My brother is balding-my parents won't let him do anything

G

He's 19 now, but I noticed it last summer when he was still 18, so it probably started at least a year ago. He still has 95% of his hair but because I was losing hair myself, and caught mine relatively early, I noticed his as well. He is not as far along as I was when I got on drugs but his also started earlier than mine did, at least 2 years earlier, so his is probably more aggressive.

Anyway my parents won't let him start any drugs because they think that I myself am crazy for even taking anything to stop it. My dad doesn't care that he's bald and my mom says I'm attractive with or without hair. Well thanks mom but I'd prefer to keep it if I can. They don't want him to obsess over it like they think I do. I don't really. I just pop the pill.

I told him that if they care about him at all then they will let him see a dermatologist, the same one I see, and get a prescription for Proscar. He wants to be an actor and I told them it's even more important for actors to keep their hair than other people. If he doesn't get on drugs then I'm confident he will end up NW5 like my dad.

Don't think there's anything I can do because he doesn't disobey them and he won't until he's finished with college and out of the house, which is like 3 more years. He'll probably be NW3 by then. It really bothers him as well and he wants to do something about it before it gets serious. I felt obligated to tell him that he was in fact losing his hair because I didn't think my parents would give him any sh*t about taking drugs.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Funny, my younger brother is 18 and his hair is starting to thin out...my mother actually told him to go to a Doctor and get a prescription for propecia just like i did...He doesnt want to though...he said hed rather wait and if he sees his hair gettin worse then he'll jump on finasteride...I tried to tell him the sooner the better, but he doesnt listen. o well.

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
Funny, my younger brother is 18 and his hair is starting to thin out...my mother actually told him to go to a Doctor and get a prescription for propecia just like i did...He doesnt want to though...he said hed rather wait and if he sees his hair gettin worse then he'll jump on finasteride...I tried to tell him the sooner the better, but he doesnt listen. o well.

yeah thats just stupid of him. if you're losing hair at 18 then it's probably pretty aggressive and the earlier you start the more you can keep

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
It can take a long time to get to a NW3. I started losing my hair around the same time as your brother. Let him know his options but I too think it is a bit too early. See how he handles it.

G

gsxr60097 said:
It can take a long time to get to a NW3. I started losing my hair around the same time as your brother. Let him know his options but I too think it is a bit too early. See how he handles it.

My dad was NW3 in his early twenties after starting to lose it at 18. He was NW4 at 30. My moms side doesnt have any real hair loss so it's not too unreasonable to expect he will follow my dads pattern without drug intervention

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:

yeah thats just stupid of him. if you're losing hair at 18 then it's probably pretty aggressive and the earlier you start the more you can keep

Yep funny thing is, his wasnt really even noticeable this past summer and thats when i noticed mine and i started freaking out...he was busting my balls all summer....fast forward 8 months he has thinning all over...prob. worse than mine to be honest...ill be 24 in August. I think he is in the denial stage right now.

G

SkylineGTR said:
dude if he is over 18 he can do whatever he wants himself.

oh really. how's he going to get an appointment with a derm when it's on their health insurance? and hes not going to buy drugs online. he has to go through them just like i did.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
if he hammers your parents enough, Im sure theyll buckle eventually. Why wont your dad let him anyway...he's a Doctor, he should know the finasteride is a very safe drug.

G

if he hammers your parents enough, Im sure theyll buckle eventually. Why wont your dad let him anyway...he's a Doctor, he should know the finasteride is a very safe drug.

he just doesnt care enough to yet i guess either.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:

he just doesnt care enough to yet i guess either.

poor kids...they dont realize the battle that lies ahead!!!...He's lucky i already did all the research for him so all he has to do is ask.

powersam

Reaction score
i dunno jayman, as the older brother you are meant to pave the way. this is something you should be helping out with. if any of my brothers show signs i'll be telling them all i know, showing them this site, and making sure they know how to get hold of everything they might need if they decide to go ahead with treatment.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what's the problem just get him some proscar yourself
he can take it and thenll never know -everybody's happy

G

roki said:
what's the problem just get him some proscar yourself
he can take it and thenll never know -everybody's happy

you don't understand. he won't take it without them knowing about it. i could get him the drugs from inhouse or united or whatever but he wouldn't take them unless our parents said it was okay.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if he is under your rent's insurance it doesn't matter what THEY say.. he just has to pay any copays and the bills involved. He has his own card right?

They don't have a say in what coverage he can and cant have... he is either on the plan or he isn't. It just up to him to pay the bills.

Now if your parents pay for everything then he just needs to get a job.

He's just whipped by your parents i guess. because he has the freedom to do whatever he wants.

beaner

Reaction score
JayMan said:
SkylineGTR said:

oh really. how's he going to get an appointment with a derm when it's on their health insurance? and hes not going to buy drugs online. he has to go through them just like i did.

Jayman, your brother doesn't need permission to use your parents insurance or make an appointment with a derm if he's covered under the plan. There are condfidentiality laws protecting your brother from your parents even finding out. He can call the insurance company, request his own card, and ask that any statements pertaining to his treatment go to a different address. He can also password protect his records with the company so no one can get information without it if they decide to call in and snoop.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fuc*k,

I would have loved someone caring about my hairloss and advising me like Jayman does to his little bro. sh*t, the most I got out of my family is the "I don't see any hairloss, its probably the way you cut your hair".

Bleh.

vartex

Reaction score
SkylineGTR said:

See, that's what you think. I'm 21 and I can't do whatever I want quite yet. My parents still pay my tuition, they pay for my apartment, they pay for my insurance, etc. The only thing I pay are the house bills, and that's it. I think next year they'll give me a lump sum of 35k and then I'm off on my own.

As for me, I stopped caring about my hair. No longer on any medication or anything. It was just a waste of time to begin with.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
My younger brother is facing the same problem. He's a strong NW2, and is kind of obsessed with his hair, unfortunately, because his girlfriend makes it a constant reminder that he's losing his hair.

I've suggested treatment, told him about it, and even offered him some, after he talked to his doctor. He's just too shy to do anything about it. What a shame, because I really want him to be confident in himself, and I know that his hair does it for him.