Natural Alternative to Propecia - A Clarification

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify that I do not think Revivogen alone is a sufficient replacement for Propecia. The combination of Revivogen + Topical spironolactone get you significantly closer to "duplicating propecia".

spironolactone alone or Revivogen alone may or may not be sufficient. I would do both together if you are going to avoid the Propecia route. Be advised, even with this "good guess" ... we have no data to prove that Rev+spironolactone will work at all ... let alone as well as Propecia.

I've seen a few guys say "If you aren't going to use Propecia you can try Revivogen". Both the makers of Revivogen and the maker of spironolactone agreed with me that the two together are the best bet, and they were less confident of each alone.

Please read the following article on why both together are important:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article233.htm

HairLossTalk.com

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks

thanks, finasteride is working for me, right now, with no sides...you always give it to us straight, sets this site above others.

and you are a user of both spironolactone and revivogen, right?

i may go that route if finasteride stops working or if i wind up with bizarre sides (not likely after three fine months).

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: thanks

Resultsnottypical said:
and you are a user of both spironolactone and revivogen, right?
Yes. I had good success on Propecia and I was not happy about having to switch to products that had no real testing on people's heads done. So I did the research and spoke to the appropriate people and the two together with nizoral was the "best bet". And thats all I could get, was a best bet, but it seems to have worked to maintain my hair now for another 3 years. Your mileage may vary.

HairLossTalk.com

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, have you seen any terminal regrowth by using these 2?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what about long term effectiveness of spironolactone + revivgen?

viperfish

Reaction score
The only problem that I see with spironolactone is the alcohol content. Alcohol can increase your chances of inflammation and irritation. Two things that you really don't want if your fighting hairloss. Some people have a problem with revivogen causing irritation too. If you experience any irritation would it not be a good idea to discontinue the product????

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
VICCI said:
HairLossTalk.com, have you seen any terminal regrowth by using these 2?
Im not quite sure how one would accurately determine if they'd seen terminal growth unless they were able to track an exact follicle and watch its progress ... and then do so for all follicles across the hairline. All i can say is overall I have maintained a healthy hairline and have continued to conceal that I have any thinning up front.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Matgallis said:
what about long term effectiveness of spironolactone + revivgen?
Unfortunately, without clinical data to point to, we can't be assured it will work at all, let alone know of any long term results.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
viperfish said:
The only problem that I see with spironolactone is the alcohol content.
I don't believe there is much, if any, alcohol content in the 5% Lotion. Definitely not any to the extent that it causes any irritation. On the contrary it soothes the minor irritation I do get from Revivogen.

viper said:
If you experience any irritation would it not be a good idea to discontinue the product????
If its a scientifically sound treatment, I think the more intelligent way to go is to find something that takes care of the irritation. i.e. - with minoxidil irritation many use Folligen spray.

HairLossTalk.com

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, maybe a feeble question, but do u ever track a day of hairloss and count how much u have lost? if so, how many to you see per day?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Im not quite sure how one would accurately determine if they'd seen terminal growth unless they were able to track an exact follicle and watch its progress ... and then do so for all follicles across the hairline.
It can be useful to track how individual hairs are progressing.

You can manage a few just with your memory but, for a more exhaustive selection, I like to circle round them with indelible pens. Each hair gets its own colour and dedicated space on my wall chart for accurate tracking.

Obviously you can't do this for all your hairs (that would be ridiculous) but two to three dozen on the hairline gives a broad enough range.

Slarti

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
HairLossTalk.com, maybe a feeble question, but do u ever track a day of hairloss and count how much u have lost?
No. Its illogical to do that. You lose 200 hairs a day anyways, minimum. Its a rule. Most of them fall behind you while you walk around. So counting seems pointless.

HairLossTalk.com

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
apologies about going off on a slight tangent but what would most people here recommend to use in conjunction with propecia out of revivogen and spironolactone 5%?

viperfish

Reaction score
Yes maybe the 5% is not so harsh, but the 2% has got to contain quite alot of alcohol. I can smell it when I twist the top off immediately.