Natural DHT inhibitors ... recommendations?

Raoul

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A casual visitor now a poster ... nice to be in such good company!

As my topic says, I am looking for recommendations for natural DHT inhibitors. I'm well aware of finesteride/proscar and I'm NOT interested in taking these drugs. Was on Propecia for three months and was subjected to its side effects. Enough of that ...

Any natural DHT inhibitors work for you? Any feedback, good or bad is appreciated.

My scalp appears to work well with natural alternatives as I had excellent results with Bioscor for several months (feel free to request pics). Had to stop because I could no longer afford the treatment ($150 - $250 CDN/month!!!). Absurd!

Thank you for your help as your input is greatly appreciated. Keep up the battle!!!

Raoul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norwood Scale III

Current regimen:
- Ecrinal AMP (two months)
- Shen Min Advanced Men's Formula (four months - 1/2 dosage)

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto
This is probably the best known natural dht blocker. Studies have shown that saw palmetto is an effective anti-androgen. It acts in a similar way that propecia does. Firstly it lowers levels of DHT in the body by blocking 5 alpha-reductase (It blocks Type 1 and Type 2 ). Secondly Saw Palmetto block receptor sites on cell membranes required for cells to absorb DHT

Pygeum
The active constituents of Pygeum extract include phytosterols that inhibit the production of dht. Pygeum also has ingredients that reduce prolacting levels and block the accumulation of cholesterol in the prostate. Prolactin is believed to increase the uptake of testosterone by the prostate, and cholesterol increases binding sites for dht. Pygeum basically reduces the levels of DHT in the blood and reduces the number of sites where the dht can attach. This includes reducing the number of hair follicles where dht would bind. When combined with Saw Palmetto it seems to have a truly synergetic effect on the prevention of hair loss.

Nettles
Clinical studies have confirmed stinging nettle's benefit to men in reducing symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (a noncancerous enlargement of the prostate gland). A concentrated root extract of nettle is sometimes combined with saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) and the bark of the pygeum evergreen tree (Pygeum africanum) to treat the early stages of the disease. The herbal combination helps to increase the urinary volume and maximize the rate of urine flow. German research suggests that active ingredients in the nettle root may reduce prostate swelling. Again, since androgenetic alopecia is caused by the same factors (DHT) as prostatic hyperplasia. Therefore this combination of ingredients is also extremelly effective in warding off hair loss.

Pumpkin Seed Oil
Have been demonstrated to inhibit DHT formation through the inhibitory effect on 5-alpha-reductase activity. Inhibition of DHT formation is also known to be beneficial for hair growth if you are experiencing age-related hair loss. Pumpkin seed oil breaks down dht via the liver.

Green Tea
Green Tea is an extremely powerful anti-oxidant. It also reduces dht (a potent inhibitor of type 1 alpha-reductase). and cholesterol. It is believed that drinking the tea or taking a pill extract can stop hair loss and facilitate re-growth. Green tea contains flavonols and catechins, substances that have been found to have significant antioxidant, antitumor, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties.

Emu Oil
Research has shown that emu oil contains a high level of linolenic acid which further research has shown to be an efficient antiandrogen. Linolenic acid is a potent 5 alpha reductase inhibitor and may be usefull in the treatment of disorders related to the hormone Dihydrotestosterone. Linolenic Acid has been suggested to be of use in the disorders such as benign prostratic hyperplasma, acne androgenetic alopecia and hirsuitism.

* I took Propecia together with Saw Palmetto, Green Tea and Soy milk and other things (view my regimen).
I regrew hair, and I´m still regrowing now with Avodart.
I really don´t think I would've regrown hair only with naturals, but maybe they help my regimen.
But if you’re not interested in taking drugs give naturals a try.

Raoul

Reaction score
Thank you for the thorough post Strat54. Will be making my decisions armed with this info.

Good to hear of your success.

Raoul

CCS

Reaction score
I did not read your post, but from the title, and the bold print in the following post, I'd say you can eliminate almost all of those for DHT inhibition. Just green tea extract and free fatty acids (not oils) such as GLA, ALA, and linoleic acid will inhibit 5ar, using just natural stuff. Saw palmetto is very weak by comparison.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I did not read your post, but from the title, and the bold print in the following post, I'd say you can eliminate almost all of those for DHT inhibition. Just green tea extract and free fatty acids (not oils) such as GLA, ALA, and linoleic acid will inhibit 5ar, using just natural stuff. Saw palmetto is very weak by comparison.

Yes, all the naturals are weak in comparison to Finasteride or Dutasteride.

But IMO, if you want to go the natural way I think you should add many weapons to act in synergism to lower as much DHT as you can.

At the end you could end up spending more on naturals than on finasteride or dutasteride and I don’t think you will get the same results, if any.