My scalp is very red and very itchy...

Reaction score
I have this on my scalp, but specifically at my hairline, where there is thinning It's very red and it's flakey/scaley. Anyone know how I could reduce this?

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral shampoo has been heartily recommended by many people here. You can pick it up in any chain pharmacy. (That's the 1% mixture. The 2% mixture is available by perscription only). Use it once every three days, alternating with your regular shampoo (which some have suggested changing to Head and Shoulders), and leave it on your head a little longer than usual before rinsing.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Jaygee is correct. But do you have alot of dandruff? If you have a very dry and irritated scalp, then nizoral may possibly make it worse.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you should go to a doctor and get your scalp checked out. I personally recomend you try using Nizoral 2% for a few weeks washing your hair 3 times a week with the shampoo and see if you still have the same problem. Though in the end I am not a doctor and i would consider a doctor more learned in thtis area than myself.

Rsx

Reaction score
I found I got more dandruffs after the day I used Nizoral.

My conclusion is if you have dry scaple, don't put Nizoral on your scaple for too long, adding Aloe or Emil Oil would help.

Thanks

The Gardener

Reaction score
From my experience, the introduction of Minoxidil to my scalp caused some short-term flaking and irritation. Both were eliminated in the course of 1 to 2 months through the use of Nizoral, and personally I just think that over time my scalp 'got used' to the minoxidil, and the flaking stopped.

I tend to think that you may be facing the same scenario because you mention that your condition is worse at the hairline, where most people tend to concentrate their minoxidil applications.

I am not sure how long you have been on minoxidil, but if it has been a few months or less, then I would bite the bullet and wait a bit longer before worrying. Hang in there.

Nixon's Head

Reaction score
Well put The Gardener. My scalped had a lot of irritation in the front and then it stopped after a month. Then when I started having to put it on new areas those too had irritation and flakes until a month later etc. I think your scalp gets used to it. Unfortunatly, I am a 13 year old pre-pubestent girl and it burned my scalp unmercefully for weeks leaving me in a pile of tears and heartache.......

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
From my experience, the introduction of Minoxidil to my scalp caused some short-term flaking and irritation. Both were eliminated in the course of 1 to 2 months through the use of Nizoral, and personally I just think that over time my scalp 'got used' to the minoxidil, and the flaking stopped.

I tend to think that you may be facing the same scenario because you mention that your condition is worse at the hairline, where most people tend to concentrate their minoxidil applications.

I am not sure how long you have been on minoxidil, but if it has been a few months or less, then I would bite the bullet and wait a bit longer before worrying. Hang in there.

I'm not on any hair treatments.