My story so far, With Pics! Advice Appreciated

Reaction score
Hey all, I've posted a few threads here in the past but I really wanted to put it all on the table and see what everyone thinks. I will be updating this thread every couple months to show you guys my progress, if any.

I'm 21 years old, noticed hair thinning around 19. My dad is 60 and just about completely bald. I've been diagnosed with Male Pattern Baldness. I struggle with anxiety issues as well (I know this does not help). I've listed my current regime below, followed by pictures, and then a few questions I would like answered if possible.

My current regime:
-Propecia 1mg daily. Been on it for 7 weeks now
-Rogaine liquid 1-2ml every night. Been on it for 1 week now
-Rogaine foam 1-2 cap sizes every morning. 1 week
(I have received some facial swelling and possible dark circles from rogaine, so I have decided to stop, at least for now).
-I will add a keto shampoo within the next week or so
-Multi Vitamin
-I also plan on getting on anxiety medication when I return home in 2 months (I'm studying abroad right now).

Pictures at current state. (Note* My hair is somewhat long right now which is why I have my hair on top pushed all the way forward and then parted where thinning)
IMG_0549.JPGIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpg
I realize its been to soon to see results which is why I've included pictures from now instead of baseline.

Questions:
-Is it possible for regrowth with just Propecia and a keto shampoo with where I'm at? If not would using a lower % minoxidil or using it less frequently help with side effects? Would I still get results if I lowered usage?
-Once I get my anxiety under control, can I regain hairs I've lost from that? Or are they gone because of the male pattern baldness?
-I drink more alcohol then I should, and smoke cigs (normally only while drinking). Would stopping/cutting back help?
-For the time being; would my thinning spot be less noticeable with shorter hair? Or longer hair because it can help cover it up?
-Is there anything else you guys can recommend?

I know everyone loses hair and responds to treatments differently but I want to know your guys' opinions regardless. I realize my balding isn't nearly as bad as some of you on here but I'm young and want to at least keep what I have. Thank you and best of luck to all.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 36100View attachment 36101View attachment 36102
I realize its been to soon to see results which is why I've included pictures from now instead of baseline.

Questions:
-Is it possible for regrowth with just Propecia and a keto shampoo with where I'm at? If not would using a lower % minoxidil or using it less frequently help with side effects? Would I still get results if I lowered usage?
-Once I get my anxiety under control, can I regain hairs I've lost from that? Or are they gone because of the male pattern baldness?
-I drink more alcohol then I should, and smoke cigs (normally only while drinking). Would stopping/cutting back help?
-For the time being; would my thinning spot be less noticeable with shorter hair? Or longer hair because it can help cover it up?
-Is there anything else you guys can recommend?

It is possible to get regrowth on Propecia. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo is to help provide a nice clean scalp to allow hairs to grow better since the anti-fungal compound does have anti-andgrogenic and anti-inflammatory properties which fights and helps treat genetic hair loss. It's recommended to use Minoxidil if there's potential for good hair regrowth. You can try using Minoxidil once daily and see if that will help side effects to subside, the medicine is still nicely effective using it once a day.

The hairs you've lost is from your Male Pattern Baldness. It is incredibly unlikely you've lost any hair from your anxiety. I strongly recommend to quit smoking cigarettes for the sake of your health and cut down on alcohol consumption. Again, it's for your health, and I highly doubt stopping/cutting back on those two things would make much of any difference on your hair.

Keep your hair the way you feel most comfortable with. You can keep your hair longer to help cover up thinning areas as long as it's styled properly. Keeping your hair short may give the illusion of having more hair and make thinning look less apparent, though the vast majority of the time that will work with buzz cuts only.

--------

Edit: This thread is now in the "Tell Your Story" section.

Reaction score
It is possible to get regrowth on Propecia. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo is to help provide a nice clean scalp to allow hairs to grow better since the anti-fungal compound does have anti-andgrogenic and anti-inflammatory properties which fights and helps treat genetic hair loss. It's recommended to use Minoxidil if there's potential for good hair regrowth. You can try using Minoxidil once daily and see if that will help side effects to subside, the medicine is still nicely effective using it once a day.

The hairs you've lost is from your Male Pattern Baldness. It is incredibly unlikely you've lost any hair from your anxiety. I strongly recommend to quit smoking cigarettes for the sake of your health and cut down on alcohol consumption. Again, it's for your health, and I highly doubt stopping/cutting back on those two things would make much of any difference on your hair.

Keep your hair the way you feel most comfortable with. You can keep your hair longer to help cover up thinning areas as long as it's styled properly. Keeping your hair short may give the illusion of having more hair and make thinning look less apparent, though the vast majority of the time that will work with buzz cuts only.

--------

Edit: This thread is now in the "Tell Your Story" section.

Would you recommend the foam or liquid rogaine in terms of wanting less side effects?
Thanks for all the advice man

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
How much are you drinking? Also what style of drinking is it strictly social or is it to cope with anxiety and stress? I started to notice shedding at 23 and started to use alcohol and substances to cope and spiraled quickly. It might just be mental but I do think my shedding has decreased since I stopped drinking 6 months ago. But yeah drinking on anxiety can be bad. Threes years zoomed by for me doing it.

Reaction score
How much are you drinking? Also what style of drinking is it strictly social or is it to cope with anxiety and stress? I started to notice shedding at 23 and started to use alcohol and substances to cope and spiraled quickly. It might just be mental but I do think my shedding has decreased since I stopped drinking 6 months ago. But yeah drinking on anxiety can be bad. Threes years zoomed by for me doing it.

I drink socially, dont have a drinking problem or anything. I'm just a college kid that definitely drinks more than the average person.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
you're on a good regimen, stick to it and most likely you will reduce/reverse/maintain hair loss for a good 5+ years. By that time it will matter less to you and there will be more options.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you recommend the foam or liquid rogaine in terms of wanting less side effects?
Thanks for all the advice man

I have used both foam and liquid versions of Minoxidil, and I'm currently using the foam version. From my experience and in my opinion, I think both work exactly the same in terms of effectiveness. I doubt favoring the foam or liquid version of Minoxidil will make any difference in terms of attempting to lessen side effects, I recommend to use which ever one you feel most comfortable with and most suitable for you.