Natwraggie's Story (age 18) *Update* March 19th 2010

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel quite selfish here, as I'm not sure whether I'm losing my hair or not and I know others are worse off. However, I am very paranoid about losing it. My confidence and self-esteem is already very low and If I find out I'm losing my hair then I'll be devastated.

All my male relatives lost their hair in very early 20's. I'm growing up in a very similar way to my uncle. Bidy hair already, same hair type, similar skin. So I can see it coming.

I'm not sure what the best DHT blockers are to use while your young. So if anyone has any suggestions?

I worry about it everyday, I count the hairs on the pillow when I wake up in the morning and I usually find 10 or more. I'm so confused. My docots keeps saying that they is nothing to to stop hair loss and I get paranoid then. He says worry when it happens, but by then I think your too late.

I am seriously that confused, I don't even know If I'm losing my hair now.

Here are some pics to show:

010nvu.jpg

KK038.jpg

I would be so greatful for any comments. Thanks.

Nathan

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Nathan's Story (16)

i think it would be better if you posted a clear pic of your hairline with your eyebrows raised so we can see the forehead wrinkles

your highest wrinkle is where your hairline started as a child

it is normal for a man to lose some hair and acquire a mature hairline

but since your crown looks like it thinning to me i think it might be an early sign of male pattern baldness

you are sooo young i dont think a derm would even prescribe finasteride to you until you are 18 at the least

rogaine will more than likely fill in that crown though

im curious to see what others say about this one

cheers mate

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score

Oh god I'm panicking now. Thanks for the replies, here a couple more pics

010-1.jpg

KK039.jpg

tomg

Reaction score

i really think pictures dont tell the true reality, look how people changed their opinion with my 2 sets of pics.

I think you hair is fine mate, however you probably will experience more severe hairloss in the future, thats if you have mbp in your family.

Just enjoy your hair and dont panic :)

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeh, but ALL my male relatives lost thier hair around 20. I'm gonna go seek a trichologist.

tomg

Reaction score

well its more than likely you will lose your hair at some point then

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Natwraggie's Story (age 16)

wasn't that a good suggestion?

with your second pics it looks like you have no sign of male pattern baldness

your hairline is thick

im not saying however you dont have it

but it look like you might just have a mature hairline from the second pics

you are really young so i would not recommend any treatments now

but keep an eye on it

hope this helps

actually to answer your question
i am not a doctor and cant diagnose things but IMO

look out for your hair turning blonde and finer in the temples
or keep an eye out for the hair lost during the shower
if the hair that just comes out naturally is finer (like comes to a point) at the tip
is short/shorter mean that the hair growth cycle is shrinking and you will need to intervene
probably with finasteride at the start with or without a prescription (since docs wont prescribe finasteride earlier than 18 year of age)

cheers mate

NateF

Reaction score

Your hair looks fine to me. I wish I had it.

Stressing over it WILL cause it to fall out much faster then if you just let it run it's course. I'm warning you now about that. Enjoy it. You might have another 10 years or more. But if you worry - you won't. My hairline was receding since I was in my late teens - Im 34 and still have hair - it's thinning fast - but I still have it.

Rogaine foam for your back might help.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

BodyDysmorphic said:
i think it would be better if you posted a clear pic of your hairline with your eyebrows raised so we can see the forehead wrinkles

your highest wrinkle is where your hairline started as a child

it is normal for a man to lose some hair and acquire a mature hairline

but since your crown looks like it thinning to me i think it might be an early sign of male pattern baldness

you are sooo young i dont think a derm would even prescribe finasteride to you until you are 18 at the least

rogaine will more than likely fill in that crown though

im curious to see what others say about this one

cheers mate

Oh god, lol, where did you pull that bullshit from?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

