My rationale for getting a Hair Transplant

Sharpe

Reaction score
I've been giving a lot of thought to getting a hair transplant over the years and I've finally decided to move forward as I've just gotten out of the US Marine Corps after a couple tours to Afghanistan. Good times. I mention that only so you can better understand my perspective and attitude as I tend to be a bit brash.

I wanted to write something to explain my rationale as I know there are many others in the debate phase regarding hair transplants. Ideally I would have gotten on Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Ketoconazole earlier but I was in denial and to be honest, scared. With that said, I still think these treatments are the best bet for anybody in the early phases of hair loss as that's when they are most effective. I have now started these treatments with some positive results; however, I know I will never get the results I want without a hair transplant. My debate over getting a hair transplant always came back to my perception that it would be shameful and un-manly to do so since it's cosmetic surgery. I have now concluded that this perception is wrong. I say this because one of my biggest desires is to be able to wake up in the morning and not be scared to see how awful my thinning/receding hair looks when it's disheveled. Along with that, I am tired of being paranoid whenever I take off my hat, my hair is blown by the wind, or gets wet in the rain, pool, ocean, etc. The bottom line is, personal presentation matters, nobody wants to look like a mess or disheveled, and shaved heads don't suit everybody and can sometimes give the wrong impression regarding your personalty/attitude especially if you're not completely bald. With thin hair and/or a receding hairline, it requires an exorbitant amount of time, effort, and concern to ensure your hair looks good, i.e. combing, styling, constant checks in the mirror, etc. Is it not more manly and respectable to have hair which requires much less upkeep and maintenance to look good? Is it not more manly and respectable to want to look your best? Is it not more manly and respectable to fix something that is broken? Is it not more manly and respectable to be honest with yourself and accept that hair loss does have a major impact on your self esteem and confidence? In my opinion it's time for men to be proactive and honest! The days of pretending hair loss only impacts the weak are (or should be) over! I wish more of the myriad of notable people who have had a hair transplant or some other kind of hair treatment would have the balls to come forward and share their stories so this watershed change in perception about hair loss treatment could speed up! We should all be extremely grateful to live in an age where we have such remarkable options!

tumblr_l7g3s9Szc71qcfrr5o1_1280.jpg

One final caveat is that I understand the need to go to one of the top reputable hair transplant surgeons as well as continue using Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Ketoconazole. Additionally, I should add that I'm 32 and caution anybody in the early stages of hair loss from getting a hair transplant as the aforementioned treatments are effective and it might be prudent to wait for developing treatments to come to fruition, i.e. hair cloning, etc. Regardless, I'm planning on going with Dr Feller as he's an expert in the field, I really like his philosophy towards hair transplantation, and I like the fact that he's had a hair transplant.

I'm open to any feedback, whether negative or positive.

Semper Fi

Sharpe