my story with a hint of irony

NaS

Reaction score
About 4 months ago i got this hair cut which really accentuated my backward creeping hairline. In retrospect i was very much overstating the problem, as the hair cut just made it appear a lot more shorter - making it difficult to style my hair the way i like. This led me to believe I was going bald. And so began the saga about my hair

A month or so down the track I got over this paranoia because my hair grew back, enabling me to style my hair line in the way i wanted. Naturally I forgot about it, and never really thought about it much until christmas creeped up.. My brother told me he could see my scalp when i was standing under the light which scared me... because I was renowned for my thick, luscious and lion-like hair.

SInce then it's been a daily process of examining my hair, worrying about it, feeling it for changes. It's beginning to drive me nuts because it's taking a toll on me psychologically. For some reason i can't help but think that my paranoia is creating the problem, and is making my hair fall out. BEcause since then, it just feels worse. It feels thinner, and more of my scalp can be seen.

It's ironic because a couple of months prior to that i was worried about my hair line, which ended up being fine, but then the ACTUAL onset of baldness was occuring on my crown.

Now what's fucked me up is that i examined my family tree, and traced the patterns of hair loss. My dad has the typical male pattern baldness where the hairline receded first, then the crown, bla bla bla. His older brother has more hair than him, his younger brother had less hair.

My mum's father went bald @ the front. Kind of like a Tony Soprano at the beginning of season 1, but a lot more hair on the forelock. This was about the age of 30.

My great grandfather on my mum's side had nice hair as far as i can tell from the photos. My pattern looks different from the one my grandfather had, as im not going bald @ the front , but @ the crown. Secdonly, im only 20, and it seems pretty rapid right now.

As i speak im feeling my crown and it feels very sparse and thin. It depresses me.

About a month ago i got on proscar, taking it daily. Just last week I bought Nizoral 2%. So far the crown feels slightly thinner than from when i first started and i dont know if this is because of the meds or because im just being a paranoid f***...

lately ive been thinking that because it's all in my head, ive created the problem.. Because i keep checking my hair 24/7 that Ive essentially caused this hair loss. Just like someone who dies out of shock because they think theyve been bitten by a venomous snake when it wasnt venomous. Like a "nocebo" concept... ANyone thought of this?

Anyway, pictures will be posted later on...

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
If you never thought about it until your brother pointed it out, I don't see how it can be psychological. It's male pattern baldness, my friend. You're lucky you caught it early (unlike myself, who wasted a year before treating it). Add some Rogaine to your routine and try to forget about it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
if other people point it out, you are most likely balding.

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
Your family history is not important.
My father is the only one who got male pattern baldness and his 3 brothers didnt! Also his dad didnt had male pattern baldness.
Now, Im the lucky one with male pattern baldness and my brother doesnt have it. :mrgreen:

fallenstarinc

Reaction score
this is the exact same thing i am dealing with. i really think some how i thought myself into balding. im glad someone pointed this out. i was worried about balding (for no real reason at all) back when i had absolutely no hairloss what so ever. dad has a full head of hair, uncles on my moms side are thinning now in their 50s. im a paranoid type person. i would check everyday. perfect hairline, thick hair all over. in the past 2 years i have watched hairs start to miniaturize, and my hairline creep up about a half an inch on both sides. i got over that paranoia, and started worrying about the back of my head when there were no problems there either. now im getting a little thin on the crown. i dont believe in anything idealistic, so i dont think i somehow thought it on myself. but god....what irony. still the average person wouldnt say i was balding at all. my gf has told me that my temples go up pretty far. im between a Norwood 1.5 or Norwood 2 at the very most. her hairline is super super low tho.....so naturally she would point that out.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol that sounds a lot like my story. At first I too was examining my hairline and being paranoid about receding. I still haven't receded one bit but my hair is very thin everywhere on top except the hairline. Better get on some meds and pray that they'll work. Did nothing for me and here I am, a little less than 2 years after noticing the balding and pretty damn bald on top. It can be fast...

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you stopped treatment right, ghg?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

No, I stopped finasteride but I'm still on foam 'cause I feel that it might have done something. The finasteride sides are still on almost 2 months after stopping...

metalheaddude

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:

True. And often if you suspect yourself of balding you usually are. Thats what happend to me and alas i was!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
RaginDemon said:

True. And often if you suspect yourself of balding you usually are. Thats what happend to me and alas i was!

ditto that

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
RaginDemon said:

No, I stopped finasteride but I'm still on foam 'cause I feel that it might have done something. The finasteride sides are still on almost 2 months after stopping...

what sides did you have? i

i only ask bc i started fincar a month ago, and am def noticing weaker erections...its very disappointing...could this stay even if i stop?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
he has man boobs.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anthony83 said:
ghg said:
RaginDemon said:

what sides did you have? i

i only ask bc i started fincar a month ago, and am def noticing weaker erections...its very disappointing...could this stay even if i stop?

Weaker erections, watery sperm, weak orgasms (and hard to reach an orgasm), manboobs. Immediately when I started finasteride I started noticing pain on my chest area but it went away after 2 weeks, only to come back later.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
still having erection problems ghg?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
damn sorry to know that bro, hope things get better

I hope you wont have to contact Mew for help.