My Story - 7 years of hairloss: realized mistakes

darkphoenix16

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

When I was growing up the hair dresser would always comment on how I would never go bald because I had so much hair. Well she was wrong. My hair started thinning when I first attended University when I was 18. I believe it was the stress of the transition that started it all. You couldn't tell my hair was thinning, it was hardly noticeable but it still bothered me.

During my final year of University I had a huge workload and my hair would fall out with clumps. I attribute that to a poor diet, stress, and a lack of sleep. Not sure if it ever grew back or not.

I am now 25 and I have been using some form of minoxidil for 4 years and finasteride for almost 2. My hair is falling out at the front of my head, my hairline is fine...strange eh? Anyways, I have also tried other "treatments." Copper peptides, spironolactone, various things from Dr Proctor, the laser comb, and some horrible gunk named Procede that is supposed to only need to be used once every three-four months. It made my hair fallout on contact. I have actually never fully recovered from the allergic reaction to that stuff and it has been 6 months.

After battling hair loss for 7 years I feel that I have as much experience as anyone else. I have some advice for people. Don't worry about it. Men go bald and that is all there is to it. I was foolish to spend all the money I did on the problem. A few months ago I looked at myself in the mirror and I decided I was tired of all this sh*t. I took out my clippers and cut my hair as short as I could. I shocked everyone, got some good comments, got some joke comments. I stopped taking finasteride and after a week or so I could think so clearly, I was happier, and I had more energy. It has been almost a month and I have noticed some fat loss. Overall I am much healthier. Skeptics might say that these changes are all in my head...but I am inclined to say that they are wrong. When I first started taking finasteride I noticed brain fog. It didn't so much go away but rather I got used to it and it became unnoticeable (until I stopped taking it). Oh, and I should note that I was a good responder to finasteride. My hair loss noticeably stopped since using it.

Just yesterday I "relapsed" and I ingested 1mg of finasteride. Wish I didn't though. I feel different when I take it... In my opinion the problem with male pattern baldness isn't your loss of hair, but the dangerous state of vulnerability you are placed in. I'm still battling with it myself. The industrial world wants you to be in this state. They would prefer that you purchase their products to cure your disease. The irony of it is that you are feeding a different kind of disease more than you are curing your baldness. Are we all really that vain and weak to be afraid to be bald? We are supposed to be men but we do not seem to be acting like men. I think we all need to take a real good look in the mirror and realize that losing hair sucks, but there is a more serious problem that you have to confront with before you think about spending money on treatment.

I'm not trying to demeanor all the efforts people have put into researching different treatments, nor do I think they are wrong to use them. I would like to see a board that simply deals with accepting your hair loss and focusing the energy you would otherwise spend on trying to prevent it onto general body health and a better state of mind though. I really do think that many people get addicted to finding a cure for male pattern baldness and make poorer decisions the more desperate they get. Don't you think it would be better to accept being bald then taking systematic drugs and sinking a unhealthy amount of time and money into something that is essentially only cosmetic?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I said?

MSU4life

Reaction score
Re: My Story - 7 years of hairloss

I have def. noticed the brain fog. Not sure if I can quit finasteride though.

G

this board is really meant for people who are treating their hair loss for encouragement. by encouraging people to quit their treatments and bald like you, you're basically doing the opposite. :dunno:

RaginDemon

Reaction score

darkphoenix16 said:
Hello everyone.

When I was growing up the hair dresser would always comment on how I would never go bald because I had so much hair. Well she was wrong. My hair started thinning when I first attended University when I was 18. I believe it was the stress of the transition that started it all. You couldn't tell my hair was thinning, it was hardly noticeable but it still bothered me.

During my final year of University I had a huge workload and my hair would fall out with clumps. I attribute that to a poor diet, stress, and a lack of sleep. Not sure if it ever grew back or not.

I am now 25 and I have been using some form of minoxidil for 4 years and finasteride for almost 2. My hair is falling out at the front of my head, my hairline is fine...strange eh? Anyways, I have also tried other "treatments." Copper peptides, spironolactone, various things from Dr Proctor, the laser comb, and some horrible gunk named Procede that is supposed to only need to be used once every three-four months. It made my hair fallout on contact. I have actually never fully recovered from the allergic reaction to that stuff and it has been 6 months.

After battling hair loss for 7 years I feel that I have as much experience as anyone else. I have some advice for people. Don't worry about it. Men go bald and that is all there is to it. I was foolish to spend all the money I did on the problem. A few months ago I looked at myself in the mirror and I decided I was tired of all this $#iT. I took out my clippers and cut my hair as short as I could. I shocked everyone, got some good comments, got some joke comments. I stopped taking finasteride and after a week or so I could think so clearly, I was happier, and I had more energy. It has been almost a month and I have noticed some fat loss. Overall I am much healthier. Skeptics might say that these changes are all in my head...but I am inclined to say that they are wrong. When I first started taking finasteride I noticed brain fog. It didn't so much go away but rather I got used to it and it became unnoticeable (until I stopped taking it). Oh, and I should note that I was a good responder to finasteride. My hair loss noticeably stopped since using it.

