My Story (19 years old, UK) - Advice needed

hyerin

Reaction score
Hello,
My first post here and a very long one! I’ve been experiencing hair loss for about one and a half years now, mainly to the crown region with absolutely no recession that I can see. Initially, I was quite positive that my diet had a major influence on the shedding; having lost two stones in a matter of months (my daily intake was around 1500 calories at that time). However, I do not believe diet was the cause of my hair loss because over the past year, I’ve put on back the two stones and gained an extra one! Recently, I’ve also had a couple of blood tests done, namely to check my ferratin and thyroid levels as I’ve also been losing pubic hair (way before hair loss). To my disappointment the tests came back normal. Hair loss is really making me feel down at the moment – I’m only 19 and will be going to university later this year. In terms of family history of hair loss, my dad has experienced no hair loss (except for a while back when he was thirty, for a month or so – he is now fifty), one of my granddad had no hair loss (died when he was around fifty) and the other lost his hair when he was around sixty.
At the moment, I’ve made an appointment to see a dermatologist but that will be on April 29th because of the long waiting list on the NHS. However, I don’t think I can wait any longer because over the past month or so, my hair loss has been quite aggressive – I’m losing around 100 hairs every time I wash my hair. I’m currently on no medicines at the moment – although I’ve ordered some proscar, but whether or not I’m willing to take it is a different matter all together. To be honest, I don’t really care if taking it will lower my sex drive, as I’m already very overactive in that department. However, lowering my sperm count is a definite no go area. I’ve also heard finasteride can stunt growth? I could do with a bit more growing as I’m only 5 ft 5 (I swear I haven’t had a growth spurt since I was thirteen). I’ve also been using Nizoral 2% shampoo for the past half a year with no benefits apart from an itchy head, so I’ve stopped using it now.
So here is my dilemma – should I take Proscar now or should I wait until I’ve seen the dermatologist, bearing in mind my hair is shedding like crazy at the moment? Also, is there any chance that it isn’t male pattern baldness but maybe a skin condition causing hair loss on my head and pubic region (I think I’m also losing hair on my eyebrow region – maybe I’m just being paranoid?). Coming to think of it, when I’m exercising, particularly when it is warm or when I get stressed, I get these really itchy and unbearable patches over my chest, back and pubic region.
Anyway, thanks for reading this and I would welcome any comments and suggestions. Pictures will also be coming soon!

antonio666

Reaction score
from what you say ,there is not much history of male pattern baldness in your family,but there is very little in my family either ,but if you are unsure go to a derm,sorry i can't be more help