My Green Tea Topical.... setback

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with Topical GTE the past few days, but unfortunately my body can't tolerate it.

I am only applying it on my head, but it gets absorbed into my whole system!

The 3 different solutions I have experimented with are GTE disolved in:

- Alcohol
- Emu Oil
- Water

I have used different concentrations - typically similar concentrations as used in studies or other people's experiments.

Now to the sides:

- Extreme thirst. I understand that GT is a diuretic, but I have never been as thirsty as this. I had an unquenchable thirst. Drinking too much water is potentially very dangerous as well.
- Decreased libido.
- Irritated nipples.

Now to the good stuff:
- My scalp felt really great and there was less irritation. I am a believer that topical green tea can be very helpful for hairloss and regrowth.
- I also firmly believe that most people wont get the sides I got, probably close to zero. Maybe there's something wrong with my insulin levels.
- None of the topicals had a particularly unpleasant smell

I have searched through other hairloss forums and found that people were trying the stuff even as early as 2001 (about the same year when it was though HM was 5 years away).
I couldn't determine if their experiments were successful, because of the lack of follow up posts.

I am waiting on cedarwood oil and flutagel, which I will test seperately.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
J Agric Food Chem. 2000 Dec;48(12):6355-61.

Effects of tea catechins on the ERE-regulated estrogenic activity.

Kuruto-Niwa R, Inoue S, Ogawa S, Muramatsu M, Nozawa R.
Laboratory of Microbiology and Host Defenses, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52-1 Yada, Shizuoka 422-8526, Japan. kuruto@smail.u-shizuoka-ken.ac.jp

Tea catechins exert many biological effects, including anticancer and antibacterial activities. Also, it is reported that some plant flavonoids exhibit estrogenic activity. In this study, we investigated estrogenic or antiestrogenic activities of catechins in HeLa cells transiently transfected with an estrogen response element (ERE)-regulated luciferase reporter and an estrogen receptor (ER) alpha or ERbeta expression vector. Catechins alone did not induce luciferase (luc) activity in either of the ERs. Addition of 17beta-estradiol (E2) plus epicatechin gallate (ECG) or epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) at 5 x 10(-6) M resulted in significant decreases in the ERalpha-mediated luc activity compared with that of E2 alone. On the contrary, lower concentrations significantly increased the E2-induced luc activity. Similar effects were observed with tamoxifen. The ERbeta-mediated estrogenic activities were stimulated by catechins. In conclusion, some catechins, particularly EGCG, were antiestrogenic for ERalpha at higher doses, and co-estrogenic for ERalpha at lower doses and for ERbeta. The lower doses were found in human plasma after tea-drinking. In addition, some catechins may be antiendocrine disruptors because they suppressed bisphenol A-induced luc activities.

...These contradictory effects are usually observed in endocrinological studies; low concentrations of a hormone can stimulate a tissue, but high concentrations
can have the opposite effect (vom Saal et al.,1997). Tam has also the estrogenic activity through ERR in lower concentrations (5 10-8 to 10-9 M) in the presence of estrogen (Figure 4A). This enhanced induction suggested that ECG or EGCG were capable of potentiating the E2 activity at the lower concentrations.
This could be attained in human plasma after tea drinking (Yang et al., 1998a). Therefore, usual tea drinking might be helpful for the prevention of estrogen deficient
diseases such as menopausal disorders and osteoporosis.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
nolvadex is anti-E right?

though it might be helpful, i'm not too confident at this stage in taking any internals that directly affect hormones.

still waiting for my fn cedarwood to arrive.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
green tea is not a diruetic.

and its not giving you gyno.

just chill and try it again.

powersam

Reaction score
oyo said:

and its not giving you gyno.

just chill and try it again.

green tea contains caffeine which is a diuretic, which would mean green tea is a diuretic.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, Green Tea Extract doesn't contain caffeine.

Also, tea isn't even a diuretic as the caffeine is a a very mild diuretic and the amount of water in a cup of tea is more than what is lost from the caffeine.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
i already have very very mild gyno. caused by finasteride.

my topical GTE made my gyno worse - as well as made me extremely thirsty (scary stuff)

my topical cedarwood made my gyno slightly worse

my topical peppermint oil made my gyno worse

i think all of these are very good anti-androgens.
anti-androgens will cause gyno if they get to the right places. in my case, i think i am extremely sensitive to anti-androgens

i think topical cedarwood is worth experimenting with. i might go back to trying this at a 0.2% concentration.

right now, i am waiting for my body to get back to normal before i try flutagel.

powersam

Reaction score
oyo said:

oyo said:
First off, Green Tea Extract doesn't contain caffeine.

