My new stance on topical oils, such as Emu

CCS

Reaction score
Many sales people take advantage of the fact that hair density varies with the seasons like fur coats but to a lesser extent, and schedule trials for the fastest thickening part of the year. Before looking at short trial result (there are many many uncompleted 3-6 month trials on the net, with products sold for them), look at when the trial was done and what the placebo was and how big a difference there was between the placebo and the treatment.

Emu oil was tested in a very short trial, using corn oil as the placebo (not a good enough placebo), and the corn oil regrew 80% as much hair as the emu oil. I don't know what time of year this was, but it was less than 6 months. I think the study was worthless.

I think borage seed oil would be better because people produce less of the gamma-linolenic acid as they get older, and have dry skin. Flax is cheap and has the alpha isomer. I would take some orally, a little throughout the week, and apply some on my head. I hightly doubt this will be as effect as 2% minoxidil, but since DHT only starts the attack, it is possible non-DHT inhibiting stuff that helps scalp health can maybe slow some of the damage. I do not recommend that people waste their time applying this stuff to their head. Rather, if you like making your own topicals, such as topical spironolactone cream, you might as well use these oils instead of synthetic oils in your cream. Throw some Saw Palmeto in your cream if you want. I doubt it will inhibit much DHT, but if you are using the cream anyway, you might as well use these oils.