My needling thread

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright,

I'm going to take up the black art of needling and see if it's effective at regrowing hair and allowing better minoxidil absorption. Basically all I am going to do is make tiny pokes into my temple regions with a tack and then apply the 5% foam once a day. I'll keep this thread updated every so often. Here is my baseline:

[attachment=0:cl04h3wb]3-08 002.jpg[/attachment:cl04h3wb]

Also the treatments I'm currently taking:

Proscar 1.25mg daily (currently @ 1 month)
Rogaine 5% (currently @ 3 months)
Nizoral (currently @ 3 weeks)

Attachments

• 3-08 002.jpg
    3-08 002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,483

IBM

Reaction score
Beware. You can infect your scalp. What you'll use to needle?

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a basic tack. But yeah I'm aware of infections. I'm keeping things sterile. I haven't really been penetrating the skin real deep. Just enough to cause a redness, no blood. I read somewhere the depth only needs be about .50mm or so.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Get your self a Dermaroller . It is for this pourpose and safer than a needle or a tack

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
SymbolX...

PLEASE don't use a tack! Go to Walgreens and get these:

295604.jpg

They'll be pretty close to pharmacy counter (in the diabetic supplies section). They are only $10 for one hundred of them, and they are *exactly* what you are looking for. You'll see what I mean in the first 60 seconds of using one.

They penetrate easily, and they don't go too deep (don't force them further than they go naturally). It'll creep you out how they will sink right in. ....Plus they are sterile.

-O.M.G.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
IBM said:
What is the depth of those WalMart needles?

IBM...

I can't accurately answer that anymore because it's been so long. I can say this though... they penetrate through the outer layer of skin instantly, without any effort. They stop just shy of making you bleed. Rarely, you'll push slightly too hard for some reason, and a trace of blood will float to the surface. That hurts, and it's sort of a built-in learning experience.

We went through the studies before and took "official" measurements once of how far the needles penetrated, and I think there was consensus that this was probably the correct distance to cause micro-wounding. I know that's not the strongest statement in the world, but it was the best we could figure out from the info at hand!

Plus, we found out that even though the dermaroller is by FAR the easiest method to do an infinite amount more wounding, the needles -even the hard to find longer ones- weren't quite long enough to get into the zone we wanted.

That, honestly, is about everything I remember from the discussion that took place somewhere between August and October last year. People that stick with it swear by it, and when you do it right it's not painful (just creepy), and scar forums have been using it for years -which leads me to believe that over time it could reverse fibrosis which, in turn, might make every single other thing you do more effective. It simply just didn't fit in to my habits and disposition, so I gave it up after a few weeks.

Oh, one more thing... I made a "cluster holder" that could hold nine of these lancets at a time, but that was a bad idea. True, you end up making 9 times as many micro wounds, but the problem is your head isn't a uniform curvature so you will inadvertantly sink a few WAY TOO DEEP! ...And if you get this 33 guage lancets, you'll find out that they penetrate your skin like water through a strainer!

Good luck with it!

-O.M.G.