You can tell where your youthful hairline is/was by lifting your eyebrows up so that you can see your forehead wrinkle. I call this the furrowed brow, and the wrinkles you see reflect a muscle below the skin (the frontalis muscle which is present in everyone). The youthful (juvenile) hairline touches the top of the highest wrinkle and has a concave frontal shape to it. In the mature hairline (with its almost convex frontal shape that extends from the temple prominences), shows a gap where there are no wrinkles and no hair present. None of what I just wrote is male pattern balding, yet many of our young readers panic when they see the rise in this hairline and they look to the Norwood Chart to identify where they are in the progression of their hair loss. It is particularly bothersome to the young men when the change occurs slowly and asymetrically. It is even worse when the change produces ‘chewed’ look. This maturing process occurs between 17 and 29 years of age and it is not uncommon to find one side go up faster than the other side. Not all men get a mature hairline (for example, former US President Bill Clinton retained his juvenile hairline — see photo at right) and retention of the juvenile hairline is more common on non-Caucasians as seen in many people from Asia and the middle eastern region.

from this website
http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/10/06/j ... th-photos/

bioatch.....take it you need it

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank You for all the replies. I have taken the advice all on board. I will try not to think about it. But I'm just wondering what small things I could do NOW. Diet, shampoo? Sorry I keep going on. But I have low confidence already, and would lose it all if I knew I was losing it. My grandad, uncle (mothers side) lost it at 20 and my dad lost his at 20ish too.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

i would take pictures of the hairline and temple region
with your eye brows raised

every 6 months to evaluate your situation

since some of your family members lost it quite early
you may be the same

FOR NOW THOUGH I THINK YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT
you will go crazy!

by taking pictures you will have documentation of the progression of your loss
this will be useful for the derm/doctor

and will have no apprehension prescribing finasteride to you when you need it

start treatments as soon as you are aware of the receding process

like i said it usually starts with the hair getting lighter and lighter and thinner and thinner
over time it disappears all together

it's alot easier to maintain than it is to regrow

hope this helps

cheers mate

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score

Ok I went to a doctor and he knew NOTHING about hair loss and refused to refer me to a dermatologist. I comb out over 7 hairs in the morning when I wake up, I also find over 10 hairs on my pillow as well. The roots of my hair look a lot lighter and also thinner. I don't know what to do, but I'm now really convinced that I'm go bald, but the doctors (who know nothing about hair loss) say I'm not going bald... I'm going crazy!! lol.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah hate to say it but looks like male pattern baldness probably, like mine, i'd take pictures again in 6 months and check to see how your going, if its gotten alot worse go to the Doctor.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score

Sorry but the doctors at the surgery I go to are pretty useless. They won't prescribe me with Propecia or anything. So I'll have to drink ulimited amounts of green tea and get saw palmetto. I'm already using Nizoral. I just hope the DHT is not agressive. If I go bald then I'll lose all my confidence.

heyitsthatguy

Established Member
Reaction score

Oh dam didn't read that you were 16, just wait till your older I guess and then get on finasteride :dunno:

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

body dismorphic... i think you mean the juvenile hairline starts at the point where the hairline is the same distance from the top wrinkle as the distance from the top wrinkle and second top wrinkle. Usually about 1cm-1.5cm from top wrinkle. I dont think the juve hairline ever started touching the last wrinkle. Mine never did!lol

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

dude

and no what you said is not what i meant!

The youthful (juvenile) hairline touches the top of the highest wrinkle and has a concave frontal shape to it. In the mature hairline (with its almost convex frontal shape that extends from the temple prominences), shows a gap where there are no wrinkles and no hair present. None of what I just wrote is male pattern balding, yet many of our young readers panic when they see the rise in this hairline and they look to the Norwood Chart to identify where they are in the progression of their hair loss.

so touches means where it started as a child

this is a quote from a derm that specializes in hair loss bro

what i said "your highest wrinkle is where your hairline started as a child"
was to be concise

then i defined it more specifically in my second post

but your hairline once touched that top wrinkle
the hairline doesn't necessarily follow the wrinkle to the temple though
it may have a break "like a part"

lets just get bryan in this to solve this conundrum

cheers mates