My Hair Loss Story And A Few Scalp / Minoxidil Questions

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all - posted this in the general forum but realized this is more of my story than a small topic. So below is the original post with my story expanded further with the same questions I am hoping to get some second opinions on. Thanks!

Hey all - first a quick intro as this is my first post.

I have been reading through these helpful forums for some time now and finally thought I would get some direct second opinions as I have not seen many people post regarding my current situation.

I am 25, and started my 5% liquid minoxidil with Nizoral treatment about 9 months ago. I immediately saw great results, with no shed, and things were absolutely great. I know eventually the first real shed would come, but was blown away by the results. About the 5 month mark my head grew insanely itchy all the time, mind boggling so. I had no idea why it would suddenly become so itchy after so many months without a single itch. Around the 6 month mark the great dreaded real shed came on. I never panicked and never missed a single application of twice a day (and still haven't!). Hair recovered well, almost to as thick as it was at the four month mark, but never quite got back to that same point. After the shed recovery, however, then began the flaking of doom which up until this point, there was never a single flake nor have I ever had dandruff. My scalp and hair have always been very oily and naturally thin as long as I have been alive.

I have read all about the flaking, and know it is dried minoxidil and not my skin. At first it wasn't too bad, however, at about this most recent 8-9 month mark it was absolutely bonkers. I even was doing tests - the exact spots I would drop minoxidil on my scalp would be the exact spot the huge flakes would appear. It just wasn't absorbing! Additionally, my hair seems to have gotten thinner since the 7 month mark.

Below is the best information I found regarding the subject here on these forums (apologies for this lengthy post) but perhaps this information is useful to others who have not seen it:

QUOTE:
According to what I could gather, it is very likely that skin side effects only show when your minoxidil dose already reached "maximum local effect" due to the tissue where you apply it reaches maximum saturation with minoxidil's bioactive metabolite, minoxidil sulfate. If maximum saturation is reached, any additional minoxidil sulfate will spread out to the surroundings.

The amount of local minoxidil sulfate is determined by the concentration of available minoxidil sulfotransferase. The higher it is, the more bioactive minoxidil sulfate is produced from the minoxidil you apply. This is also the reason why minoxidil doesn't work at all for some people: they have almost no minoxidil sulfotransferase or even none at all, meaning no bioactive minoxidil sulfate for them. People with side effects are at the other extreme of the spectrum, having way more minoxidil sulfotransferase and thus minoxidil sulfate than the average person.

As a consequence from saturation, you can safely reduce the dose without losing any hair-saving effect - the tissue is already saturated anyway, nothing more can be added.

Now the difficult task is to find the right dose for you, as it is dependent on your level of minoxidil sulfotransferase. I for myself found out that 1 ml per day is perfect, i.e. one application per day (which also fits in better with my lifestyle). Problem is that the half-life of minoxidil means that if I miss applications I lose a lot of effect, so I'm thinking about splitting into two applications of 0.5 ml per application twice a day.

Long story short: Reduce your dose and find the perfect one for you. It's not easy to find, but if you don't want the side effects to become more severe (which they did in my case over time with grave consequences on my looks... I looked like drug-addict with additional 10 years over my biological age. It took many months till I recovered from that.), you should do it.
END QUOTE

So with all that said, I would just love to hear some opinions. Does the above information sound correct? Has anyone else had issues with minoxidil not absorbing? Is my head truly too saturated with minoxidil and that is affecting the thickness and health of my hair? I have indeed decreased my dosage and the flakes decrease, however I am curious - have any of you found you could grow healthier and thicker hair with lower dosages of minoxidil? Just seems so bizarre I never had flakes until about the 8 month mark as my hair also became slightly thinner again.

Thanks for reading and for any input. I am aware there is always some loss of hair for those of us not on finasteride - that's not the subject here. More so on quality of hair and scalp in relation to minoxidil levels. Thanks!

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds good. Will likely try the foam soon - can't hurt (just expensive). Read your post - very interesting! The dermaroller got me very, very curious. I noticed after all the itching that my scalp *seems* (can't be too sure) to have built up layers up top where I apply minoxidil that no nizoral or massaging can get rid of. This is one of my theories why the minoxidil does not seem to absorb - my naturally oily scalp likely just created a barrier. After your post I think I will go to a dermatologist and have them look and see if they think a dermaroller would help. My gut tells me my dht levels have not increased as I don't have any shedding, real itch or real recession of hair - just overall thinner.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I too took a short beak on minoxidil as it simply wasn't absorbing and have a useful update:

So far my theory seems correct as I took the time to really massage and clean my scalp while I was not putting minoxidil on it. Sure enough the areas I apply it most frequently had literally built up layers of it that just sat there, absorbing new dosages and building it up. Think I have successfully broken it all down now (creating TONS of flakes I am just washing out) but thought this would be helpful to anyone reading - if you suddenly have flakes start appearing while using minoxidil, you may want to start lowering your dosage. If I had simply done that when they first started, I would not be having to go through all this crap now. Will post updates after visit to dermatologist to see what they say.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 days. Long enough for my scalp to clear. Now doing small doses to see how much is good until flaking appears. Seems once a day is what my head likes now.

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently traveling. Will see him when I get back in. Will definitely post an update!

Zoobop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Happy to report good news. Saw the dermatologist who agreed with my theories as posted above, and basically said I am now on the right track. For anyone who ever has similar issues, I took a 1/2/3 day minoxidil break (staggered) and the three day was the jackpot. It gave enough time for me to really clean my scalp and let it breathe and get healthy again. I now apply once a day in smaller doses, and the dermatologist told me to keep doing what I am currently doing with the addition of 2% Nizoral shampoo (as opposed to my current 1%) which he gave me a prescription for to help maintain healthy scalp and reduce flaking.

He recommended not using a dermaroller for me due to my naturally thin hair and delicate scalp as it would be prone to inflammation and possible infection with direct minoxidil application afterwards, so not going to do that. Now that the minoxidil is absorbing again, and in addition I am now taking the vitamin supplements listed in Somebody's post, hair has begun returning back to normal (how it was after first growth from minoxidil) in a remarkably short time and looks much better. Hope this thread is useful for someone down the road!