Just yesterday I "relapsed" and I ingested 1mg of finasteride. Wish I didn't though. I feel different when I take it... In my opinion the problem with male pattern baldness isn't your loss of hair, but the dangerous state of vulnerability you are placed in. I'm still battling with it myself. The industrial world wants you to be in this state. They would prefer that you purchase their products to cure your disease. The irony of it is that you are feeding a different kind of disease more than you are curing your baldness. Are we all really that vain and weak to be afraid to be bald? We are supposed to be men but we do not seem to be acting like men. I think we all need to take a real good look in the mirror and realize that losing hair sucks, but there is a more serious problem that you have to confront with before you think about spending money on treatment.

I'm not trying to demeanor all the efforts people have put into researching different treatments, nor do I think they are wrong to use them. I would like to see a board that simply deals with accepting your hair loss and focusing the energy you would otherwise spend on trying to prevent it onto general body health and a better state of mind though. I really do think that many people get addicted to finding a cure for male pattern baldness and make poorer decisions the more desperate they get. Don't you think it would be better to accept being bald then taking systematic drugs and sinking a unhealthy amount of time and money into something that is essentially only cosmetic?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I said?

Its time for you to leave I guess, most of us are here to combat hair loss.

darkphoenix16

Reaction score
Re: My Story - 7 years of hairloss realized mistakes

Fair enough. I do think that finasteride is a little dangerous, at least in my case. I'm a programmer and I did work slower than when I came off the drug. Just a word of caution I suppose and to really weigh whether hair is worth the issues you experience while on the drug. It is just hair after all.

I don't see a problem with healthy minded people combating hair loss because they want more hair (as long as they do it safely). Some people get finasteride without a prescription...Also I think some people are dreadfully afraid of being bald, or having a bald spot. That kind of fear for something as silly as having hair should also be taken seriously. If this board is really meant to help people with hair loss then I think that issue should be talked about too...not just whether A combined with B grows a little hair.

If you keep your hair you are not really winning anything meaningful. When I told my gf that I was going to take finasteride she looked at me like I was an idiot...she didn't think it was that important to risk my health over and now I think the same way and feel much better, more secure, because of it. The loss of clear thought should be taken seriously....that is your BRAIN malfunctioning...At this point I don't understand how I could think that hair was more important than brain health, and when I realized my mistake I attributed it to the lack of focus of dealing with hair loss by accepting it. All I could find were posts about people trying all these drug cocktails. Accepting it should be taken as a legit step before taking medication to combat it. Just think if everyone that was going bald took the time to learn to accept it before taking steps to combat it. I would assume people would make more logical decisions on what to try because their actions wouldn't be motivated by fear. People act irrationally when afraid.

I should also point out that girls like bald guys too. My friends gf said she was attracted to him because he had a shaved head with a receding hairline...so all is not lost if you are worried about girls being attracted to you.

That is just me I suppose.

Here is a motivational vid that might help some struggling chaps with their hair loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOK-ZVJ ... ndipity%2F

darkphoenix16

Reaction score

JayMan said:
this board is really meant for people who are treating their hair loss for encouragement. by encouraging people to quit their treatments and bald like you, you're basically doing the opposite. :dunno:

Yah. I can see where you are coming from, I do wish some people had a little more sense about it though. Ive read a few topics regarding som e pretty serious sides they are experiencing with some drug and replies telling them to stick with it...not really the right message and it kind of bothers me.

I do think balding is just one of those things that most men have to deal with because of your package :) It isn't so bad though. We can pee standing up. Girls have to go through pregnancy and get a little surprise each month :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score

darkphoenix16 said:
Fair enough. I do think that finasteride is a little dangerous, at least in my case. I'm a programmer and I did work slower than when I came off the drug. Just a word of caution I suppose and to really weigh whether hair is worth the issues you experience while on the drug. It is just hair after all.

I don't see a problem with healthy minded people combating hair loss because they want more hair (as long as they do it safely). Some people get finasteride without a prescription...Also I think some people are dreadfully afraid of being bald, or having a bald spot. That kind of fear for something as silly as having hair should also be taken seriously. If this board is really meant to help people with hair loss then I think that issue should be talked about too...not just whether A combined with B grows a little hair.

If you keep your hair you are not really winning anything meaningful. When I told my gf that I was going to take finasteride she looked at me like I was an idiot...she didn't think it was that important to risk my health over and now I think the same way and feel much better, more secure, because of it. The loss of clear thought should be taken seriously....that is your BRAIN malfunctioning...At this point I don't understand how I could think that hair was more important than brain health, and when I realized my mistake I attributed it to the lack of focus of dealing with hair loss by accepting it. All I could find were posts about people trying all these drug cocktails. Accepting it should be taken as a legit step before taking medication to combat it. Just think if everyone that was going bald took the time to learn to accept it before taking steps to combat it. I would assume people would make more logical decisions on what to try because their actions wouldn't be motivated by fear. People act irrationally when afraid.

