My Density, quite surprised.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always considered a hair transplant at some point in the future. I really wanted to do as much as possible on my own before getting a consultation, ie. roughly how many grafts I need, and most importantly what results can I expect.

I decided to measure my density in various areas, my hair is a few inches long so I know roughly what thickness the various parts of my head are. I started out with the front part, the well known 'island' at the front section. I placed four dots with a pen to make a cm square, and took hold of the hairs within that box then cut the hairs off. My thought was to count all hairs, divide by 2 and get an approximate graft/cm density.

I wasn't surprised, 89 hairs were counted. It doesn't LOOK very thin, it looks like normal hair, but certainly FEELS thin.

Then I took some hair from the back near my neck using a mirror drawing the box, I erred on the side of caution to ensure an underestimate rather than an overestimate.

It looked like a lot of hair, I imagined probably 250 hairs, as I got to 200, I thought it would be quite odd having 300...but the hairs never seemed to disappear, it was fairly meticulous and took me around 30 mins to complete, but in the end, I counted 542 hairs. :shock:

I was quite stunned at that. I thought surely not. In a way I was depressed because I assumed from the front, I've lost 462 hairs, in another way I was happy because my donor area was ample to say the least. Then I started researching hair density more, and found that the neck area, frontal hairline and temple parts are generally varying in density than the rest of the head. I further took two more samples, one from the side, and one from the top nearer the crown, but not at the crown. The side just above the ear, had 232 hairs, and the top near the crown had 292 hairs.

It's quite clear then that (at least for my head) that density varies greatly even in areas where there is no male pattern baldness (side and back).

If I achieve side hair density all over then that would be great. One weakness in my analysis is that I don't know the ratio of 1:2:3:4 hair grafts, so I cannot say how many grafts I'll need, but if we are to assume 1graft=2hairs then 80 grafts/sqcm minimum for my results. 100 grafts/sqcm would be ideal. Another weakness although not overall that significant are the hairs in telogen phase. But that will always be the case, and all hairs will never at all times be growing.

It's quite enlightening seeing exactly how many hairs make up the thickness you want. If I wanted perfect results I'd need 200 grafts/sqcm!! A talented surgeon among the best could achieve half that. But then, native density is rarely that thick in the areas requiring work (frontal third).

I'm going to get my nephew when no one's looking, and take a sample from his hairline, I want to know roughly my original hairline density! :crazy: If 89 hairs in front is 'now' then 45 grafts is no where near satisfactory for me. Side hair is nice, it's thick enough and mouldable into many styles, that was 232 hairs, or around 115 grafts. I wonder how many doctors could achieve that. I was starting to think my expectations were unrealistic, which was quite funny considering I've read so much about hair transplants that I knew what I was talking about. It dawned on me a hair transplant may not be the panacea I was hoping for, even at a NW3.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
It dawned on me a hair transplant may not be the panacea I was hoping for, even at a NW3.

Unless of course I use all my donor area, which for a NW3 might be a bit silly. But will I have to? I measured a 13cm line at my neck part, a line just 1cm thick would be 3500 grafts approx, 2cm thick around 7000 grafts. This line does not include the sides. So I hope the doctor I choose would likewise confirm I could get my "unrealistic" results in my first hair transplant whilst saving donor near the sides for any future baldness. I have got decent results with dutasteride 0.5mg, after a hair transplant I'll be on 2.5mg, pluz Nizoral everyday, minoxidil everyday. The big 3, sort of, supercharged....to maintain/improve, for as long as possible.

Hair greed, you bet. :shakehead:

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Does ne1 have ne suggestions? I'd like to also know if there r ne surgeons who do a very detailed analysis Pre-hair transplant? Ie density mapping, dht sensitivity etc? I know dr benstein does an analysis for about 300 dollars, just wondering if there r ne others?

Also want to know if there r ne tools to measure hair counts? Takes ages counting! Maybe I could get a very sensitive set of scales that can be calibrated each time. I think a hair count is essential to monitor whether treatments r working or not. On my head 100 extra hairs a square inch is invisible in appearance and in FEEL. Maybe at onset of treatment then at 3 month intervals, I could also spot test multiple treatments simultaneously at an acceptable distance from each other. Illusions r very common unless on slick bald areas. U can want a treatment to work or not work so badly u may convince urself of whatever u want to believe! At least with regular hair counts u can be assured. Knowing a hair count is better than constantly shifting minds day to day on whether ur thinning or thickening.

Any ideas r welcome.

Ps: typed this post on my iphone, took me a while !

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
It's quite clear then that (at least for my head) that density varies greatly even in areas where there is no male pattern baldness (side and back).

Maybe you have lost density on the sides. I know that I have (because parts of my side hair are becoming see-through).