Natural blockers and antiandrogens - which are best?

Hoppi

Reaction score
This thread is for people who want to try natural remedies to combat their hair loss, for whatever reason, and to discuss which remedies are the best! It is also helpful I find to discuss preferable daily doses, and which remedies are best taken together.

As I understand it, Saw Palmetto, beta-sitosterol (on it's own) and Pygeum Africanum are 3 of the best natural systemic DHT blockers (thanks dpdr for the info there! :) ). However, correct me if I'm wrong or if you know of any more :)

Additionally, there are reports of some remedies having having blocking and antiandrogen effects topically, such as apparently lavender and tea tree, as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=45944

Personally this is good news for me, as I would love to substitute my Nizoral 2% for a herbal remedy :)

So yeah!

Ok and just a footnote, if you DON'T like natural remedies for treating hair loss (or believe that a certain choice is ineffective or has problems), then please don't simply bash or flame - back up your arguments scientifically.

Cheers peeps!

Hoppi :)

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
This belongs in the Vitamins and Supplements section, where pretty much any reply to this thread will be copy and pasted from.

Hoppi

Reaction score
It's not really experimental though is it? o_O

Kind of...

Just because something is not synthetic though doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it or it's different! lol

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hoppi said:

Kind of...

Just because something is not synthetic though doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it or it's different! lol

Not saying anything is wrong with Natural DHT blockers, herbs or vitamins, it's just that we have a section made specifically for them. :)

This section is not just Experimental, it is also for the above threatments as well which are Vitamins & Supplements.

Hoppi

Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie said:
Hoppi said:

Kind of...

Not saying anything is wrong with Natural DHT blockers, herbs or vitamins, it's just that we have a section made specifically for them. :)

This section is not just Experimental, it is also for the above threatments as well which are Vitamins & Supplements.

hmm, fair do's!

Sorry, my natural hippy-ness draws me to natural remedies for everything ._.

lol

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
PropeciaJunkie said:
Hoppi said:

Kind of...

hmm, fair do's!

Sorry, my natural hippy-ness draws me to natural remedies for everything ._.

lol

To each his own. I actually use Saw Palmetto as well as a shampoo which has natural ingredients in it. I use a combo of both Natural and Meds and it seems to be working well for me.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
There are countless other posts in this forum that deal with exactly the bits and pieces of information that you are looking for. Since you are somewhat new to the boards and to the area of nutrition it would probably be much more beneficial not only to the board but also for yourself to review a lot of the previous posted links and small snippets from past posts and then put together a meta post with links to many of the old articles.

Also when looking keep an eye out for anti-inflammatory items as a decent amount of anti-inflammatory foods/compounds also are DHT blockers, although it's probably often because of the fact that they're DHT blockers that they are anti-inflammatory. Good luck.