, but it hadn't occurred to me about hair dye, I'll look into that as well thanks. Does anybody have advice about concealers, preferably a spray, to use with or instead of the hair dye?

Also, I forgot to ask earlier, but are there any good products for getting sunscreen on to the thin spot, rubbing traditional cream doesn't cut it.

Thank You again!

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score

If you want any significant regrowth you will need to start on minoxidil.

finasteride will only help maintain what you have, it's the minoxidil that stimulates hair growth.

Yeah it's a complete pain in the *** to apply it twice a day but you can get it for cheap at the minoxidil direct website

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

I used to worry about the "for life" stuff but then I realized you're either gonna have to accept going bald or use it for life, it's one or the other. Easier to start now than later (with greater chances of success).

RSR38

Established Member
Reaction score

minoxidil is worth a shot. Here is a comparison of my crown in 2010 starting treatments and then at 6 months and 8 months. It's even better now, but I am waiting til the 1 year mark to post new pics.

Attachments

• 8mos10.jpg
    8mos10.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Micon303.jpg
    Micon303.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 170
  • HT4.jpg
    HT4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 173

mtanner

Reaction score

Thanks again guys.
I think that for the time being, I would be okay with maintaining what I have as long as I can halt the inflammation. finasteride can also add a slight bit of regrowth, correct? How much will nizoral help on it's own, if at all?

Is it worth saying that i don't seem to be experiencing a great deal of shedding? When I take showers or run my fingers through my hair, I don't come up with many strays, but I'm definitely thinning... ?

Also, in terms of spray concealers, are there any worth checking out? Not looking for something to use everyday, but maybe on weekends/going out...

I have some concerns about finasteride and its sides, but maybe it's better to post a question regarding that in the finasteride section.

Thanks again in advance for any additional advice, I'm not trying to over-burden this board, but as much feedback as possible would be great!

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: mtanner's story

nizoral will likely not do much on it's own, but it can help when combined with finasteride or nizoral. finasteride regrows hair in 2/3 patients, but 9/10 see "visible improvement" which means that most men see some amount of thickening if not hair regrowth (in terms of hair count).

Your crown is definitely thin, but it still seems to have good coverage, which means you are likely to see some thickening which will greatly improve how it looks. I would recommend trying finasteride for a year, then add minoxidil if you aren't happy with results. If you are happy to keep what you have now, finasteride will probably be all you need, and chances are you will see some improvement.

I am a NW2, heading to NW3 with vertex thinning. I have never noticed any increased shedding.. It's a gradual thinning of hair that makes you look bald, not sudden loss of hair. After taking finasteride for 3 weeks now, I have noticed my scalp itch is gone. No increase/decrease in shedding, or side effects.

Honestly, don't even bother worrying about side effects. If you are a healthy individual with no existing problems, it's extremely unlikely you will have problems.

Concealers now a days are fantastic. I have never used them, but I hear good things.

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Mtanner, I wish you all the best and like what some are saying, if you want to get more density in the area, you should definitely respond good. Your hair is in good shape and like I said, I think it should work for you. Did you happen to see how it became like that in the back, like start in a small area and progress abit out? I, myself, am dealing with I have no idea and battling mentally with others that think I am fine. All the best man!