Nahaz's story - (Age 32, started balding at 17)

Nahaz

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been experiencing the effects of hair loss for almost 16 years now. I first noticing i was thinning at the front when i was about 17-18. I had long hair and it was very noticeable to me. I also experienced intense itchiness in the areas that appeared to be thinning. My Father was/is quite bald, although not completely, just really thin on his crown (like me i guess). His brother went completely bald very young and i believe his father was bald to (i never met him).

I guess i was a little more delicate than most and it hit me really hard, almost to point of suicide. For most of my 20's i felt like my life was over and there was no way in hell anyone would find me attractive. I avoided looking at myself in the mirror and lived in denial/ignorance. Around 25 i decided to kick myself up the *** and look myself in the mirror and accept who i am. I bought some clippers and shaved to zero. It felt pretty good and i realized i looked good with a shaved head. Also funny thing, when i started liking myself i started noticing quite a bit of female attention.

Recently i decided to start taking Propecia, mainly because i feel neutral about being bald or having hair and have a "let's see what happens attitude". I'm in my 6th month and havn't noticed a huge difference, no further loss that i can tell and maybe slightly thicker. I'm not sure what you'd grade my hair loss at, basically thin, but otherwise good coverage. I have however noticed some erectile dysfunction (nothing major really, just harder getting and maintaining). So i've decided to start applying a topical Anti-DHT drug. I'm also going to start applying a 12.5% minoxidil solution. I'm feeling better about not ingesting finasteride. Also of note, i don't notice any itchiness in my crown anymore, which i guess is the lack of immune system attacking hair follicles?

One last thing that i've discovered is applying talcum powder! This removes much of chrome dome effect (excessive shininess). I generally apply after a shower, or in the morning.

I'll consider adding some pictures in the future.

Cheers
M

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: 32yr old hairloss survivor

if you look great with a shaved head and happy with it, I dont recommand u get on any treatments cuz they need life time commitment.

G

Re: 32yr old hairloss survivor

RaginDemon said:
if you look great with a shaved head and happy with it, I dont recommand u get on any treatments cuz they need life time commitment.

Well popping a pill once a day isn't that hard really. It's the topical sh*t that really take too much time and hassle.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome Nahaz. Balding at 17 really sucks. I started balding in my early 20s or so, but for some reason, there were some years thereafter where the hair looked good. Now, in my late 20s, it looks bad -- although Rogaine has helped significantly and delayed the inevitable.

I still can't look in the mirror in certain lighting. Good job in overcoming that fear!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
well i dont mind the effort as long as they freaking work ghg

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your new regimen...only thing I'm not sure is that 12.5% minoxidil, I'm no expert but I think you should start with 5% max to see how you react to it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
ginger-uk said:
Is the 12.5% better than the Rogaine foam?

not necessarily

Nahaz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I guess in some respects i was lucky as my hair loss has been very gradual.

I've been trying out the minoxidil 12.5% solution and i think my scalp has reacted to it. It kinda looks a bit bumpy and inflamed. So i'm going to stop it for now and just keep taking Propecia.

I just gave myself my weekly haircut and had a good inspection using two mirrors. I can't really say if the minoxidil had much positive effect, the Propecia has certainly had an impact, i'm happy with the results and feel completely comfortable with my appearance.

And regarding loss of libido, it may not been related to Propecia. Probably just plain old over-tiredness.

PS. Spironolactone lotion sucks balls. Used it once, horrible thick goopy stuff. I'd rather go bald than apply something like that every day :)

Nahaz

Reaction score
tembo said:
Welcome Nahaz. Balding at 17 really sucks. I started balding in my early 20s or so, but for some reason, there were some years thereafter where the hair looked good. Now, in my late 20s, it looks bad -- although Rogaine has helped significantly and delayed the inevitable.

I still can't look in the mirror in certain lighting. Good job in overcoming that fear!

I feel for you brother, there was a time there i couldn't look in the mirror at all. Thanks for the welcome.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome on board. lol.

Seriously, just give it a year and if there is no regrowth, which I hope not, you can stop taking them as you have mentioned earlier that you are neutral about being bald or having hair. At least just give it a try. :woot:

Wish you gd luck dude...

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hope big 3 will do wonder for you!