My story

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, 1st thread here and new member.

Bit of a background regarding hair/skin issues:

I'm 22 (turn 23 tomorrow). Growing up I've always had skin issues, suffered especially bad from dermatitis/eczema until I was 17 or so and still bare some scars (on my face for example). Thankfully I haven't suffered from that in years but my skin has always been dry/flaky no matter how much or what I use to moisturise or how much healthy fats I have in my diet. Sometimes I would flake so bad it would become really embarrassing in social setting when I've had people point it out at work. Similarly with my hair, I've had severe (and I mean SEVERE) dandruff and scalp itchiness as far as I can remember. I was legitimately called the "snowflake kid" in school as even a soft brush of my hair would result in a white avalanche basically. Tried all sorts of anti-dandruff shampoos from commercial products like H&S along with nizoral. Changed washing habits etc. but still no luck. Buzzed my hair a few days ago for the first time and my head was basically a sea of white. Scratching my head by nails would clog up with dandruff within seconds.

As with hair loss, growing up and in my teens I had a full head of hair, even until 21 years or so I didn't really notice any shedding or recession. But in the last 8 months or so it has really accelerated to a point where brushing my hands through my hair would result in dozens of hairs on my palm and hand. My hairline in the temple region has also recessed noticeably over this time and I've had people pointing it out (much to my chagrin). I decided to buzz it a few days ago to see the extent (always had a fauxhawk kind of hairstyle) of hairloss and suffice to say I look a good 5 years older and pushing a norwood 2.

Round about the time I first started noticing severe shedding (around November time). I went on a grain/gluten and dairy free diet until May and regularly applied various topicals such as apple cider vinegar, nizoral, spironolactone, emu oil, coconut oil while also including beef gelatin powder, beef liver on a daily basis. I also supplemented heavily with stuff like grape seed extract, selenium, iodine, chromium gtf, vitamin c, magnesium, vitamin k2, msm, taurine among others daily for months in an effort to stop shedding and perhaps regrow hair, but at the very least to stop shedding. Why I thought this would work is I saw results from others who followed this hair regrowth protocol which was championed by a online "health guru" called Taeain who I also had been speaking to for a while. He has pictures of him regrowing his hair (supposedly) which seemed really impressive and offered me some hope. He argues that hairloss isn't genetic but due to diet and argues that there is a link between a healthy gut and hair loss. At first I found this odd, because there are a lot of people with terrible diets who have perfect NW1 well into their forties and fifties. But seeing as many people claimed to have stopped shedding this way, I took the bait and did this protocol hoping it would fix me. In those 6-7 months I became so miserable due to the extremely restricted food choices along with the realization that my hairloss had not improved and if anything it got worse. I finally threw the towel in about a month back.

In terms of social life: I've always had social anxiety and never had a girlfriend or even been on a date. Had my 1st kiss at 21 (at a party) and now that I'm balding my confidence and self-esteem has been shot even more so on that front it's safe to say I'll probably be alone for a very long time. I'm also 5'5" and I feel that being bald and a short guy is a social death sentence in a way, especially when it comes to the dating world.

I'm considering getting on Propecia/Fina but there is so much conflicting information on how dangerous it can be to you but it seems very individual. I'm not really a fan of doing hard pharmaceutical drugs but the natural remedies were really ineffective.

Thanks for reading my rant lol.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Getting on Propecia is our current best option available today to stop the progression of genetic hair loss in the longterm. You'll need to get on Propecia in order to save your hair. Side effects are uncommon and happen in a small percentage who use Propecia. If side effects do occur, you can quit the treatment and they'll subside.

The claims and conflicting information on how dangerous Finasteride can be is nothing but anecdotal, with no real science to back them up. I would not worry and just give Propecia a go. The whole point is, it will not hurt to try.

Nothing natural has ever been proven to help treat hereditary hair loss, only synthetic pharmaceutical medications have been proven to do so. As you learned yourself, natural remedies were really ineffective.

Remember, stick to the science.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting on Propecia is our current best option available today to stop the progression of genetic hair loss in the longterm. You'll need to get on Propecia in order to save your hair. Side effects are uncommon and happen in a small percentage who use Propecia. If side effects do occur, you can quit the treatment and they'll subside.

The claims and conflicting information on how dangerous Finasteride can be is nothing but anecdotal, with no real science to back them up. I would not worry and just give Propecia a go. The whole point is, it will not hurt to try.

Nothing natural has ever been proven to help treat hereditary hair loss, only synthetic pharmaceutical medications have been proven to do so. As you learned yourself, natural remedies were really ineffective.

Remember, stick to the science.
Thanks for the reply Augustin, really appreciated.

I'm currently looking for a source for finasteride now. Been looking at different starting dosages. Would you recommend 1mg/day right off the bat or perhaps somthing like 0.5mg/day to "test the waters"?

Thanks for alleviating some of my fears also with fina, I'm definitely more confident in trying it now. Will also apply nizoral 2x week to help with dandruff also.