Natural, safer alternative to stuff like spironolactone?

Kero

Reaction score
"Saw Palmetto
is very effective at blocking the formation of DHT and appears to block the androgen receptors which are found on the hair follicles. It blocks Type 1 and Type 2 forms of 5 alpha-reductase and has shown to be more potent than Finasteride."

WHAT!? Thats BS.

Hoppi, I like your idea to treat your hairloss in some other ways, really. But I think you shouldn't be TOO scared to use chemicals. Especially spironolactone topically seems to be very safe.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Saw Palmetto is very effective at blocking the formation of DHT and appears to block the androgen receptors which are found on the hair follicles. It blocks Type 1 and Type 2 forms of 5 alpha-reductase and has shown to be more potent than Finasteride."

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh, is taking 1 mg (1 milligram) of saw palmetto going to reduce serum DHT more than taking 1 mg of finasteride? :) From "Alopecia: Unapproved Treatments or Indications", Marty E. Sawaya, MD, and Jerry Shapiro, MD. Clinics in Dermatology. 2000;18:177-186:

Serenoa Repens/Saw Palmetto/Permixon

This is very commonly known by patients and clinicians as it is widely available in most nutritional food stores. Serenoa repens berries grow naturally, with the extract claiming to inhibit DHT production, mainly claimed for use in prostate problems. There have been no extensive studies, but because of the stated implications of affecting DHT, men are anxious to try this OTC remedy to see whether it promotes hair growth on the scalp.

Studies that have been done have compared Permixon with finasteride in treatment of 1098 men with benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). Permixon improved symptoms of BPH but had no effect on androgen-dependent parameters such as DHT levels or 5a-R, indicating that its effects must be due to other yet undetermined pathways that do not involve DHT or 5a-R directly. Another study in 32 young men (aged 20 to 30 years) in a 1-week open trial looked at the effects of finasteride versus Permixon with regard to serum androgen levels; no effect on DHT levels were found in the Permixon-treated group, similar to the placebo group, whereas the finasteride group reduced DHT by 65%.*

*Stauch G, Perles P, Vergult G, et al. Comparison of finasteride (Proscar)) and Serenoa repens (Permixon) in the inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase in healthy male volunteers. Eur Urolo 1994;26:247-52.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get the objection to using chemicals. In fact, it should be your first choice, then you should look for alternatives if it doesn't help.

For instance, Hoppi, what if you started taking a full 1 mg of finasteride, you have no side effects, your hair loss stops completely and reverses to some degree? chances are you will not see any "severe" side effects that would make you have to stop taking it.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I don't think my body wants it's DHT cut that low, I don't think it's good for it ._.

And yeah I don't care if that site blags it's a** off lol, as long as their choices of herbs are good, I am a happy Hoppi! hehe :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I don't think my body wants it's DHT cut that low, I don't think it's good for it ._.

And yeah I don't care if that site blags it's a** off lol, as long as their choices of herbs are good, I am a happy Hoppi! hehe :)

You can "think" anything you want, as long as you don't go around believing every little thing you read on sites like that, which are probably just interested in selling you saw palmetto supplements. "More potent than finasteride", my ***!! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hoppi said:

You can "think" anything you want, as long as you don't go around believing every little thing you read on sites like that, which are probably just interested in selling you saw palmetto supplements. "More potent than finasteride", my ***!! :)

I dunno, it seemed like a well-designed topical to me.

Funnily enough right before I discovered it I was walking along and I thought "what I need is a topical with saw palmetto and aloe vera!" and then I looked online and saw they had already done it! lol

Just saved me the trouble of mixing it all myself that's all! hehe :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I dunno, it seemed like a well-designed topical to me.

I dunno, maybe topical saw palmetto _is_ useful for something. Maybe it makes a good wart remover. Maybe it makes a good tooth-whitener. Maybe it's good stuff to use in a fire extinguisher! :)

All I'm warning you about is not to believe everything you see like that on Web sites, like the ridiculous claim that "saw palmetto is more potent than finasteride".

Hoppi

Reaction score
It inhibits 5-alpha reductase, I believe through it's content of beta-sitosterol.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=saw+palmetto+5-alpha+reductase

(sorry, I mean no disrespect with that link it's just I am soooo lazy and can't be bothered to hunt down studies or anything hehe!)

For the record of course many other things will serve to inhibit 5ar a bit. Curcumin, reishi mushroom and avocados (again due to their beta-sitosterol content) all do it I believe. Yeah it's not as potent as finasteride or dutasteride, but it will take the edge off. Oh, stuff like equol (from soya) I believe will also lower systemic DHT but I don't really know how best to get that stuff into my body yet!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Best answer to my original question seems to be Revivogen doesn't it really?

That and nettles/green tea. Saw Palmetto.. I dunno man probably, it would be interesting to see some more studies into this one.

DarkDays

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Best answer to my original question seems to be Revivogen doesn't it really?

That and nettles/green tea. Saw Palmetto.. I dunno man probably, it would be interesting to see some more studies into this one.

The problem with Nettles, Green Tea, and Saw Palmetto is that there is very little solid information to work from. I am not trying to stop you from trying(I suggest you do and report to us), but suggest you don't get your hopes up.

Might add that there have been some reports that Green Tea increases DHT and that it can be offset by taking Soy. Again, this is anecdotal evidence reported by people and not solid research.