my story (23 - receding w/diffuse thinning

beeman

Reaction score
Hi, i'm not sure where to really start. about last june i was going through a really tough time in my life. i had long thick hair and when i showered i started to notice clumps of hair were collecting in the drain. it bothered me but not too much because when i checked i couldnt really tell where i was losing it from until one day i realized that i was receding at the temples and slightly at my forehead. shortyl afterwards i got my hair cut shorter because i was looking for a job and didnt really pay attention to it for awhile. I ended up getting a job and over time my hair grew longer and everything was fine as far as i could tell, the way i wore it hid the temple recession and the forehead didnt seem to be getting any higher though i did start to notice that i could see a little more of my scalp through the left side of my hairline there. cut to six months later and i have pretty long hair and its noticeably thinner towards the front and on windy days i looked like total sh*t because id have long sections of hair blowing off my head while the rest was staying in place. i got another haircut because of this problem and in retrospect i can see that this was my once glorious hairs' last hurrah because its thinner than ever towards the front and the part of my hair is slightly wider and when i pull up the hair there i can clearly see more scalp than im used to. after reading many posts on this board its safe to say that im a seemingly norwood 2 with diffuse thinning and it scares the sh*t out of me. I also suffer from clinical depression and social anxiety disorder and ive been off my meds for almost a year, so as you can imagine this is devastating. ive seriously considered suicide as an option, but when it boils down to it i really do want to live. im very interested in propecia, but not the apparent shedding caused by minoxidil kind of scares me. I will be seeing a doctor sometime this week (I hope). I dont really know what else to say, I will be posting some pictures soon. any response at all would be appreciated.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
You are going thru what I went thru at your age and i feel for you. Try to seek professional help for the anxiety and depression problem first. Then get on meds like finasteride and minoxidil and ride out the shed. You'll feel better once on treatment. Best of luck.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you wanted to commit suicide because of hair loss, you are a very brave man.

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
The late teens and early 20's is in all likelihood the worst time to lose your hair since not too many other people are. TRUST me..it gets easier as you get older. Everyone handles it differently, and youre certainly not the first person on here who's talked about suicide, so it's not as if you're the odd one out. Try to find somethign that you enjoy doing and focus on that. Find a reason to live rather than a reason not to.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
try not to look at YOUR life so narrowly, if you spend some time reading the news, millions of people are dying from hunger and deseases, here you want to end your life cuz your hair is falling. Does it sound really ridiculous?

I meant no personal attack, I myself know how hard it is to deal with this b.s, but this is life, all we can do is to try to fight it with proven treatment, and if the end result is still bad, time to shave it all off.

I hope treatments will do wonder for you man, but don't let it get to you too much, as depression will only make it worse. Do something you enjoy, spend more time with your friends, and do not study your hair 24/7, GL!

beeman

Reaction score
Hello again, im curious about minoxidil, ive read the back of the bottle and it clearly states that it isnt for frontal hairloss and that i shouldnt use it if my hair loss doesnt match the three pictures on the back. should i even bother? i dont really have much to lose (aside from more hair of course) but id appreciate some input, im also curious as to whether i should use the normal strength or the 5%?. Raging, I understand, sorry to get defensive so quickly

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
beeman, i know how you are feeling. rage is obviously better at coping with his hairloss than many. but there are varying degrees of hair loss, i feel if it is a slower onset, it is easier to deal with.

i too have felt incredibly sad about losing my hair. What got to me was how fast it is happening. In a little over a year's time, my hair has turned to complete crap, scalp was covered in SD and very bad dandruff, I've lost an incredible amount of hair and there seems to be no let up. i know I shouldn't be so down, but it is hard at times. i don't want to go out on windy days, have to always wear hats, comb it differently, even avoid social situations, my personality changed overnight, etc. Plus, i think the younger you are, I'm 25, makes matters worse. I have been on finasteride since mid-August and it doesn't seem to be improving at all. Min I'm afraid to start on b/c of the sheds and the prospect of it making my horrible SD on my scalp even worse and more agitated.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
beeman said:
Hello again, im curious about minoxidil, ive read the back of the bottle and it clearly states that it isnt for frontal hairloss and that i shouldnt use it if my hair loss doesnt match the three pictures on the back. should i even bother? i dont really have much to lose (aside from more hair of course) but id appreciate some input, im also curious as to whether i should use the normal strength or the 5%?. Raging, I understand, sorry to get defensive so quickly

minoxidil works on everywhere, it just works a lot better on the crown than on the frontal section.

aussie

Reaction score
I noticed the foam worked better on the frontal area. Although its still thin there, but better than it was. I gotta get the balls to start on propecia lol

RaginDemon

Reaction score
aussie said:
I noticed the foam worked better on the frontal area. Although its still thin there, but better than it was. I gotta get the balls to start on propecia lol

Propecia really doesn't cause that much harm, its just too many girls whinning here and there.

I don't deny the fact that my libido has decreased a little bit, but aside from that, I don't have any sides. I had watery semen, brain fog, but they gradually went away after 2 months.

You should give it a try and see the result yourself. Don't let loser like Mew hesitate you, the sides are NOT permanent.

aussie

Reaction score
Thanks man, thats the kinda positivity i needed to hear :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
aussie said:
Thanks man, thats the kinda positivity i needed to hear :)

Be consistent, and be patient, good thing will come, don't let the shedding freak you out!

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you know what I haven't had in awhile??

RaginDemon

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
you know what I haven't had in awhile??

chocolate cake?

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nah... Big League Chew

RaginDemon

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
Nah... Big League Chew

damn that was pretty far from my guess.

my second guess would be sex, but then I remember you are one sexy beast and you have a gorgeous gf.