My experience with oral minoxidil and the effect

funnysht

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys

New to this forum. I don't usually post much but wanted to give you my experience about minoxidil tablets. If I have time i'll post some photos up before 1 month in 2months in etc.

So my friend recommend I try minoxidil- there were two options tablets vs topical. I wanted to choose one which

1) was less side effects: so did not want to go with finasteride etc

2) Easy to use: so i chose tablet than topical because topical application evidence shows not many continue with it after 6months.

Disclaimer- i am not a health professional etc.

However my GP presribed me 1mg minoxidil daily. It is a blood pressure tablet so i was worried it may affect my BP or HR- so i did check my BP and HR few times prior and post few weeks starting it. I found so far touch wood fair results.

My concerns were

1) Effect on BP- however the dosages doctors use for BP management is like 5-10mg a day or more so 1mg a day probably wouldn't impact too much on BP. Furthermore easy to take just one a day rather than spending 15min on applying topical. Websites do say topical acts straight on to the scalp-however for it to work it still needs to be absorbed into the blood stream thus there will be some systemic absorption.

Anyway I'm so far pleased with my results- and encourage people to talk to their GPs -some GPs don't have much experience so you may need to find an older GP who uses this.
Anyway just wanted to share my experience and hope that others can benefit from it.

Also note that generic minoxdil tablets cost like $30 for 3months supply so much cheaper than rogaine etc- and I suspect the big companies want to push rogaine rather than the oral tablets because they're generic.
And much prefer this than oral finasteride which has sexual side effects etc.

If you also look at the dosage concentration absorption which i found on some random website:

The actual concentrations in blood are much higher with 2.5mg- but note i use only 1mg and still much higher concentration than topical minoxidil.
oral-minoxidil.png

Let me know what your thoughts are and will soon post some photos up .

If anyone is planning on trying it- i would recommend seeking medical input but also checking your BP & HR before and after

:)
disclaimer: i'm not a health professional nor am i invested in minoxidil tablets or paid .

funnysht

My Regimen
Reaction score
Untitled.png

Top image: Jan 2021 before treatment

Bottom image March 2021 after 2 months treatment

funnysht

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hearing a lot of positive stories from oral minoxidil. Also heard side effects depend on dosage, can't go too high it seems.

So did your hairloss completely stop OP? And have any side effects? Read a lot of anecdotal stuff where people claim it was bad for their skin.
hey

not really any sideeffects iv noticed touch wood...dosage im on is 1mg daily so the dosages for BP treatment are like 5-10mg to 20mg daily. Did my hairloss completely stop? well less dropping off iv noticed i guess bit too early to say. Not too sure why it would be bad for skin- i guess it is a BP tablet

Also i havent noticed much shedding ..yet

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys

New to this forum. I don't usually post much but wanted to give you my experience about minoxidil tablets. If I have time i'll post some photos up before 1 month in 2months in etc.

So my friend recommend I try minoxidil- there were two options tablets vs topical. I wanted to choose one which

1) was less side effects: so did not want to go with finasteride etc

2) Easy to use: so i chose tablet than topical because topical application evidence shows not many continue with it after 6months.

Disclaimer- i am not a health professional etc.

However my GP presribed me 1mg minoxidil daily. It is a blood pressure tablet so i was worried it may affect my BP or HR- so i did check my BP and HR few times prior and post few weeks starting it. I found so far touch wood fair results.

My concerns were

1) Effect on BP- however the dosages doctors use for BP management is like 5-10mg a day or more so 1mg a day probably wouldn't impact too much on BP. Furthermore easy to take just one a day rather than spending 15min on applying topical. Websites do say topical acts straight on to the scalp-however for it to work it still needs to be absorbed into the blood stream thus there will be some systemic absorption.

Anyway I'm so far pleased with my results- and encourage people to talk to their GPs -some GPs don't have much experience so you may need to find an older GP who uses this.
Anyway just wanted to share my experience and hope that others can benefit from it.

Also note that generic minoxdil tablets cost like $30 for 3months supply so much cheaper than rogaine etc- and I suspect the big companies want to push rogaine rather than the oral tablets because they're generic.
And much prefer this than oral finasteride which has sexual side effects etc.

If you also look at the dosage concentration absorption which i found on some random website:

The actual concentrations in blood are much higher with 2.5mg- but note i use only 1mg and still much higher concentration than topical minoxidil.
View attachment 158197
Let me know what your thoughts are and will soon post some photos up .

If anyone is planning on trying it- i would recommend seeking medical input but also checking your BP & HR before and after

:)
disclaimer: i'm not a health professional nor am i invested in minoxidil tablets or paid .
It's much cheaper still to drizzle topical minoxidil down one's throat with a metric dropper equivalent to a given Loniten dose and you don't have to beg your GP. BP still is an issue but titrating and tolerance to topical probably ameliorate some of the BP effects. It works great and a bottle of topical should last six months to a year for this so about $5 to $10 annually for people using 5mg or less.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Only a c*** would DRINK it. f*** OM all together. It will probably cause heart attacks down the line. It looks good for growth though.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d be interested to see your hair? I saw some pictures of you a long time ago and you were almost slick bald.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's much cheaper still to drizzle topical minoxidil down one's throat with a metric dropper equivalent to a given Loniten dose and you don't have to beg your GP. BP still is an issue but titrating and tolerance to topical probably ameliorate some of the BP effects. It works great and a bottle of topical should last six months to a year for this so about $5 to $10 annually for people using 5mg or less.
How many drops would I need to get 1mg? Isn't 5% minoxidil 50mg per ml?

Last edited: