My Story of Hair Loss

sheesh01

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this forum today and after reading some of the posts I think it'll be a great support. I noticed my hair starting to fall out on 9th January 2011. During the following 3 weeks I watched with horror more and more of my hair come out when I was in the shower, when I dried my hair, brushing it or running my hand through it. Eventually the hairline at the sides of my head had receded badly and there was a noticable bald patch growing on the crown of my head. I knew people would start to notice at work so I went out and bought some scarves to wear. By this time my hair felt horrible, and it was incredibly depressing to see it rapidly falling out. That same day my sister brought me her wig she wore when she had breast cancer and after trying it on, it was perfect for me. So after wearing the wig out for tea with my husband when I still had some hair left, and knowing it looked ok, I came home and asked him to shave my head. I thought I would cry afterwards, but it actually looked OK. I still had eyebrows and eye lashes at the point. So that was in February. Since then I've seen a consultant who confirmed I had alopecia areata, and suggested I try a steriod lotion, Dermovate. I got that from my doctor and after 5 weeks using it, I had less hair than at the start. I stopped using it and am now waiting on an appointment with the dermatology department. I have my doubts they can help, but we'll see. I now have pretty much no hair anywhere, and just lost my last eyelashes this week. I don't let it stop me doing anything, and I still run, play golf, cycle and I've been swimming. I now had 4 wigs, 2 of which I wear regularly. Because I don't feel ill, and don't think there is anything seriously wrong with me, I find it hard to complain about my situation, as there are people suffering with far worse things than me. I do have a cry sometimes, but I'm determined not to let it get me down. I'm looking forward to posting updates and receiving support and information from the people posting here.