My story so far + AHK-Cu trial

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
SHORT VERSION:
-------------------
38 yrs old happily married with school going kids. Always had some male pattern baldness since the 20s. Was about NW2/2.5 when I turned 30. Lost about a norwood scale every couple of years since then. Was about NW5/6 beginning March this year when I started treatment for the first time.

On big 3 for about 6 months: 5% Min twice daily, 1.25mg finasteride daily, Regenepure DR daily, Nizoral once a week

Some success so far and turned to NW4 so far and am quite happy with people commenting on looks (those who have seen me after 6 months).
-------------------

LONG VERSION
-----------------

I am guilty of lurking on this forum for about 4-5 months but I intend to more than make up for it moving forward. I am 38 years old and only since March this year I have started treatment with good results so far. Here is my story so far. I realise I am not posting any pics now but I will when I can hopefully class it as a success and post a thread in success stories.

MY STORY
------------
I have had male pattern baldness to certain extent since my 20s and my hairline receded slowly but surely but did not have any bald patch at the crown until my early 30s so I did not care much. I would say I would be NW2/2.5 when I turned 30. I moved from India to UK at that time. During the last 5-10 years my male pattern baldness went into another gear losing about a norwood scale every couple of years. Then I had an important event in Feb this year. Around Cristmas 2014 I started thinking about my hairloss and felt depressed meeting everyone with NW5-6, specially those who hadn't seen me for a decade. This prompted me to shave my head during the Christmas break and starting to take care of my scalp hoping some hair would grow back in a couple of months. Little change as they grew back. My hair was 2 months growth at time of the event and I ended up buying toppik, etc. As you would expect they only made it look worse/horrible on a bald temple & crown. The only thing that helped was mascara which would darken and thicken up my hair and make some vellus look like normal hair. So I did that.
Pleasently, my fears did not come true and people did not comment adversely on my trip and loved me more than they ever did before. That's family for you :)

However, my elder bro about 45 years old was maintaining a good head of hair and he recommended Minoxidil and Finasteride so I bought a year's supply from India. Generic finasteride is dirst cheap there (about $2 for 10 5mg tabs which lasts a month). Even Minoxidil 5% 60ml is about $2.

Well, so I returned and started Minoxidil %5 twice daily and finasteride 1.25mg daily. About a month or two later I added Regenepure DR daily and Nizoral once a week. I should also mention I sit in a hot bath for 20 min every evening(with my head out of water though). I put about 10 drops of tea tree oil as water is filling up and splash that water on my head before I get into the bath. Halfway through I use about a drop of nizoral/Reg and massage into the affected areas and leave it for 5-10 minutes. I also started taking multivitamin once every 2-3 days.

I think I have turned back 1-2 norwood points in 6 months so am quite happy so far + I have loads of vellus in temples growing low even further than my juvenile hairline. I also apply ginger, egg, oil massage etc once a week randomly (any one just one every week on sunday). I also eat a banana on days I remember, and sometimes buy and eat mixed seeds. I also drink 1-2 cups of green tea daily.

I do not have itchy scalp etc but maybe only maybe my libido might have gone down a bit with finasteride (cannot be sure though as its difficult for me to gauge my libido). Even if it has, it has not affected me in a way it would bother. If I were younger and did not have kids I would never have done anything that had any chance of affecting my libido or sperm count but its different now. I got no sides from Min or nizoral but I use nizoral only once weekly because it has SLS.

I am now getting greedy so have started/going to start the following:
- dutasteride 0.5 once a week (to add to daily finasteride not replace). Just ordered today.
- Oil massage once/twice weekly. I have ordered the ingredients and will make my own oil with Pumpkin seed oil infused with dried Saw palmetto berries, stinging nettle root and Rosemary.
- Dermarolling with 0.5mm twice a week before applying minoxidil. Bit firmly on temple and crown, gently in other places

I have been thinking of S5 and RU but will try those perhaps in another 6 months because if I mix too many things I will never know what is working and what is not.

AHK-Cu Trial
---------------
There is so much confusion around this so I decided to conduct a trial. I ordered 3 bottles so Rejuveplex and 5g AHK-Cu from them. Mixed them all together so it will be about 3% AHK-Cu. I am applying just a drop of this everyday on my right temple only (which is bald save for vellus). I intend to do it for 3-6 months to see if my right side looks better or worse or same. I hope this will clear the confusion for me and others. I am 2 weeks into this trial already.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to thank everyone on this forum it has helped me a lot in finding out about things, getting encouragement and preparing my regime.

Last edited:

Geoellison

Reaction score
Congratulations

Nice to read your success story. You may want to consider that in addition to massaging scalp with oil 1/2x week, that you also massage your scalp everyday for about 1 min. (can be done without oil). I have been doing this for over 10 yrs. and has helped me keep and grow my hair.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you decide to go on RU, S5 cream is not going to do anything because RU is a lot stronger. Also most people don't seem satisfied with S5 cream. Just saying this so you don't waste your money.
Also I kinda hope you do the AHK-CU trial for 6 months because I am considering adding it to my regimen and 6 months seems to be the best time to assess if something is working.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go on RU, S5 cream is not going to do anything because RU is a lot stronger. Also most people don't seem satisfied with S5 cream. Just saying this so you don't waste your money.
Also I kinda hope you do the AHK-CU trial for 6 months because I am considering adding it to my regimen and 6 months seems to be the best time to assess if something is working.

Thanks. I have AHK-Cu which will last years so will do the AHK-Cu trial until 6 months or more unless at any time my AHK side starts looking clearly worse than the other. Also thanks on the RU/S5 advise. I will use that in 6 months time if all goes to plan.