My 8 year hairloss fight experience !

patoot

Reaction score
Hello

I started losing my hair right when i turned 17 in Oct 2008 and now am approaching 25
I didnt do anything about it until April 2011 when i started using Revivogen
i didnt experience any regrowth but my hairloss almost stopped or at least the hairloss rate decreased dramatically

but i wasn't satisfied since i was still losing my hair and it was a matter of years or even months before things get worse so i stopped Revivogen and started using Rogaine in December 2012 and again no noticeable regrowth but every year or so i went through a phase where i lost a good amount of hair that never grow again .. am still using Rogaine till today but decided to get on finasteride so i bought Proscar and i cut the pill into 4 quarters and i have been on it since February 2016 .. i didnt experience any side effects but i went through a bad shed after 1 month of getting on finasteride and at the same time my libido became moderate which is a good thing since it was very high before finasteride and i think thats good since very high libido means high DHT level .. I buzzed my hair to stop worrying about shedding and till now nothing new but i noticed last week that my libido is again very high after it was moderate when i first got on the pill

what do you guy make of that ?? .. should i wait 6 months or 1 year for finasteride and is shedding a good or a bad sign ??

PS: i think that going 8 years without losing my hair completely is a good sign that treatments are slowing things cause most people lose the whole thing in a shorter amount of time

regards

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
Up to you, but I would wait a year because the hair growth cycle. The problem with "thinning" while on finasteride is that current hair strands don't thin; hair is simply dead material. That thinning is only an illusion of decreased density. You have no way of gauging whether or not those shed hairs are going to grow back if you are going to quit before the hair follicle even has a chance to start reproducing hairs. The honest truth is: they may or may not grow back, but you lose those hairs anyways if you quit finasteride; plus you have only been on finasteride for a month which is way too early to conclusively deduce whether or not finasteride is bad for your hair.

My personal opinion, keep using finasteride. For the vast majority, finasteride has helped people with their hair and they've experienced similar, if not the same, symptoms as you. But again, its your hair.

EDIT: Also, your body goes through a massive shed when there is a huge internal change in the body, so yes, it is normal.

patoot

Reaction score
thank you for the feedback

UPDATE: since buzzing my hair i dont see much shedding .. you might think its because my hair is very short so it makes sense that shedding stops but i did cut it that short once before (6 months ago) and it kept shedding .. maybe an illusion but i will take it as a good sign for the moment and hopefully when it grows longer it will look thicker and fuller

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
When you're scalp goes through Telogen Effluvium, it can give you the illusion of thinning hair. Most people who start on finasteride experience this a couple months into their regimen and mistakenly think that finasteride is exacerbating their male pattern baldness, but chances are the hairs that they shed will grow back anyways because your body is adjusting to the levels of androgens in your body--you've basically shocked your body. This happens to people in chemo therapy, sudden change in diet, etc. You have nothing to worry about--keep up with your regimen and monitor it over the months--you should be fine.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
telogen effluvium: it's when your hair follicles prematurely go into the resting phase. It happens to everyone on finasteride at some point dw.