My son

Samui dad

Reaction score
I first noticed the small bald patch appear on the back of my son's hair about 3 weeks ago. The patch was on the back of his head and about the size of a 2 pence peice. I took him to the local hospital who diagnosed him with alopecia. The hair oss has grown and we have visited the hospital and he is now on medication and I have been advised to change his shampoo's and he is not allowed to wear any form of head wear. He sems fine in himself but I am not sure if I am being given the correct advise and i am looking for advise and help. i am a British citizen but have lived and worked in Thailand for 11 years. I really could do with some help.

Thank you

Rawtashk

Reaction score
What kind of medication is he on?

Also, ignore the haters that will most likely post on here about how finasteride is evil and you're a horrible parent for encouraging your son to treat his hairloss.

Jl8T

Reaction score
It doesnt sound like androgenic alopecia but more like alopecia areata, so lets not hop on the finasteride wagon just yet. What meds did the hospital prescribe? Corticosteroids? I think there is a whole forum devoted to that condition as it is very different from male pattern baldness. I believe it is more of an autoimmune disease than a hormonally driven process. I have seen people lose all the hair on their body (alopecia totalis) or just small patches. I believe it is common for medications to control and reverse the condition depending on the form/severity. Again all of this is based on what condition your son has and if in fact it is alopecia areata and not male pattern baldness which is a whole different monster. How old is he by the way?

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:

Also, ignore the haters that will most likely post on here about how finasteride is evil and you're a horrible parent for encouraging your son to treat his hairloss.

Haters? how old are you, 14?

You really are a moron.

He is saying his son has ALOPECIA - finasteride is NOT used to treat alopecia.

beaner

Reaction score
Fincar18 said:
Rawtashk said:

Haters? how old are you, 14?

You really are a moron.

He is saying his son has ALOPECIA - finasteride is NOT used to treat alopecia.

Sure it is. It's used to treat androgenetic alopecia. Alopecia means hair loss.

I think you need to get your facts straight before you start calling people a moron.

I will concede that the boy in question probably does not have typical AA and finasteride would not be the treatment to use.