My attempt at resoring my hair - With pictures along the way

michealbren

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 28 years old, have been losing my hair for about 4 years, has just been getting gradually thinner at the front of my head. I suppose I would be a norwood 2 or a 2a? Maybe someone can point out if I'm wrong. Decided in February to try and do something about it, have been using regaine/rogaine 5% foam since then, twice a day although I probably miss it once or twice a week. I've seen ok results so far, I think I've started to grow some hair back, the hair I have seems to be getting a bit darker and I think I see some new very small and fine hairs appearing. I'm not sure if my increased thickness is down to the fact that I changed to a very good barber around the same time I started this and he cuts it to make it look a bit thicker, I'm uploading 4 pictures that show me at the beginning vs 1 month in, 2 months in, 3 months in and 4 months in. I had a different guy cut my hair for month 4 and it looks thinner than it did in month 3 in my opinion. I've taken all the pictures in the exact same location under the exact same lighting so they should be good for comparisons.

Anyway I just wanted to document my journey and share it with whoever wants to see it. Will be adding nizoral to my regimen for the next few months to see what that does for me. I'm open to any hints, tips or criticism from other users, so please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Beginning VS 1 month in.jpg
    Beginning VS 1 month in.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Beginning VS 2 months in II.jpg
    Beginning VS 2 months in II.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Beginning VS 3 months in.jpg
    Beginning VS 3 months in.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Beginning VS 4 months in.jpg
    Beginning VS 4 months in.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 372

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good progress! Happy for you. I would say you're actually thinning in a Norwood 6 pattern as it's basically the entire top region.

I would suggest you add in Finasteride for long term maintenance. Having said that, Minxodil can maintain above baseline for under a decade in good respondents. Results may peak up to 1 year on Rogaine.

You have recovered some hair at the corner of your hairline too. It appears soft at the moment but should become like your other terminal hairs over time.

I'll be following this anyway.

In regards to Nizoral. Ketoconazole has been shown to reduce inflammation, itchyness and interfere with DHT locally in trials. But really when people drop Nizoral, they don't lose gains, so makes me think what exactly is it doing. I would use it if you have dandruff or a very red scalp/dermatitis, otherwise don't sweat it too much.

michealbren

Reaction score
Ok so with the Norwood classification, you are looking at the way you look to be headed when you are completely bald rather than what's there now? I thought it would be how it looks now and given that the front half of the head is thinner than the back I thought the 2 or 2a looked the closest, but I get what you are saying so thanks for helping me figure that out. And the 6 looks a lot closer alright or possibly the 5A. Tried Finasteride before for a few weeks but didn't feel great while I was on it, so I stopped, also the doctor warned me that you have to be careful around pregnant women while taking it, make sure to wash hands really thoroughly after taking it etc, my wife is 5 weeks pregnant so I won't be considering that in the near future anyway.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well you can look at how you are now for Norwood scale or what the pattern looks to be heading. I suppose both are important.

I can see why you're apprehensive about finasteride. Trials show there is no risk to the fetus as long as she doesn't orally ingest the medication or absorb it transdermally (skin).

The doctor said that because there is a theoretical risk, it's very low though.

Anyway good results. I see what you mean about the A pattern, it could be heading for 5A or something.

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro, your hair is exactly like mine. Let me guess, when you grow it out your hairline stays the same length while the rest grows? I'm on finasteride and min and nizoral too...add finasteride man, I held off for two years while taking minoxidil cuz I thought itd be enough, but if there's still DHT, then there will be hair loss too. The sides aren't as bad as people say, I took it when I was 20 and got sides, but I know I was imagining them because the day I quit I was f**king like a rabbit again...

MickeySmith

Reaction score
Great progress

Hi there

I can see the progress that you have made just by using the Rogaine. Sadly, once you stop using the Rogaine, any gains you made will have gone. I did pretty much the same thing as yourself and it is a real up hill battle. I have to say that you are clearly winning the battle and you are to be commended.
I opted for a FUE transplant (4100 grafts) I just couldn't live without my hair and once I had receeded back to a Norwood 5 I said enough is enough. I was sick a tired of using products like Rogaine and Kabuki etc. I am now 8 weeks post op and although a lot of the hair has shedded, I am already seeing some early re growth and I feel awesome. DSC_0266.jpgDSC_0279.jpg

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
No finasteride and your long term prospects are pretty poor. Gt on finasteride, luckily you're responding very well to minoxidil so that's a great start

Daps27

Reaction score
Hey..based on the pictures you have put up there, i can say there is definitely some improvement. guess whatever you are doing, seems to be working well for you.Just be positive and keep doing whatever you are doing. Good luck.

michealbren

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Just wanted to update this, a little over 5 months in now and things are going pretty well, Kenny-K you are bang on it looks great when short but then as I let it grow out, it stays the same length at the front, but with that said I'm noticing that each time I get it cut it appears to fill in a little bit more, so I'm hoping I am getting some peach fuzz hair that is getting stronger and stronger, but I don't know if that's right, just my theory. Look long term aim will be to get a transplant but the short term pricing of minoxidil is better for me right now.
Beginning VS 5 months in.jpg