I should also point out that girls like bald guys too. My friends gf said she was attracted to him because he had a shaved head with a receding hairline...so all is not lost if you are worried about girls being attracted to you.

That is just me I suppose.

Here is a motivational vid that might help some struggling chaps with their hair loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOK-ZVJ ... ndipity%2F

I am happy you have accepted your hair loss man, I hope one day I can too, I hope you enjoy your life and I wish you the best in 2008!

Merry Xmas brotha!

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep thanks for making me feel worse about something I cannot give up. I model for a living... a model with a combover is not gonna make much money.

I know I have brain fog and am always searching for words and hate it. But without hair I have no money. My girlfriend would stay with me with a without hair. A few years from now there may be some better preventative treatments which will not aid aznyone who has already lost their hair. I am going to be keeping what I have.

Have a great Christmas.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Kiel, its good to know that your girl loves you for who you are, I am not too certain if my gf will leave me if I don't have hair. Oh well one day I will tell her.

darkphoenix16

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
Yep thanks for making me feel worse about something I cannot give up. I model for a living... a model with a combover is not gonna make much money.

I know I have brain fog and am always searching for words and hate it. But without hair I have no money. My girlfriend would stay with me with a without hair. A few years from now there may be some better preventative treatments which will not aid aznyone who has already lost their hair. I am going to be keeping what I have.

Have a great Christmas.

Yah, it is too bad you are relying on your hair for income. If you are model you must have a nice face though, there are plenty of good looking guys who shave their heads so if the brain fog gets to be too much for you try not to be too disappointed in yourself.

I am not sure if the brain fog causes any permanent damage so if you don't need clear thought then roll the dice if you think it is the better choice. I need to think quickly with my job so it kinda wasn't an option to stay on the drug. I'll still keep a look out for treatments that work...but the difference this time around is that I don't care if they don't work, I'm not going to sink a lot of money into it, and I'm not going to take anything that has harmful effects on my body.

darkphoenix16

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
I am happy you have accepted your hair loss man, I hope one day I can too, I hope you enjoy your life and I wish you the best in 2008!

Merry Xmas brotha!

Thanks! And a Merry Christmas to you as well! I hope I am not coming off as an a**h** or anything. I just wanted to let people know that going bald isn't the end of the world and if you put some effort into not seeing it as a negative thing you will be better off. I feel much better for it....I'm now going to put all the effort that was going into my hair into a fit body for the summer :) Something that will show results for sure after a little hard work.

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
I find this post refreshing, useful, and informative. This site shouldn;t be only for people combatting "hairloss." A lot of the people on here don't even HAVE any hairloss. Everyone says "get on the meds asap.....oh no....you've gone from a NW1 to a Norwood 1,1!!!." Some of us are in different situations. I for one have got to come to grips with my baldness. That's right...BALD!!!! None of this my hairline doesn;t look like an 8 year old girl's hairline stuff. I work in an elementary school, where the only other 5 men on staff have full heads of hair. Kids don;t hold back either, they let you know you're bald, constantly and thoroughly. I'm certainly not going to quit my job because of it. I'm not the first bald teacher ever. If I could accept the way I look, and not worry about being bald, I;d be just as happy as if they found a complete cure. That's what I'm working on. I'm tired of trying to watch a football game or a movie and worrying about how I look. It's nice to hear these kinds of threads that help people accept the situation. You;re certainly not comming off as an a**h**. I'm happy for you and I can;t wait for the day I feel exactly the same. Congrats!

PS: Kiel....what's ironic is that hairloss is such a stigma BECAUSE all models/actors/musicians/athletes have full heads of hair. The thought of not even considering having someone appear in public because theyre bald says it all. Do us a favor...use your stunning good looks to be in some ad's or something as a bald dude (even though you have more hair than like 80% of the population.) And if not...you dont NEED hair to be a model, just get a rug like all the other models and Hollywood celebs do.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
darkphoenix16 said:
KielMcK said:

Have a great Christmas.

Yah, it is too bad you are relying on your hair for income. If you are model you must have a nice face though, there are plenty of good looking guys who shave their heads so if the brain fog gets to be too much for you try not to be too disappointed in yourself.

I am not sure if the brain fog causes any permanent damage so if you don't need clear thought then roll the dice if you think it is the better choice. I need to think quickly with my job so it kinda wasn't an option to stay on the drug. I'll still keep a look out for treatments that work...but the difference this time around is that I don't care if they don't work, I'm not going to sink a lot of money into it, and I'm not going to take anything that has harmful effects on my body.

It is actaully him in his avatar, he is a good looking dude.

HairMe

Reaction score
Merry X'mas to all! just for this 2 days, forget about male pattern baldness :woot:

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
darkphoenix16, I thought that your post was great.

Not everyone takes a pill and then sees results, some people have to move on. I get the brain fog as well, not a great side effect. I do agree that we need to change our thinking. We are caught up and are victims in a sh*t *** culture. thanks for your post and happy holidays.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Merry Xmas mates!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
still pay us a visit once in a while, hope you do great in life!