My story

CWC1998

Reaction score
So, I remember very well when I was 23 years old noticing that my hairline was beginning to recede on the sides at the front. At first I suppose I was in denial because of my age I didn't think for a second that I was losing hair. Well, needless to say I ignored the probem and it got gradully worse during the next six years. At about age 28 I began seriously looking into a solution. However, I was discourage by reading that the common solution (Minoxidil and Finasteride) only were proven to work on the back/top area of the head. I though, well, I'm not having problems there so these solutions won't work for me.

Then, one day at work a very annoying and blunt associate of mine blurted out, " hey you're getting old you have a bald spot on the back of your head!" I of course wanted to slap him and was angered that he was so blunt ... but that was probably about the best thing that could have happened to me.

I went home and saw to my surprise that my hair had considerably thined on the back part of head -- certainly not bald, but I could see the writing on the wall at this point and realized my entire scalp was thining.

I then immediately went to Wal Mart and bought Rogain Foam and having been using it at least 1x a day but usually 2x a day for the last two years. I use it on my entire scalp, incluinng my hairline and have GREAT results including regrowth all over. I was very happily pleased to see hair beginning to grow again on my hairline and my "bald spot" looking much, much fuller. But, I still noticed shedding so that's when I went to Bosley's clinic to talk about my options. They recoomended Propecia and I have been on that for about the last 1.5 years.

My experince with Propecia has been interesting. I was worried like many about possible side effects and that caused me to delay starting it even after I had the prespription. I was comforted by the fact that less than 2 percent of men have negative sexual side effects that go away with time for the majority of those experiencing side effects. So, I took the plunge and started taking Propecia.

As far as side effects, I didn't have any negative sides at first -- in fact, the opposite happened. My sex drive increased significantly, my erections were harder and my orgasms became absolutely amazing. I went on-line and read on some blogs that it's expected upto 10 percent of men experience increased libido ... I couldn't beleive I had never heard that before!

However, for a coupe months I went off Propecia because money was tight at the time and that's when side effects started happening -- after being off the pill for a few weeks, it was painful to have an orgasm for a few days and then everything was back to normal (decreased sex-drive as before I started). Then, when I started back on ProPecia, orgasms were painful again for a few days and then back to the increased libido and AMAZING orgasms. So, it appears for me the negative side efrects are only when i'm coming off or on Propecia -- so I try to ensure now that I never miss a beat with taking this medication regularly.

As far as the results to my hair loss, Propecia appears to be working because my shedding has decreased dramatically!

I am about to stop smoking to help my hair (and overall health) and have begun using Nizoral shampu 3x per week as well. I'm also considering the LazerComb as a replacement to Rogaine - as it's difficult with my hair length to apply and makes my hair difficult to style.

So, that's my story in a nutshell. I am going to post pictures later, but I'm getting ready to go out to the club now!