Mushroooms

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
Just came across this when looking for a recipe with mushrooms.

The most commonly consumed mushroom in the United States is Agaricus bisporus or the white button mushroom. A. bisporus has two other forms - Crimini or brown mushrooms with a more earthy flavor and firmer texture, and Portabella mushrooms with a large umbrella-shaped cap and meaty flavor.

All three mushrooms, but especially the fresh button mushrooms, possess substances that inhibit the activity of aromatase (an enzyme involved in estrogen production), and 5-alpha-reductase (an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). The latest findings show that white button mushrooms can reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. An extract of white button mushrooms decreased cell proliferation and decreased tumor size in a dose-dependent manner. The chemoprotective effect can be seen with an intake of about 100 grams (3.5 ozs) of mushrooms per day.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I will add mushrooms to my daily intake of veggies then! :punk:

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
Just came across this when looking for a recipe with mushrooms.

The most commonly consumed mushroom in the United States is Agaricus bisporus or the white button mushroom. A. bisporus has two other forms - Crimini or brown mushrooms with a more earthy flavor and firmer texture, and Portabella mushrooms with a large umbrella-shaped cap and meaty flavor.

All three mushrooms, but especially the fresh button mushrooms, possess substances that inhibit the activity of aromatase (an enzyme involved in estrogen production), and 5-alpha-reductase (an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). The latest findings show that white button mushrooms can reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. An extract of white button mushrooms decreased cell proliferation and decreased tumor size in a dose-dependent manner. The chemoprotective effect can be seen with an intake of about 100 grams (3.5 ozs) of mushrooms per day.

link ?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but is the inhibiting effect significant to stop hairloss? prob not... link please?

Yuber

Reaction score
Go for the 1up mushroom. Not sure about the inhibiting effect, but it is said to give instant super growth.

grow_your_own_1up_mushroom_post_embed.jpg

gyo_1up_mushroom.jpg

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
They also make for a great afternoon of crazy visuals and interesting thought patterns.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Yuber said:
Go for the 1up mushroom. Not sure about the inhibiting effect, but it is said to give instant super growth.

grow_your_own_1up_mushroom_post_embed.jpg

gyo_1up_mushroom.jpg

hahaahah good one! :punk:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
Sorry forgot about the original link but you can find more info by googling for: white button mushrooms + aromatase, or 5 alpha-reductase

on pubmed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1717 ... d_RVDocSum

Going to make myself a nice mushroom omelette now :)

If you cook them, you will lost all the benefits from the srooms BTW! RAW is the best.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
ewwww :puke: are you sure? raw mushrooms are horrible

btw I found that mushroom omelettes are friggin delicious, I am going to make them more often :)

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
I ate Magic Mushrooms this weekend. All they did was make me laugh.
Too early to tell if I will be sprouting new hair.