My Story - Minoxidil, Nizoral, Cetrizine and Finasteride

Irishjim

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my story.

Im 38 year old been thinning for about 8 years now starting on the crown then the temples. My hairline is OK, just thin all over. I decided to buzz it a few years ago but recently started thinking I want my hair back! it could be the big 4 O approaching. Im going to give it a year to see can I get some regrowth by using minoxidil, Nizoral and experimenting with Cet which seems to be getting some results for people on this forum. I have just started yesterday tapering onto finasteride. My brothers and dad are either bald or thinning.

Would appreciate views on what my Norwood stage is and can I expect results based on the pictures and my age?

I have a few pictures from when I started 2.5 months ago and where I am now. First picture is baseline from the front, 2nd and 3rd are front and back a month later (some shedding I think). 4th and 5th are front and back 2 months into it. I see some good growth on the crown and checking today (3 weeks after that picture) I can see more new dark hair on the crown. Ill update the pictures as I take them monthly. I will try keep the length and light the same for each picture from now on. I am hoping being on the big 3 I can thicken up the front too over the next year! Fingers crossed.

If I see some thickening/re-growth Ill let my hair grow.

Hair 3 18th Nov 2012.jpgFront Dec 2012.jpgBack Dec 2012.jpgFront Jan 2013.jpgBack Jan 2013.jpgFront Mar 24th 2013.jpgCrown Mar 24th 2013.jpg

Thanks.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi I see some good regrowth there! Good job! keep it up!

mires

Reaction score
That looks very similar to my baseline 1.4 years ago, except that you're thinning more diffusely. I was 28 when my hair looked like that and I too decided to do something about it probably mainly because of the big 30 approaching ;). It's "nice" for a change to see people who actually have quite advanced male pattern baldness on these forums, most guys are panicking over minor temple recession or some beginning thinning of the crown. We, the NW4+'s are definitely in the minority.

Your regimen looks good, don't know about the Ceterizine though. Oh and I would closely monitor the itch-levels with those topicals and nizoral if I were you. What I have learned during the course of my battle against male pattern baldness is that it is *very* important that you do not have any scalp itch whatsoever. I was going overboard with my regimen, especially with Nizoral, and the first symptom was that my scalp was becoming increasingly itchy and over time it actually led to further hairloss. In other words, you can easily cause irritation inflammation if you are using some product your scalp does not like or if you're overusing the topicals.

What I recommend is that you add emu oil to your regimen, especially if you start getting severe dandruff or itchiness or any other scalp issues. Emu oil is awesome for the skin and it is an anti-inflammatory as well which is always good in the fight against male pattern baldness.

Since our situation and baseline are quite similar you probably might want to take a look at my thread over here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/57259-mires-s-story

mires

Reaction score
"The itch" is a good indication of how well your regimen is doing. Before treatment I did have a more or less permanent low-level itch ever since my balding process began and at the beginning of my regimen the itch disappeared completely only to return with a vengeance when DHT inflammation turned into irritation inflammation.

Inflammation is what you want to fight and the itch correlates very much with the amount of inflammation in your scalp.

Irishjim

Reaction score
Week and a half on finasteride, so sides except for an intermittent bit of ball ache. Yesterday I noticed that one of my eyebrow hairs had grown to over an inch long! Something is working :)

- - - Updated - - -

Have stopped the CET, too many topicals so im going to stick with the BIG 3 and see how that goes over the next year.

Irishjim

Reaction score
just added 2 new photo's to the original post from today 24th of March. Some new growth coming through on the crown which I expect is the 4 months of minoxidil, hopefully the newer hairs will thicken up. Im only 6 weeks into finasteride & nizoral so lets see over the next few months if I can get some thickening of the front & middle.