my story

spencek

Reaction score
Well, it's been about 3 years now that I first started to notice a little thinning on the front of my scalp, and I began taking precautions right away (generic minoxidil 5%, for peace of mind). Family history of male pattern baldness is scattered, but generally speaking most of my relatives have maintained their hair well. I am 26 years old now, and this battle has been a constant series of ups and downs. Not a day goes by that I don't waste countless minutes worrying about how my hair looks.
For the past 10 month's I have been on finasteride, on and off minoxidl 5%, nizoral 2-3 times per week, and most recently the addition of rogaine foam 2x per day. When I first started the finasteride things where going well (co-workers asked "where did that little bald spot go?"), up until about a month and a half ago when the hair started dropping at an alarming rate. I'm now officially in panic mode and would give anything just to get back to baseline, where at the very least i could manage. I have read and understand how common it is to shed hair as its phases of growth are being unnaturally altered, but I began thinning all over from front to back. I continue to cross my fingers and tell myself this is something that I would have to go through just to see the slightest results, and as of now thats all I'm really looking for. I just need a little hope and a camera to share my pictures and the rest of the story. For now I trudge on through the daily rituals and continue to worry "How bad does it look?", with hope that I can hold onto this once beautiful quaft of hair for a few more years. There was a day when you couldn't run a come through my hair, now I don't dare because I just don't want to lose anymore.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
so things looked good at month 10 and then all of a sudden out of nowhere a shed completely destroyed it ?

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
:eek: WHY? what happen? since its been gd but why is it after 10 mths later everything has a such change?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spencek said:
I have been on finasteride, on and off minoxidl 5%, nizoral 2-3 times per week, and most recently the addition of rogaine foam 2x per day.

it's probably a shed from the minoxidil. how often were you using it before, you say "on and off" what does that mean?

spencek

Reaction score
Yeah, everything looked to be on the up and up, then all of the sudden started noticing an increase of hair in the sink in my hands and not on my head. So, I decided to step it up and go to rogaine foam daily. I hadn't been on minoxidil for about two months because it seems as though minoxidil discolors the hair thats left on my head giving it almost like a grey hue. As it stands now the shedding has slowed up slightly, but I still notice some fine hair in the sink and it never seems to be my thick dark hair.

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah ha...you went through the infamous minoxidil quitting shed just like I did. Once you quit minoxidil within a month or two you will shed big time. I was on minoxidil for 4 months quit and had a horrid shed so I got back on minoxidil and am gaining it back nicely

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
If you quit when using minoxidil means you'll shed? I thought its only when using it then we'll experience shedding...Enlighten me please...

spencek

Reaction score
It wasn't immediately after stopping the use of minoxidil that caused my hair to fall into a shed. It was probably about 3-4 weeks after stopping the use of minoxidil that I went through a shed, which has continued for 1-2 months. And now, nearly 3 weeks ago I returned to rogaine foam, which I have been impressed with thus far. Non greasey, fast drying, pretty good stuff. Bare in mind though that this has been my first significant shed over a 10 month period on finasteride, so i place part of the blame on the use of finasteride.

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep thats right on track when the shed happpens mine started about 4 weeks after I quit and went on for 3 more months and I'm now just rebounding from it. Bryan posted a graph and i will try to find it about the quitting minoxidil shed

spencek

Reaction score
That was a good article with some solid information. I'm just wondering now what, if any effect the finasteride is having on this process? Judging from that article you have to sustain use of minoxidil or pay the price. Thank god for rogaine foam, although i can't wait for the price to drop just a bit, because it seems to go quickly