My Journey With A Bad Fut Scar And Smp, Hoping For Repair Someday

tmar89

My Regimen
Reaction score
So this is my first post here. Been a long time member of HLH forum and this place seems like the more active. Here's my story and looking for advice on scar repair.

In 2007 I was sold on the Bosley/MHR ad train having no experience nor doing any research. My fault on that but I was also in my mid 20s and foolish. Got a "1280" FUT done and I put "1280" in quotes since Dr. Feller looked at my head 3 years ago and said there was no way I even had 300 in there. Also, the strip they took was short and wide. I hate it. In fact, I hate it more than I dislike how my hair looks now.

Seeing how another FUT was going to be a lot of money with Dr. Feller, and even with Dr. Feller mentioning that FUE into [my] scar was not guaranteed success, I looked into other options to at least conceal the scar. My hair was receding a lot more and I wanted to buzz it down, not shave, but so self conscious.

I found out about Scalp MicroPigmentation and did my research on that. Went with Jhon Jhon in NY/NJ and had it done by him. I had 3 SMP (Scalp Micro Pigmentation) procedures to repair/conceal my strip scar. The first was dots as I wanted to go short and he mentioned dots were the best option here. I didn't like the outcome and next visit I asked him about the fibers which provide more dimensional density. Did 2 sessions of that.

I took pictures at different lengths to show how the hair and SMP looks. Overall, it was a mediocre success. I didn't get the completely seamless result I desired, but if you compare Pre Op Buzz #1 to Buzz #0 or Buzz no guard now, it's a lot better. Ideally, growing my hair out passed a #3 guard shows nothing but I really don't want that style anymore since the top is almost gone.

So $3000 into that, and it being temporary (4-6 years), I'm thinking about FUE scar repair again. Was Dr. Feller correct in that I may not have success? Who would be the best doctor to get a second opinion with? I know it's going to cost me around $6000 this time to get about a 300 FUE for a proper look so it's another hefty investment.

Pictures are from 2017 to 2018, with the close up from 2018 with Buzzer #0 guard.

Attachments

• g8v9ovqvd4kz[1].jpg
    g8v9ovqvd4kz[1].jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 411
  • kIU19ar[1].jpg
    kIU19ar[1].jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 485

tmar89

My Regimen
Reaction score
If anyone wants to see a specific picture at a higher res, let me know.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how's your front ? bald like the bald spot or your transplant is present

tmar89

My Regimen
Reaction score
how's your front ? bald like the bald spot or your transplant is present

Not so concerned with the front right now because of how much it's going to cost to redo it, but here's what everything looks like today. I buzzed with no guard a week ago. You can really see how much SMP is garbage after 3 years.

https://imgur.com/a/D7qyVfQ

Last edited:

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think it look bad because of the contrast of your native longer hair ! but on the others pictures, it looks the best when you are clean shaved or a zero buzzcut, the shorter the better the scar ''dissapear'' into the rest of your hair. Why wont you get smp also on the top front of your head to match the rest but if you do, must always stay at 0 buzz cut every day.

tmar89

My Regimen
Reaction score
i think it look bad because of the contrast of your native longer hair ! but on the others pictures, it looks the best when you are clean shaved or a zero buzzcut, the shorter the better the scar ''dissapear'' into the rest of your hair. Why wont you get smp also on the top front of your head to match the rest but if you do, must always stay at 0 buzz cut every day.

Well, the point here is that SMP is temporary and honestly not worth the large investment. I spent $3000 for the procedures on the scar and it lasted not even 3 years. I don't care about the front, as I mentioned. It's really the scar that is the issue. At this point, I either grow it out to a minimum of a #4 guard and just leave it there, or I buzz with no guard. I am not shaving. I hate the look. I even hate the buzz 0 look but I am limited to my options now. I'm in the uncomfortable zone until I reach a few more mms of length.

What I'm trying to show is that SMP is a temporary, mediocre solution for scar repair and I really hope to find someone that can recommend a much better solution or clinic to discuss with.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you prefer having a #4 long horseshoe all around the head with nothing on top (70 years old hair cut) over a clean 0 buzzcut ? how old are you ?

tmar89

My Regimen
Reaction score
you prefer having a #4 long horseshoe all around the head with nothing on top (70 years old hair cut) over a clean 0 buzzcut ? how old are you ?

I rather have the buzzcut. I'm 39. But for now, I when I grow it out and use toppik, it looks somewhat decent