Also, tea isn't even a diuretic as the caffeine is a a very mild diuretic and the amount of water in a cup of tea is more than what is lost from the caffeine.

This shouldn't be surprising considering tea has diuretic properties.
http://healing.about.com/cs/nutrition/q ... grntea.htm

A diuretic is any drug that elevates the rate of urination (diuresis).

therefore it does not matter how much water a cup of tea has in it, as long as it elevated the rate of urination.

anything else mate?

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently became re-interested in EGCG... quite the versitile compound.

I guess the Follica patent calls for an EGFR inhibitor.

Green tea has recently been shown to influence numerous mechanisms which are favorable towards preventing and/or treating HPV related lesions. Epigallocatechin- 3-gallate has been shown to inhibit epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling pathway. (17) EGFR activation is required for cervical cell proliferation which suggests agents which inhibit EGFR may be of important therapeutic value in prevention and treatment of cervical dysplasia and genital warts. Two other in vitro studies demonstrated EGCG inhibits the growth of human cervical cancer cell lines, induces apoptosis, inhibits telomerase activity in cervical cell lines and has a role in regulation of gene expression. (18),(19)

Also inhibits prostaglandin D2, another possible Follica channel.

We have previously reported that green tea catechins (GTC) showed an antithrombotic activity, which might be due to antiplatelet effect rather than anticoagulation. The present study was performed to investigate the effect of GTC on the arachidonic acid (AA) metabolism in order to elucidate a possible antiplatelet mechanism. GTC inhibited the collagen-, AA- and U46619-induced rabbit platelet aggregation in vitro in a concentration-dependent manner, with IC50 values of 61.0+/-2.5, 105.0+/-4.9 and 67.0+/-3.2 microg/ml, respectively. Moreover, GTC administered orally into rats inhibited the AA-induced platelet aggregation ex vivo by 46.9+/-6.1% and 95.4+/-2.2% at the doses of 25 and 50 mg/kg, respectively. [3H]AA liberation induced by collagen in [3H]AA incorporated rabbit platelets was significantly suppressed by GTC compared to the control. GTC also significantly inhibited the thromboxane A2 (TXA2) and prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) generations induced by addition of AA in intact rabbit platelets. GTC significantly inhibited TXA2 synthase activity in a concentration-dependent manner. Moreover, adenosine triphosphate (ATP) release from dense granule was inhibited by GTC in washed platelets. These results suggest that the antiplatelet activity of GTC may be due to the inhibition of TXA2 formation through the inhibition of AA liberation and TXA2 synthase.

And some more cool info...

The IB kinase complex (IKK) mediates activation of the transcription factor nuclear factor-B (NF-B). We previously showed that green tea polyphenols inhibited endotoxin-mediated tumor necrosis factor- (TNF) production by blocking NF-B activation. In this study, we evaluated whether green tea polyphenols inhibit NF-B by blocking IKK activity. We assessed IKK activity by detecting changes in phosphorylation of an IB-glutathione S-transferase (GST) fusion protein. IEC-6 cells pretreated with an extract of green tea polyphenols (GrTPs; 0-0.4 mg/ml) had diminished TNF-induced IKK and NF-B activity. Of the various GrTPs, ()-epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) was the most potent inhibitor. We next examined whether EGCG inhibited activated IKK. In cytosolic extracts of TNF-stimulated cells, EGCG inhibited phosphorylation of IB-GST (IC50 > 18 µM) consistent with inhibition of IKK activity. Using other polyphenols, we showed that the gallate group was essential for inhibition, and antioxidants were ineffective in blocking activated IKK. Importantly, EGCG decreased IKK activity in cytosolic extracts of NIK transiently transfected cells. This latter finding showed that our findings were not related to nonspecific kinase activity. In conclusion, EGCG is an effective inhibitor of IKK activity. This may explain, at least in part, some of the reported anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects of green tea