Need advice, 28 y/o male with persistent hair shedding

Tooscared2323

Reaction score
Hi guys, so before I get started I want to acknowledge that I am here just to inquire to see if others shared a similar experience or not and what were the results of the situation. I am a 28-year-old male, who is pretty healthy and active. In March of 2013 I started to notice more hairs than usual in my hands during shampooing. I quickly became very concerned and started to notice that I would leave strands of hair everywhere on my pillow, in the kitchen, on my desk. I decided to see a dermatologist to gather some more information about my situation. I met with the dermatologist in the end of April of 2013, during the interview she asked me a few questions and found out that I had oral surgery under general anesthesia in December of 2012. She told me that this is most likely Telogen Effluvium, even though she performed a pull test that came back negative and this would resolve on its own. She told me there was no way that this is MBP, after examining my hair density and my hairline.

Fast forward to November of 2013. I was still shedding, I did not see any resolution in the amount of hair shedding. I would count about 60 hairs shed in the shower, and 15 hairs shed while brushing, on a daily bases not counting the other hairs I would find in pillow or anywhere else. I use to style my hair with pomade and to get a tight hair part, wet look, but stopped because I would notice a ridiculous amount of hair in my hands while styling. So I decided to see multiple dermatologists for more information. Almost all of them said that is most likely a temporary situation and would resolve on its own. However, one of the dermatologists that I saw performed a scalp biopsy that came back basically inconclusive for male pattern baldness and ruled out Telogen Effluvium. So the dermatologist decided to prescribe me generic Finasteride to be preventative. I took 1mg daily from January - May 2014. In may the dermatologist told me that I should stop because I did not notice a decrease in shedding, and the drug should have displayed a beneficial therapeutic effect at this point. I decided to use Nizoral 2 percent every other day to see if it helps the shedding, it didn’t. Now it’s July and I have noticed my hair shedding get worse and worse. I have no idea what is going on and it's really upsetting.

I know that my hairline is in pretty good shape and my hair density is still very thick, which I am extremely grateful for. However, my hair is not what it used to be and it’s harder to style it daily. I don’t really have any hair loss that runs in my family, my father is a Norwood II at worst. I would really appreciate some sound input, to learn more about my situations from others who may have experienced something similar. I have attached a few photos. Thank you and I appreciate your advice.

the First 4 pics are from July 2014

the last 3 pics are from April 2013

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.35.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.35.47 AM.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.37.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.37.17 AM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.37.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.37.02 AM.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.47 AM.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.05 AM.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.35 AM.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.36.21 AM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 307

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Supposedly we lose 1 percent density each year due to aging that is not related to male pattern baldness. You are approaching 30 so your hair is not going to be like it was at 20 or 25. Shedding can be induced by other factor that are not always related to male pattern baldness. Get your antibodies tested. If you have any inflammation in the body, it can affect your hair. Your hair looks normal for your age. The reason you did not see improvement on finasteride was because you have minimal to no loss. You won't see any improvement with that. Minoxidil is the only thing that might cosmetically improve things because it acts as a growth stimulant for all types of hair loss. You have too much hair at 28 to become a high Norwood. I honestly predict you will be a NW2 or maybe a NW3 as your worse case scenario by 40.

Tooscared2323

Reaction score
Supposedly we lose 1 percent density each year due to aging that is not related to male pattern baldness. You are approaching 30 so your hair is not going to be like it was at 20 or 25. Shedding can be induced by other factor that are not always related to male pattern baldness. Get your antibodies tested. If you have any inflammation in the body, it can affect your hair. Your hair looks normal for your age. The reason you did not see improvement on finasteride was because you have minimal to no loss. You won't see any improvement with that. Minoxidil is the only thing that might cosmetically improve things because it acts as a growth stimulant for all types of hair loss. You have too much hair at 28 to become a high Norwood. I honestly predict you will be a NW2 or maybe a NW3 as your worse case scenario by 40.

DoctorHouse, I would just like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I will definitely look into getting an Antibody-panel test done, to check if there might be inflammation

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
You are a good candidate for minoxidil. male pattern baldness or not, it helps growing hairs.