Murakawa's Story - (Age 24, might start treatments soon)

Murakawa

Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking here for a long time. Perhaps about a year, who knows.

I decided to join up, primarily because I'm getting rather pissed off with my hair loss, and have decided to do something about it. For me, it's been a really slow thing. I first noticed it when I was about 18 or 19, and I'd say it's been a very gradual decline since then. I'm now 24. I can still get away with looking like I'm barely thinning, which is something I didn't expect to happen. I've mainly had a problem with the temple area, and because I've been blessed (cough) with a pretty high forehead anyway, it's more noticeable - at least to me. Maybe not to other people. Who knows.

However, it's now becoming a lot thinner on the top as well, which is annoying. So I have decided to take a trip to Boots and have a go at their hair retention programme. I understand from forum posts that this is basically just Propecia, which is fair enough. I plan on using this by itself for a little while and then adding whatever that foam is, and the shampoo too, perhaps. It depends.

I haven't really tried anything to prevent hairloss before - besides vitamins and changing shampoo, which didn't do a lot of good - so I'm sure I'll spend some time on here for advice and stuff.

I've decided that I'm going to stay positive about this but not get my hopes up too much - I've seen some success cases on here but also a lot of cases where nothing happened. I shaved my head last year and got tons of compliments (actually, more than I ever had with hair!) so if my little plan doesn't succeed then I'll just 'do a Moby' and live with it :)

Anyway, that's my story.

Hope you're all having a great weekend - I shall be back!

Murakawa

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Howdy

Photos for us to see? :)

Murakawa

Reaction score

I was going through my hard drive, looking for photos, but they're all rubbish. I mean, they don't really show anything, because they're just pictures of me with my friends/ex-girlfriend/in a dimly lit room. Not that I sit around in dimly lit rooms or anything.

And the only camera I have in my possession right now is my camera phone.

So, I will add pictures once I actually get some that show my hair!

Mura

RaginDemon

Reaction score

visit a derm man, thats the only way to figure how what the problem is, GL!

Murakawa

Reaction score
Re: Murakawa's story - (24 years old and thinning)

Hey guys!

I had my appointment with the Boots pharmacist and have ordered lots of delicious Propecia!

It's 1mg, and I was told not to take Regaine with it but I'm sure that's more to do with inter-company politics rather than for medical reasons.

I also bought some of that Nizoral stuff when I was there.

I'm taking my first Propecia tablet tonight. I'm nervous. I'm expecting weird side effects. But I'm also feeling pretty positive.

She took a few photographs at the consultation which she said she would give to me at the next appointment, which is in a month. So when I get those I'll scan them and put them up here. They look horrible though... ghastly light. Apparently I'm a Norwood 3 but not entirely convinced as I'm only slightly thinning at the crown.

Anyway, hope you're all doing really well.

Stephen

RaginDemon

Reaction score

GL on the treatment bro!

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Boots are a serious rip-off. You can get your medicine lots cheaper online :)

Murakawa

Reaction score

RaginDemon - thanks a lot, mate. I've done the first step. We shall see.

Stampede - I'm sure that's true, but I'm a lot happier going with what I know - especially when it comes to medication. ;)

RaginDemon

Reaction score

the first step is the hardest, once your on treatment, try not to stress over it too much

I honestly think stress plays a big part of it in term of causing hair loss.

Murakawa

Reaction score

Thanks RD.

I actually think stress is a huge factor and I wonder if it's a trigger of sorts.

My grandfather had a full head of hair when he was a teenager, until he was shot in the arm one day when in army training. His arm had to be taken off (I guess in those days they didn't have the facilities to save it.)

He was 17. Allegedly, he had lost all of his hair by his early 20s, most probably due to the stress of the whole thing.

I've had my fair number of stresses but I'm not sure if my hair loss has corresponded to those times when its at it's peak.

M

RaginDemon

Reaction score

wow that was a serious incident indeed.

Well I hope by getting on proved med's will erease some of your stresses, and I wish you best luck bro!

Murakawa

Reaction score

So, one month in on Propecia, and Nizoral shampoo.

I had my hair cut at the weekend and it looked a LOT thinner on top and on the crown than it has done before. Could this be due to Propecia shedding or something? My hair HAS been coming out a bit lately but I didn't think it was any more than usual. Certainly no less.

I'm just wondering, if Propecia is simply going to keep my hair in the state that it's in right now, whether it's worth keeping up with it. I think I'd rather keep my head completely shaved than stay like this :p

Any ideas?

RaginDemon

Reaction score

it should at least help you maintain what you have, most users experience various degrees of regrowth.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Hey don't worry, my hair looked pretty thin after a couple months on propecia too. Don't worry, it seems like this happens to a lot of people dont get discouraged give it a year before you decide to quit. Stick with it and youll see results.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

give it a full 12 months to make a strong evaluation.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I was more anxious than nervous taking my first finasteride pill. I knew about the side effects, but I wasn't really worried about them b/c we'd all like to think "It won't happen to me." So w/e....stop stressing until you have something to stress about.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

after taking finasteride, I am definitely less stressed, cuz I know I am doing all I can do to fight it already, the rest will be up to God to decide.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score

Ragin does god want you to take finasteride and alter what he has meant for you?

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I think he just meant that hes doing all he can by taking the best available treatments now its out of his hands.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score

God gave you hair loss in the first place.

Don't forget to thank the old guy :punk: