n1283's story

n1283

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've been keeping tabs on a few boards for awhile but I figured I'd finally take the plunge and contribute. I'm looking for (hopefully) a Doctor's or similar expert's opinion on my hair:

This past year my hair starting feeling a little different - thinner, less healthy. My scalp has been somewhat irritable/itchy and have noticed more scalp acne that I have in the past..don't hear about that too much on boards - normal? I've seen x2 dermatologists this past year and both basically amounted to "yea, you're probably thinning, try Rogaine if you want to". I decided to be proactive and get a Celestron microscope to check out/keep tabs on any miniaturization (see below for some sample photos). I'm a little confused as to what I see. From what I can tell my hair seems about as thin all over my head (including what I would call the 'donor area' in surgeon's terms). From the zoomed out pictures it definitely looks like my crown is thinning though. Thoughts? Do I just have thin hair or male pattern baldness?

History:
- 27 Years old
- Dad is 61 and has just recently got a bald spot on the crown and some general thinning on top.
- Mom is 57 and has had fine, wispy blonde hair for as long as I can remember. She's pretty self conscious of it and try's to style it accordingly
- Paternal grandfather kept most his hair till he died. It was pretty thin but some pretty solid hair for 88.
- Maternal grandfather died when I was pretty young of cancer, pictures show him with some solid hair till into his 40s-50s

Regimen:
I've been using 1% Nizoral the last year or so a few times a week. Hair feels good after. That's it.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 158
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Crown 1.jpg
    Crown 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Donor 3.jpg
    Donor 3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Forelock1.jpg
    Forelock1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 137

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Re: Need advice - hair thinning/balding or just thin hair?

I would say that the hairline shows signs of thinning...but it's hard to tell without some before/after pictures.

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the same vertex when I was 21. I would say you have almost perfect hair. At least it's too early for a treatment. Just keep an eye on it once 6 months and enjoy your hairy life while you can )))

dboy

Reaction score
If you have scalp acne..I recommend you don't use rogaine, because that will irritate ..I developed scalp itch and foliculitis and had to get on antibiotics and steroid foam...I agree with the others,your hair dont look that bad....Dont take any drugs yet...