My Dinner with Dr. Gho

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I had dinner with Dr. Gho, and Laura, the owner of HerAlopecia.com last night in San Francisco.

Anyone have any questions?

HairLossTalk.com

G

I have a few questions. What did you guys talk about? What questions did you ask them?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Axon - be specific :)

badass - go ahead and ask your questions.

We discussed bazan, and hair multiplication, and his current transplant procedure, which, assuming all is correct, is far superior (in at least a couple ways) to current hair transplant techniques. We discussed the ISHRS, bosley, hairsite, hairlosshelp, you name it.

The issue of the horrible state of the medical system here in the USA, and the "god complex" of many doctors, as well as the unethical and uneducated level of their training and lack of concern for patients and poor medical system and insurance system was also a very popular topic. Both myself, Dr. Gho, and Laura from HerAlopecia.com were all in agreement in our disappointment of how things are these days.

Everything was touched on. He even asked me if I "grew boobs" from Propecia :)

HairLossTalk.com

G

Well what did they say about bosley? It seems like some of the guys on here say they are evil because they have bad quality and are a rip off. Yet others say they are good because they have good quality and are working on hair cloning. Also what is going to be next as far as non-surgical treatment for hairloss?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I think the general idea is that everyone is spending a lot of money right now trying to do what Gho has already done. Or says he has done. That is, determine whether Dermal papilla cells are the key, and how to use them to create new follicles. So when I raised the issue of Bosley, I got a mixed response. He feels they are all barking up the wrong tree right now by focusing on Dermal Papilla cells as the cells which contain the hair growth properties.

Apparently Bazan, Bosley, and several others are focusing a lot of cash on dermal papillas, when Gho says he has already proven that these are not the key cells.

Bosley has a bad rep for doing bad transplants in the past, but it has new ownership and ... the fact that they're in the race for follicular cloning can be looked at either as a good thing, or just another way to make billions of dollars. I suppose it can be both.

HairLossTalk.com

Axon

Reaction score
Is there a time table on HM? Has he made any progress?

Did he talk about the actual techniques involved?

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com,

1) Did Gho say that he still plans on releasing HM by 2006?
2) Did you ask Gho about the level of density that he can achieve with HM? How does it compare to traditional hair transplants in terms of density?
3) Did you get any information on the potential cost of this procedure?
4) Did Gho talk about any possible collaboration with Bazan or Aderans?

Thanks.

G

Dr Gho

Did Dr Gho say when he will start hair multiplication in Europe or Arubia.

Does he need any test subjects.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Axon said:
Is there a time table on HM?
I asked him this. Right now he is running both Gho Clinic and Gho Pharma. Gho Pharma is his main company, and it apparently takes up a significant amount of his time. He is pulled in several directions, including several other health related projects including childrens skin conditions, burn healing, and diseases. He runs both companies and the whole hair multiplication thing is something he does somewhat on the side, as an added interest. As such, other things take priority sometimes, and hair projects have to come second. He seems to be a rather powerful guy, with a lot of responsibility, and a lot of things going on under his administration.

The timetable is also largely influenced by the current roadblock he and his team have hit. That is - inability to obtain consistency in results. He has isolated the correct cells to inject and do the job, however, a significant % of men will not actually "take root" and grow hairs, while another significant % of men *will* grow hair. Unfortunately, such a hit and miss situation makes it completely impossible to call it "ready for the public". Its interesting because he also said that even on the same *person*, there will be certain cells, in certain areas of the head that will and wont take root. This would result in guys with patchy hair on certain parts of their head and no hair in other parts. Completely unmarketable. The timeline is dependent entirely upon figuring out how to attain 100% consistency.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
hair mchair said:
1) Did Gho say that he still plans on releasing HM by 2006? 2) Did you ask Gho about the level of density that he can achieve with HM? How does it compare to traditional hair transplants in terms of density? 3) Did you get any information on the potential cost of this procedure? 4) Did Gho talk about any possible collaboration with Bazan or Aderans?
1) Its all dependant upon figuring out the above mentioned roadblock.
2) I didn't ask this, but in discussing his current hair transplant technique, we both agreed that you can only implant so many hairs up front because the skin can only handle so much. I don't know if or how this is affected by HM.
3) I didn't ask this either. :( Im sorry. I should have gotten a list before the dinner, but I wanted the dinner to be confidential until afterwards.
4) Yes. In fact, the girl who runs HerAlopecia.com is a relative of Dr. Bazan's and I raised this fact during dinner. Gho immediately began asking her the best way to get in touch with Bazan, mentioned that he hadn't had any luck contacting Bazan, and expressed great interest in talking to him. His reason? "They're going about this entirely the wrong way. They're focusing on the Dermal Papilla and you CANT focus on that, we've already proven those are not the correct cells. And he's saying that he's going to have something in September. I just don't understand how. I was hoping to talk with him about it but can't get ahold of him".

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Redbone said:
Why did he ask you if you had man boobs and what did you all have to eat? Was this an upscale restaurant?
We were discussing my experinces with Propecia, and high estrogen and he started laughing, made the motion of breasts with his hands, and asked me if I had grown boobs. I said "I did not have the pleasure!". Laura was laughing. He's a really nice guy. Yes it was a nice restaurant. Very expensive.

jblig said:
Did he excuse himself when he had to take a piss and who picked up the tab???
There was no pissing involved :) He paid.

nickk said:
Did Dr Gho say when he will start hair multiplication in Europe or Arubia.
Probably too early to tell, but he is performing his unique transplant technique in both locations right now. I would assume Aruba would be a location for HM as well, if and when...

