My Tale...an unoriginal one but for what it's worth

TWK1975

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, it's taken me a while but I guess I have to have some level of acceptence and ask for your support and advice.

I'm 34. My hair actually stated thinning at 17, temples anyhow. I went into denial and altered my style to a middle parting. I was blessed with 'thick' hair so I got away with it for a while.

By 25 I was fearful of the rain and wind but it was still thick enough to mask most things and a handy comb when entering a pub could sort things out.

Onto 28...and it was clear the ol' middle parting was struggling at the front so I kept it much shorter, brushed forward. I was clearly thinning but an expert in disguising it.

By thirty I had another problem. The first comment from some jerk that my crown was thinning noticably. I never knew. Checked it out for myself and it was but a neat parting at the back could fix it - even if I felt a bit ancient in doing so.

So to 34. My front hairline has stood up quite well - clearly receded slightly but not bad - I can still style it reasonably fashionably and with the right cut can pull off a 'Morrisey' type quiff. I'm not bothered by it - much lol.

But I've developed a 'patch' at the back. This does annoy me. I've had one or two comments now and it's bugging me. Checking it out in the mirror (with another mirror) is a painful process. Ok - it's going but it's not shockingly large - esp when short. I just need...a little something.

I'm not vain enough to bother with transplants etc. My life is in a place where I can accept ultimate hairloss but I'd like a little help through my 30's at least to avoid the 'patch' comments. There's hair still bravely fighting there but not enough, especially in bright light.

So...what are my short term options for concealment? I've read about this and that but I'd like you guys' advice. Do I need a photo? It's not major..yet..just a developing and slow thinning patch about the diameter of a tennis ball.

All advice would be very much welcome.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
a tennis ball is quite large IMO

your short term options are:

to use a concealer- like toppik, or dermamatch or something of that caliber

you could use nizoral shampoo 3 times a week, but you may only get dismal results using it alone

there are many long term options like the big three
but you said nothing about long term option

both finasteride and minoxidil are life long commitments

TWK1975

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I mentioned no long term solution as I will accept being bald/balding in my slightly later years.

I'm actually reasonably ok with it but would like to see out my 30's till I go for the 'buzz'.

Is a tennis ball THAT big? I'm actually more worried now. There's not a 'bald patch' per se...just a patch where the hair is thinning and compared to the rest of my scalp it stands out.

I suppose I really do want only a temporary solution - the jibes wear less each year but I'd ideally like to cling on to my 40's and it's only a six year wait. I accept being Bruce Willis after that.

Is Toppik my best option do you think?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
not to scare you about that size of the thinning patch on your vertex

you need to come to terms that your thinning patch will eventually become a tennis size slick bald spot in your life time without intervention

and yes toppik or some concealer is your best bet for disguising your thinning patch
the fact that you still have hair there is great because the concealer binds to the existing hair creating a "fuller look"

TWK1975

Reaction score
Thanks my friend.

Ok I'll be 100% honest.

I've ordered the concealer and I've no doubt it will work well...a flick of a comb can do me wonders at the moment.

I don't mean to come over conceited.

Yep..I don't want to be a bald guy.

And I know that thinning patch will have no hair in three to five years and all the concealment in the world will do me no good.

It's difficult to explain but I suppose many on here know.

Hair or lack of it means a lot to me right now...in ten years, it would be nice but not better than my general health, happiness or relationships.

That's where I'm at.

Thanks for your responses...I really appreciated them! :)