My Story: 4 months on finasteride & minoxidil, beginning to see results (Pics)

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'd like to share my experience with finasteride with you, so far so good - it took me about 3 years to decide whether to take that drug or not but I'm glad I finally came around to it. See pictures directly below and I've copied what I wrote on another website below for you to read, if you feel like it.

BEFORE pictures (August 2013)
Crown August 2013.jpgFront dry August 2013.jpgleft side August 2013 .jpgRight Side Dry August 2013.jpg

AFTER 4 months on finasteride & minoxidil
Crown March 2014 1.jpgFront March 2014 iphone2.jpgLeft Side March 2014 iphone1.jpgRight Side March 2014 iphone3.jpg

The Background: I'm 32 now, I first started noticing thinning around the temples and at the vertex 7 years ago. Nothing major at all, in fact nobody noticed or said anything really until about 1 or 2 years ago. So I did my research of hair transplant surgeons, settled on a few different ones and proceeded with online and in-person consultations. I was originally dead-set against finasteride due to fear of sides but a leading hair transplant surgeon convinced me that it was the only way to go if I wanted to keep my hair. I'm very glad he did, as I think I'm beginning to see regrowth now. It's only been 4 months and I am probably moving slower than some other people on this site but I'm a bit older and nonetheless it seems to be working for me.

The Regime (began 21 November 2013):
Finasteride .875mg every day, in the morning.
Rogaine 2x per day, foam in the morning & liquid in the evening (I find it very difficult to get 2 applications per day still).
Ket 2% shampoo 2-3 times per week.

The difference: it's not like I'm able to style any of these new hairs yet, but I believe they do make a cosmetic difference, in terms of the 'shadow' of a hairline. Hopefully, hopefully, they thicken up a little more and become part of my actual haircut! When I run my hand over the vertex I can feel a lot of seemingly new hairs, about 1 inch or so, growing in, albeit softly. Further, I don't feel that male pattern baldness itch anymore - unless I drop out of a dose. I decided to cut down my dosage to just under 1mg a day (I cut a 5mg tab into 6), and the fact that I'm waiting for delivery of my next batch means I'm just trying to stretch out my last few tabs to make it over the line. It took a few months to actually realise but noticing that the male pattern baldness itch was gone was perhaps the best signifier that it's working for me. Also my hair just feels stronger and thicker. More robust.

The Emotional/Confidence difference: well, right now I'm doing everything I can. Seriously. In my line of work I am just not sure I will be able to get a hair transplant. So I take my finasteride, I apply my rogaine twice a day, I use a 2% ket shampoo a couple of times a week, and I take MSN and biotin. Already, this has done a lot for my confidence. I've mentioned before that it's not really about attracting girls or whatever, it's a deep down 'how I see myself' confidence, and I do think that doing what I can has worked. I feel just, better. Because I'm doing something for myself that requires discipline. I still get that hair anxiety from time to time, but more and more I am getting to know myself (my hair?) like this and accepting it.

The Sides: I have noticed, from time to time, that I've had slight ball ache. Nothing too serious. It's probably happened for a grand total of 4 or 5 days over the last 4 months, and only really slight, and only for a short period of time. I have possibly experienced a drop in libido at certain times (and definitely a rise in libido at the start), but I know how psychosomatic libido is so I'm just trying to ignore it. I'm in a steady relationship and, it sounds funny, but every time I get any sort of doubt I 'test myself' with my partner and so far all seems well! On the whole sensitivity thing down there - I have noticed too, sometimes, that it feels a little different. But it's not like that all the time, it's not bad at all and not very different. Besides, I reduced the dosage somewhat and feel better for it. So on the whole, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself, the sides have been easily manageable.

Overall: I'm happy with my progress so far. If it keeps up something similar for the rest of the year then I'll have transformed from a nearly NW3V to a NW1.5!! That's something to keep hoping for.

temp600

Reaction score
When did you first start noticing new hair growing? Great improvement so far. If it keeps up like that you should be very pleased with the results in the next few months

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I noticed new little hairs emerging probably in as little as 2 months. This is kinda bro-science right here but I think it coincided with me switching to using the rogaine liquid at night. In fact pretty much all my knowledge on hair loss comes from my PhD at Bro Science university.

I think the hairline probably looks better in the last pictures than how I see it in the mirror, the new (or returning?) hairs don't make too much cosmetic difference yet. Also the left side has a sort of gap in it that I hope will fill out. But they still appear to be getting thicker and longer so hopefully by the end of the year they will be just like the other hairs in the hairline. I'm definitely happy about my crown though, it looks like it's filling out well and the hairs are growing out stronger.

For the first time in over ten years I'm thinking of doing something drastic like shaving my head to see if they'll all grow together, also because I'm not too worried anymore about it looking like I have a larger thinning area at the back. If I pull my hair back and let the new little hairline fall I look like I have a thinnish NW1.5
hairline, tops. So I might give it another few months and then shave it off?

On the flip side I'm thinking that, if I grew it out, in a year or so it may not look too different to this guy:
http://www.sickchirpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-5.jpg

:)