Healthy Nick said:
What were his opinions on Propecia?
Seemed quite "for" it. In fact, even suggested Laura use 5mg finasteride for her female androgenetic alopecia. He said he'd seen the studies on women and believed it would definitely stop the hair loss for even her. Both of us were confused why he suggested 5mg. He replied mentioning something about that merck couldn't market proscar for hair loss, or do FDA trials for it for hair loss, so they had to modify the dosage, and thats why its 1mg suggested instead of 5mg. I think side FX were a big issue in why they lowered it though too.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
All they need to do is figure out this one last thing and everything seems to be set. If Gho was being honest ( i have no reason to believe otherwise at this time ) he's got it down. Its ready. Its just the consistency issue, which may or may not be a long time to fix. He said he is going to publish his findings regarding this dermal papilla confusion, and I pointed out that competitors like Bosley are going to end up redirecting their teams and money because of his hard work, and he said he knew, and just kind of shook his head. Kinda sucks when you don't have ownership over your own ideas. He did say he has the patents, etc... so maybe that will help in that area.

You guys really should look in to his current hair transplant technique though. He's developed a technique where he actually extracts the hairs from the back hair by hair, and does it in a manner that the actual extracted hair can still grow back. Meaning no loss of density in back, recreation of follicles for the front, and at a cost that is about 1/3 what a traditional transplant is costing right now.

To me thats a big deal!

HairLossTalk.com

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
You guys really should look in to his current hair transplant technique though. He's developed a technique where he actually extracts the hairs from the back hair by hair, and does it in a manner that the actual extracted hair can still grow back. Meaning no loss of density in back, recreation of follicles for the front, and at a cost that is about 1/3 what a traditional transplant is costing right now.

To me thats a big deal!

HairLossTalk.com

Holy sh*t!!! That is amazing. :lol: How the hell does he do that, does he do it now, and why isn't everyone else doing it?

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
HairlossTalk said:

To me thats a big deal!

HairLossTalk.com

Holy sh*t!!! That is amazing. :lol: How the hell does he do that, does he do it now, and why isn't everyone else doing it?

Thats what I would like to know. 1-1=0. If you take a hair from one area and put it in another than how could you NOT lose density from the area the hair was taken from?

What was the deal with having a "confidential dinner"? What was the need for being so hush hush and then asking us to ask you questions when the meeting was already over? I dont get it.

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
His transplant procedure seems bogus. If that's the case, it's almost as good as HM. I mean if the donor hair, theoretically, was able to stay in the donor area while the follicle moved to the front of the head, then you could do this innumerable times, meaning there's never a loss of donor hair, meaning that you could keep it going. Right? Or can you only do it once? Anyway, there would be no need for HM in that case, as his method would provide all the hair anyone would need. I say, impossible!

Axon

Reaction score
MidnightFlyer said:
His transplant procedure seems bogus. If that's the case, it's almost as good as HM. I mean if the donor hair, theoretically, was able to stay in the donor area while the follicle moved to the front of the head, then you could do this innumerable times, meaning there's never a loss of donor hair, meaning that you could keep it going. Right? Or can you only do it once? Anyway, there would be no need for HM in that case, as his method would provide all the hair anyone would need. I say, impossible!

He has been talking about this technique for some time, but I must agree with your skepticism.

Further, you are always limited by the amount of cutting and pinching the skin can handle.

Redbone

Reaction score
Where do you get such a procedure done? I am sure all the guys on here would love to have no scars and a fatter pocket book from Gho's procedure but he works in Sweden or Malaysia doesnt he? Who the hell has the money to travel over there? Might as well go to Australia and get the Woods method- same thing.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
:?:

I have a question. Does Gho give off that delusions of grandeur feeling after you talk to him for a while? For a guy that has less resources at his disposal and even claims to be focusing on not just HM but other projects, he is claiming he is so far ahead of everyone else. I have been aware of Gho for a while now and remember not so long ago this site believed he was a hoax or someone that could not possibly be where he says he is concerning HM. Not trying to bust your balls or anything, just wondering if he has published some info so the medical field could review his claims and validate what he is saying as the truth. People can go on and on with what they might have and convince others they are telling the truth, all that makes them is a good salesmen.

As with his hair transplant is there any proof of this claim, because I am sure a lot of us would love to read more about the process. I still have a few questions, but i will save them for later.

One last thing is that your question mark emoticon is messed up all you get is the above face.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi all -

Well ... he showed a presentation and a high tech movie (we're talking discovery channel computer graphics quality here, I was really impressed) with animated computer simulations of how the procedure works.

In a nutshell, he discovered that there are hair follicle developing cells located both part of the way up the follicle, and also at the base. Because if this, he theorized that he could extract the top half of the follicle, and leave the base in tact. The base (donor hair) would then continue to grow the same hair in the same place, resulting in no loss of density in the back of the head. The top half of the follicle would be implanted into the front of the scalp into a prepunched hole. Since it contains follicle developing cells, it theoretically takes root and develops a new functionling follicle up front, inside the skin.

The visual presentation made it a lot easier to understand, and I did ask him if he ever extracted one of those transplanted hairs to really see if a new follicle, bulb, etc was produced. He said no, but the hairs do continue to grow, so the assumption is yes. Naturally, it also takes significantly longer to work. You're implanting cells into skin and they need to create something from nothing, so that can take (i think he said) a few months for some guys. The limitations? He can or will only do up to 500 per session... as compared to thousands in a regular transplant. The good side is you can come back and have another, and another and another done. There is no strip excision, no staples in the back of your head, weeks of swollen face and major pain, infections, etc. Limitation #2? Cost. He's only charging a fraction of what traditional transplants cost. Apparently this has resulted in some major flack from US transplant surgeons.

HairLossTalk.com