My exoerience with finasteride so far

luis_scofield

Reaction score
My experience with finasteride so far

Hello all, it has been only around 3 months since i added finasteride to my hair régimen and i would like to use this thread for updates on my results, share my experience with the drug from now on so i hope i could help others.

I have been using minoxidil for like 7 months with mixed results, then a ketoconazole shampoo and finally finasteride in order to have a complete regime. At first i was very depressed, denial, couldnt believe that at age 24 i was already loosing hair. It all started with some minor signs of hair loss, and since then the problem has somehow worsened and gotten better within a short amount of time.

After around six months i started to see resulta after the shedding phase of minoxidil, my hair looked nicer, thicker and fuller. I was feeling much better about it specially after i tought it was worthless. However i noticed that some strands of hair looked thin, when i looked myself at bathrooms with bright light i noticed thin spots, specially because i had longer hair.

So i read a lot and decided that finasteride should be part of my regime by blocking dht, however why i wouldnt say that my hair is that bad... My current hair is nowhere near as good as it was just a few months ago.

I started finasteride in october,a months after turning 25. I never tought that i would get significant shedding.

I started working as a salesman and its when i started hating bright lights. In home it was all good, but just going to the bathroom and seeing my thin spots was making me very angry.

During december and january, i noticed that my hair was getting thinner. I had dandruff problems with minoxidil, so i tought it was that. Then after getting really angry at a thin spot i called my dermatologist saying how minoxidil was only making it worse and that he was a useless semi doctor who couldnt do his job and some rude words. Big mistake, in result i got banned from her clinic so i no longer can buy the brand of minoxidil wich was probably working for me (spectral dnc) and almost a warning order for restriction. I just switched to another brand, thinking that the resulta should be the same. But my hair kept getting thinner, specially on top, my forehead started to look oddly higher than usual and the worse, my hairline got worse! Around the sides i lost s lot, having some odd piece of hair on the front, yeah, now a full norwood 2 in a mather of months and i hated it.

I started making theories, first i tought that mbp was striking back again, then maybe that switching minoxidil brand wasnt a good idea, then stress from my new job but none made that much sense. Minoxidil is the same medication, while i was dealing with stress in my job it was nothing severe so i tought it was just the baldness, but my hopes where so high with finasteride that i got depressed.

The shedding got significant during the second month, where in november my hair had "peaked". It was not that bad still but nothing compared to previous. January came and my hair got itchy and looks thin on stop. I got a really short haircut and i hated it even more.

From now on i have been very depressed, and was costing my job. I was getting sloppy and making mistskes and having a bad attitude, i had to tell my boss that i was dealing with some issue that was troubling me and she told me that i had two more months or she had to let me go because i just cant work there like that. Before that she had high expectstions with me.

So surfing online i got to the conclusion that maybe i had finasteride shedding. One day, my hair didnt looked that bad, compared to how it did during the shedding anyway. Also, same day, the shedding either stopped or slowed down significantly. Zero hairs on the pillow, less in the shower and little to none hair shedding overall. Before i washed with keto i noticed many strands of hair but not therr arent as much. During the last few days perhaps i noticed a slight thickness of my hair, however it can be either a placebo effect or that my hair was growing longer, giving the impression that my hair was getting thicker. Anyway the shedding is either reduced or over, as long with the ichness and there is something different with my scalp, somehow it feels better.

Still not enought for helping me feel better. During the ( possible) shedding i got badly depressed, i stopped working out and eathing healthy, where i used to had a healthy lifestyle approach, i was like, im going bald so whats the point.

Now at least im a little bit less depressed and stressed. Im more focused in my new job wich i like. Still is hard and sometimes i have to get outside to breed when i get stressed about hair los full with negative toughts. My behavior is odd to the rest of my con workers and i honestly fear of my job. Is not my dream job but is a decent one specially with economy today.

I fell like im gainning weight, wich couldnt be worse. Im still pretty thin really, compared to other 25 year olds specially but i feel im loosing shape because i stopped exercising and got stressed and depressed because of my hair loss. I just go to work, get back home and get depressed, i dont read, watch tv, movies, play videogames, etc, hair loss is destroying my life. Im thinking about getting back in shape slowly, at least taking walks, but to me going bald and fat is something i dread. But i got too apathetic about life that i stopped caring about my appereance where i used to take a lot of care of myself. Its only a miracle that i still brush my teeth.

My conclusion is that i was indeed during a shedding phase, wich is not that bad because its supossed to be a phase and i really hope it gets better from now on. Again my hair is getting a bit better. It takes me a few minutes to get ready in the morning when i used to take a lot during the shedding my hair doesnt look that thin on top now. Like i said i REALLY hope it was shedding or my hairline got screwed for like forever. Even if i save the hair i have i hate my "new" hairline and oddly higher forehead.

So shedding apart, i guess im mostly positive with finasteride because i do notice results at the 3 month mark. I hope that with the combination of minoxidil it will be better than before, who knows.

My results so far

Positive:
-Shedding of hair either stopped or reduced significantly.
-Possible slight thickening of hair.
-Ichness stopped almost completely, no more dandruff
-Possibbly new hair growing in the hairline, however it could be from minoxidil or keto.
-Scalp feels a little better and healthier.
-The feeling that im slowly getting my hair back after the worst part.

Negative:
-Shedding was, and still is both visually and phsycologically significant, specially with frontal hair.
-Somehow i got back at baseline i guess, just a bit tad worse and im unsure if i will get results as good as previous.

My expectstions is to get some thickening with the minoxidil and finasteride combo, i hope im not too old to get regrowth, im still 25 and will turning 26 in september, could that be Possible or should i say bye bye to my older hairline and get used to the norwood 2? Anyway i would be happy with some regrowth or significant hair thickening.

My experiencie with finasteride, so far despite the shedding and feeling of getting two steps back, is mostly possitive. The shedding stopped and thats a good sign.

Another update in 3 months.

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start on finasteride soon...definitely not looking forward to the shedding phase lol