My story, 23 yo, Advanced Hair Loss.

Ratha

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm 23 and have been balding since 18. I wish I had come across this site years ago. Hopefully it's not too late. I'm now on the big 3.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 289
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Photo on 27-09-2014 at 13.30 #3.jpg
    Photo on 27-09-2014 at 13.30 #3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 265

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
Hey Ratha,

Welcome! Thanks for taking good baseline photos. Keep us updated with your progress! Hopefully you respond well to treatments!!

If you don't mind, there is one thing I'd like to ask? I'm 24 and I wanted to see how you came to terms with your hairloss. When did you shave it? Did it have an impact on your social life and self-image, etc? It's something I've not had to deal with up until very recently and I wanted to get some advice from someone who's roughly my same age but more experience and well versed with being dealt ****ty genetics.

Best of luck dude!

Ratha

Reaction score
Hey,

I don't shave my head, I buzz it to #1. I first did this just over a year ago now. It was quite a liberating experience. I think I suit the buzz cut and it certainly help disguise hair loss. However no matter how short you go it's difficult to disguise the horseshoe. It is does knock your confidence which affects social life and other areas. I don't think I have come to terms with it...not at 23. At the moment I'm hoping to have some success with treatments. I honestly didn't believe treatments were that effective up until really searching through this site. It will be hard to take knowing that I could have done something to have stopped/slowed my hair loss before getting to this point. The fact is often you don't know how bad your hair loss is until it gets really bad...if you know what I mean. There is also options in hair transplant...utilising FUE+ BHT+ SMP which should provided me with a strong buzz cut (with no signs of being bald).

Thanks

Koseu

Reaction score
It looks like your hairloss is very diffuse. Some people on this forum argue that diffusers are the best responders to treatments, so you got that going for you :)

I hope you succeed and get the hair you want and keep us updated :D

Ratha

Reaction score
Thanks for your response guys.

I've always thought diffuse thinners as guys that have thinning hairs amongst hairs which aren't affect by DHT. That's not the case for me. My entire crown is filled with miniaturised hairs (no dark hairs, just thin light coloured hair). I have some more darker hair at the front which has been affected less by DHT thus for. Hope this makes sense. Anyway, I have read to that if there is still hair (even miniaturised) then there is the potential to regrow. I fear that my hair (particularly in the crown) is too far a long the miniaturisation process to be saved however I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

I added Nizoral to my regimen last night (now the Big 3).

Whilst applying Rogaine this morning I noticed hair on my fingers (and what could be dead skin?). Is this my first shed? I have been using minoxidil consistently for nearly 2 weeks now. Committed to propecia for the last month. So do you guys think it could be the nizoral? Anyway, its good news right?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your response guys.

I've always thought diffuse thinners as guys that have thinning hairs amongst hairs which aren't affect by DHT. That's not the case for me. My entire crown is filled with miniaturised hairs (no dark hairs, just thin light coloured hair). I have some more darker hair at the front which has been affected less by DHT thus for. Hope this makes sense. Anyway, I have read to that if there is still hair (even miniaturised) then there is the potential to regrow. I fear that my hair (particularly in the crown) is too far a long the miniaturisation process to be saved however I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

I added Nizoral to my regimen last night (now the Big 3).

Whilst applying Rogaine this morning I noticed hair on my fingers (and what could be dead skin?). Is this my first shed? I have been using minoxidil consistently for nearly 2 weeks now. Committed to propecia for the last month. So do you guys think it could be the nizoral? Anyway, its good news right?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I don't think I have come to terms with it...not at 23. At the moment I'm hoping to have some success with treatments. I honestly didn't believe treatments were that effective up until really searching through this site. It will be hard to take knowing that I could have done something to have stopped/slowed my hair loss before getting to this point. The fact is often you don't know how bad your hair loss is until it gets really bad...if you know what I mean.

Your hair loss is pretty advanced, but you are at least trying to do something early in the process. I would say at least you have that going for you. I personally would hit it with the big three and see what happens. You never know you might be surprised with how well you respond.

