My Natural Approach - Increase Blood Circulation In The Scalp For Non-genetic Baldness.

Tolkein fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 50+ year old male who has been very lucky to date: almost a full head of hair until recently. I guess I won the genetic hair lottery.

I did start receding in my 20s but my lair loss stopped at stage 2 and really didn't start moving again until the last year. I have always had a definite 'widows peak' as a result, but that's about it.

Then a year ago I noticed my hair loss at my temples increased a bit. My wife brought it up, but I wasn't convinced but now I am. I also noticed recently a lot more itching generally in my skalp: early sign of hair loss. No noticeable increase in shedding though.

Now clearly, genetically, I am not prone to baldness. This could be just 'normal' ageing. However, I have been doing things to limit hair loss from my own reading, and it seems to be working:

1. Stopped using shampoo and conditioner completely. Now just wash my hair with rye flour once a week. This seems to have cured the itching almost immediately. Also rinse with ACV to restore hair pH after this wash.

2. Drink a glass of 90% beetroot juice (250ml) once a day. Beetroot contains agents that increases blood circulation (by increasing nitrous oxide production) when taken daily. My logic here is to improve blood flow in the skalp - ensuring that hair follicles get enough oxygen to grow. Male pattern baldness follows the familiar pattern precisely because the skalp has an uneven but predictable distribution of blood flow - with areas of relatively lower blood flow losing hair first (temples, crown, etc). The thinking here is that while high localised DHT certainly triggers hair loss, in some men without genetically high production levels in the skalp, blood flow to hair follicles is more likely to cause follicle death (just a theory, this is the same logic I guess as using scalp massage). I have now been following this for a month - really developed a taste for beetroot juice.

Well, it is early days, but it seems to be working so far (I think)! I honestly feel in the last month the receding has reversed. The hairs at my temples that were getting thinner are thickening up again. I will update here with progress over the coming months, if anyone is interested.