My Store and the big decision (pictures, long read)

Hypno Toad

Reaction score
My story*

Hello. I'm John and this is my story.

I am a 19 year old male who has a family with a history of balding. I didn't notice mine for awhile, but it hit me within the last 6 months and it's become extremely noticeable. It's much worse than anybody I know personally and it's pretty saddening. It's a self esteem killer seeing all the "attractive males" in magazines and on TV typically characterized with a full head of luscious hair with commercials precipitating that ideology with all the hair commercials talking about desirable a full head of hair is.

Before I get into the full details, here are my pictures. This one is good because of the hat, the good picture/lighting, and good luck it turned out like that. This was a month ago and have since got a haircut.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154 ... C05399.jpg

These next pictures I just took. First one is front view after a whole day (kinda messy and not full)

Picture91.jpg

This is side view (again, messy hair, not complete)

Picture92.jpg

This is the front view with hair messed up. It's a good angle and good lighting that doesn't show the hairline too much

Picture85.jpg

receding hairline now

Picture88.jpg

The pictures can't capture how it looks completely. My hair gets messed up easily, I have dandruff, and all that. The receding hairline is climbing and climbing. I can't have short hair unless I just buzz it. Last time I buzzed it I thought it looked horrible on me, and that was before the hairline. To make my hair look even remotely okay is product, hair dryer, and combing it into place. I am not going to be doing that every time and will not be using product so please don't bring those up. It does look nice when done right and it's the look i've always had, but it's getting harder and uglier as time goes on.

My problem is do I just keep long hair, which I look much better with, or try going bald (buzzed) and seeing how that turns out? I am petrified as I have self esteem problems as it is and this would kill it completely. I'm not buff nor tall and pulling it off would be hard. I'm real skinny (less than 150), thin in the cheeks, have bigg(er) ears, and have other features that would stick out without hair as I can see by pulling my hair back. It seems hard to pull off the look and honestly, and I'm not trying to be mean, but I've yet to meet a person around that can pull it off in person that isn't a ripped/big person. Saw a skinny guy like me and it looked out of place for him. Most people have facial hair too and that's a not a possible route with me.

Do I just go forward with shaving it and get used to it or just milk what's left of my hair?

T

TravisB

Man, the longer hair do the perfect job of masking your hairline. Stick with the long hair for now. Don't you want to treat it? You could easily maintain (and maybe regrow some) what you have. You might look into Finasteride.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
it's possible to regrow your lost hair and stop/slow down hair loss
your best bet is with finasteride (oral prescription medication). just book in a doctor's appointment and ask for Propecia (active ingredient is finasteride) for hair loss, they'll explain the rest.
and Nizoral shampoo will also help will slow down hair loss as well and help with the dandruff.

you may not have to worry about your hair getting worse for a long time if u r on finasteride

if you have self-esteem issues than hit the gym. it will probably take ages for you to see much benefit but in 6 years time you'll be thankful you started.

Hypno Toad

Reaction score
I wish I could agree with the whole long hair thing, but as I said, the pictures don't reveal the reality of how my hair works. I wished it stayed like that, looked like that, and covered it up as much as anyone.

Hypno Toad

Reaction score
antman said:
it's possible to regrow your lost hair and stop/slow down hair loss
your best bet is with finasteride (oral prescription medication). just book in a doctor's appointment and ask for Propecia (active ingredient is finasteride) for hair loss, they'll explain the rest.
and Nizoral shampoo will also help will slow down hair loss as well and help with the dandruff.

you may not have to worry about your hair getting worse for a long time if u r on finasteride

if you have self-esteem issues than hit the gym. it will probably take ages for you to see much benefit but in 6 years time you'll be thankful you started.

I already talked to a doctor and asked him about the pills and he told me to not use any due to the side effects and the fact you have to keep using them and the moment you stop then all the results are gone.

Thank you for your advice.