It is pretty devastating knowing that you could have done something to stop/ slow your hair loss. I treated late in the game and got some decent results. I always think about the results I could have had if I had started sooner. If you want to know how the regret at not treating your hair loss can eat away at you take a trip to the Impact of Hair Loss section. There is a senior member that hangs out there that ignored his hair loss and is now a NW6. I wont mention any names, but he is just a very bitter dude. I guess I would be too knowing I pretty much did nothing to try to help myself and now can't deal with the way I look. At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are trying to fight this.

As far as your last comment goes. I didn't realize my hair loss was as bad as it was until I saw myself on video. I had been buzzing for years, and was surprised when I saw I had a clear horseshoe thing going on.

Ratha

Reaction score
Your hair loss is pretty advanced, but you are at least trying to do something early in the process. I would say at least you have that going for you. I personally would hit it with the big three and see what happens. You never know you might be surprised with how well you respond.

It is pretty devastating knowing that you could have done something to stop/ slow your hair loss. I treated late in the game and got some decent results. I always think about the results I could have had if I had started sooner. If you want to know how the regret at not treating your hair loss can eat away at you take a trip to the Impact of Hair Loss section. There is a senior member that hangs out there that ignored his hair loss and is now a NW6. I wont mention any names, but he is just a very bitter dude. I guess I would be too knowing I pretty much did nothing to try to help myself and now can't deal with the way I look. At least you can take comfort in the fact that you are trying to fight this.

As far as your last comment goes. I didn't realize my hair loss was as bad as it was until I saw myself on video. I had been buzzing for years, and was surprised when I saw I had a clear horseshoe thing going on.

Advanced, especially for my age. Aggressive hair loss meant that it happened pretty fast. I'd say within the last two years I have gone from NW3- NW6. Hair loss didn't bother that much at NW3 level but NW6 with horseshoe is difficult to deal with. I've just turned 23 in September.

My mistake was focusing on hair transplant/restoration rather than trying to treat the hair loss. I can't believe I didn't research treatments thoroughly. It is not common knowledge that treatments are effective though. If it was then you wouldn't see as many bald men...

Anyway, for a clean conscience committing to the treatments for a good length of time and seeing what happens is something I have to do. In theory it should be possible to have some results. I don't have any bald spots on my head. By that I mean bald in the strictest sense. Skin with no hair on it. But as mentioned previously, the hair on my crown is very fair and thin. So I shouldn't expect much to reverse the hair loss there.

One other thing, the skin on my scalp is beginning to flake. Is that a normal side effect?

Hair loss sucks. This is true but you shouldn't let it ruin your life. I feel sorry for the guy you are referring to.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude, I wish you the best of luck. I've certainly seen evidence (although anecdotal) on this site and elsewhere showing great results from situations more dire than yours.

In my case I've just reached NW2 at age 25. I've sort of been NW1.5 my whole life. My plan right now is an all out assault comparable to yours. However, my only source of hesitancy is eliminating all other causes from my life (poor nutrition and dry hair). I have a horrendous diet. A lot of fast food, soda, beer, processed junk. I rarely eat a balanced meal. I also need to hydrate more. When you were going through your transition was there anything diet or haircare wise you wish you could go back and redo? Do you think it could have played a role in the accelerated hair loss?

Ratha

Reaction score
Hey dude, I wish you the best of luck. I've certainly seen evidence (although anecdotal) on this site and elsewhere showing great results from situations more dire than yours.

In my case I've just reached NW2 at age 25. I've sort of been NW1.5 my whole life. My plan right now is an all out assault comparable to yours. However, my only source of hesitancy is eliminating all other causes from my life (poor nutrition and dry hair). I have a horrendous diet. A lot of fast food, soda, beer, processed junk. I rarely eat a balanced meal. I also need to hydrate more. When you were going through your transition was there anything diet or haircare wise you wish you could go back and redo? Do you think it could have played a role in the accelerated hair loss?

That's good to hear.

Diet and male pattern baldness don't have any correlation IMO. Poor diet could possible cause some degree of hair loss or poor quality hair. male pattern baldness is different and is down to genetics.

I don't know too much about the science behind hair loss but that is my understanding. My diet is not perfect but it could be a lot worst and I'm pretty active. That being said I think improving your diet and exercising are important for mental and physical health. As mentioned hair loss can really get you down and even start to affect your health. Also, as I'm learning treating hair loss takes discipline. So teaching yourself to be disciplined for your hair loss treatment regime will also help you be disciplined when it comes to eating right and exercising.