26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey Guys,

I am a 26 year old guy. I had temple recession for 1 and half years but I always had thick straight hair to cover up and it never bothered me.Started seeing some thinning January 2016 especially on crown. It was depressing and had shaved off my head completely in Feb. I visited a local trichologist who gave some shampoos and lotion ( mostly with SP, other DHT blockers). Ditched them very soon.

I had some sebum problems, I was able to solve by using some known shampoos. In March I went to a dermatologist and she told me it was good old male pattern baldness. (Runs in the family). She told me about Big 3. I already did a lot of research and was scared about propecia sides. So I just bought rogaine and keto shampoo. Was scared of the shed and did not use Rogaine till now.

Sometime in March I started oral SP (320 mg)and biotin (1000mg). Did not notice much. No side effects. I used this for a good 50 days. Finally it gave me some confidence that I may not get sides from Propecia.

On May 20th I started taking Generic 1 mg finasteride at 0.5 mg ED ( Walgreens pharmacy). After two weeks I started 0.7 mg ED. I am currently in my 6th week. Last two weeks I started to shed from all over head. More from back of my head. It is a bit scary looking at the hair coming out.

I will upload some pics.

Should I ride it out? Or should I add rogaine which I never started?
Pics are from last night! 37 days into finasteride.

image.jpeg

Wet hair under bright light.

image.jpeg

Dry hair not so bright light

image.jpeg

Dry hair bright light

image.jpeg

Right temple wet hair

image.jpeg

Left temple wet hair

I am hoping for some good advice!

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will keep you posted! I am
Just confused whether I should be adding minoxidil or not! I hope the shed stops soon on finasteride.

Mrpositive

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will keep you posted! I am
Just confused whether I should be adding minoxidil or not! I hope the shed stops soon on finasteride.
Yeah me2 - but from what I've read, you also start shedding from minoxidil? I might be wrong here - im considering minoxidil aswell, but idk when and if I should add it.. Struggle

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
I just saw a thread in which a senior member @k9gatton posted. A study conducted shows finasteride and Min together produce best results. But yeah I am not ready for added shedding!

Here is the link to the thread!

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/two-medications-combined-work-better-than-one.98629/
your first course of action is to get on minoxidil as soon as you notice any type of recession. dont let those anecdotal shed stories scare you into stalling your treatment--you'll regret it if you wait too long. there's really nothing scary about minoxidil anyways.

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
your first course of action is to get on minoxidil as soon as you notice any type of recession. dont let those anecdotal shed stories scare you into stalling your treatment--you'll regret it if you wait too long. there's really nothing scary about minoxidil anyways.
Thanks for the advice @lickawrist. Do you use minoxidil on just your hairline? Or even on the top of the head? I saw your post, I am sorry you had to stop finasteride. Did you shed while on finasteride? I might start minoxidil tonight.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @lickawrist. Do you use minoxidil on just your hairline? Or even on the top of the head? I saw your post, I am sorry you had to stop finasteride. Did you shed while on finasteride? I might start minoxidil tonight.
i'm only stopping temporarily. i plan on going back on finasteride because as far as aa's goes nothing really substitutes dutasteride or finasteride.

I apply minoxidil on top of my head because minoxidil diffuses into other parts of the skin anyways. i rub in my temples and hairline with the minoxidil from my fingertips and any that drip down my face. i do this 2x a day.

edit: i did shed on finasteride--twice the amount i usually find in the shower, but this only lasted for about a week. it differs for some people, but that wasnt the reason why i stopped finasteride. people who shed on finasteride grow back those hairs anyways--Telogen Effluvium usually happens when their is a drastic change in your lifestlye (be it dietary, or hormonal). its nothing to worry about for the most part. but if you still have qualms about taking finasteride, go ahead and try minoxidil.

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
i'm only stopping temporarily. i plan on going back on finasteride because as far as aa's goes nothing really substitutes dutasteride or finasteride.

I apply minoxidil on top of my head because minoxidil diffuses into other parts of the skin anyways. i rub in my temples and hairline with the minoxidil from my fingertips and any that drip down my face. i do this 2x a day.

So you use liquid minoxidil? I have the foam version I am planning to use. I just want to apply it to my crown region and temples.

Also I had a one month follow up with my Dermatologist yesterday. I asked her to prescribe Brand Name propecia. She gave a prescription to Generic finasteride first time. I just want to keep by the books and use Merks Brand. Psychological satisfaction.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
whatever floats your boat, but theres nothing wrong with generic finasteride--i use it. the only diff i'd suspect between the two is the dosage otherwise they are the same drug. its great that you're taking the extra step of consulting with your doctor--most people who just experience hair loss on here are too scared to do that because of their misconceived view of finasteride.

and yes, i use liquid. i never used foam, so i cant speak for its efficacy compared to liquid. but i heard from a lot of people that they generally respond better with liquid. only downside is the annoying dripping you get--i just wish minoxidil was a little bit more viscous.

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
whatever floats your boat, but theres nothing wrong with generic finasteride--i use it. the only diff i'd suspect between the two is the dosage otherwise they are the same drug. its great that you're taking the extra step of consulting with your doctor--most people who just experience hair loss on here are too scared to do that because of their misconceived view of finasteride.

and yes, i use liquid. i never used foam, so i cant speak for its efficacy compared to liquid. but i heard from a lot of people that they generally respond better with liquid. only downside is the annoying dripping you get--i just wish minoxidil was a little bit more viscous.
Thanks man. Yeah I did a lot of consulting with the Doctor. She had my blood tests done and reviewed before I hopped on finasteride. But starting week 4 till now, I am shedding more. I can just hope it's a good sign.

Yeah that's the reason, I want to start with Foam. minoxidil liquid can drop and may cause unwanted hair on the face as well.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
just hang in there brah.

plenty of people on here who have been on finasteride for years (even decades) and they experienced the same shed. these same people have been able to keep their hair and even regrow some for the duration of their time on finasteride/dutasteride.

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
just hang in there brah.

plenty of people on here who have been on finasteride for years (even decades) and they experienced the same shed. these same people have been able to keep their hair and even regrow some for the duration of their time on finasteride/dutasteride.
Thanks for the encouragement! Will ride it out. :)

26mph

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just an update! I started using Rogaine foam today. I am only applying it on my thin spot on crown for now. Planning to apply once a day.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
if you haven't already: take a baseline pic so that you can compare it later down the road. you dont have to post them; do it for yourself so that you can track your progress.