Must be on Propecia to get hair transplant?

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on Propecia for about a year and never really saw any good results. Since I've been off of it (about a month) I've not really noticed much difference in my hair loss.

My questions is, do I HAVE to be on Propecia to get hair transplant? Also, is hair transplant possible for diffuse thinning?

s.a.f

Reaction score
When you say no good results do you mean no improvement because if you only saw no further loss then thats a good result.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bupolo said:
I was on Propecia for about a year and never really saw any good results. Since I've been off of it (about a month) I've not really noticed much difference in my hair loss.

My questions is, do I HAVE to be on Propecia to get hair transplant? Also, is hair transplant possible for diffuse thinning?

You won't start losing hair (if it happens at all) until about 3-4 months after you stop Propecia then watch out !!

It's a very good idea to be on propecia after you have a hair transplant and unfortunately that means forever

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed pretty much the same amount of hair loss on day one as I saw on day 365, I don't think I saw any less hair loss, and I still had the itchy scalp the entire time, although maybe "a little" less.

However, I'd consider hair transplant sometime in the future, so it sounds like I should probably get back on Propecia? I've been off it for about 2 months, and haven't seen any increase in hair loss (actually seems I'm losing less, but I also have less hair now :( ). Think I should be ok going back on it now, or will that fluctuation of my hormones be too bad?

I'm also considering going on Rogaine now, considering I'm cutting my hair so much shorter these days.

Thank you for your help guys! It's really appreciated

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
Additionally, the reason I went off Propecia is because my skin was turning to sh*t, so I think it was clearly raising my testosterone levels (I have naturally low testosterone). I'm not sure if that changes anything.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bupolo said:
Additionally, the reason I went off Propecia is because my skin was turning to sh*t, so I think it was clearly raising my testosterone levels (I have naturally low testosterone). I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Do you treat your low testosterone or just live with it ?

If Propecia raised your T level at all it was verry little. You should have got a blood test to verify your level on Propecia

bupolo

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55, I live with it. I don't really have any of characteristics of low testosterone, other than difficulty putting on a lot of muscle.

Do you have any thoughts about going back on Propecia now? I've been off of it for about a month and have not seen any change in hair loss or scalp feeling or anything, yet . . .

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well thats the thing about meds you can only guess as to how well (if at all) they are working. They certainly work for some people in halting any further loss.
I'm a nw6 naturally and I still take a low dose of finasteride everyday I dont want to lose anymore if thats what nature (genetics) has instore for me.
Any loss from a 2 month layoff should be minimal.