Need advice bad receding temples 21 years old, pics

Worriedlad

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm turning 21 and my hairline is already receeding ): I've read online about different treatments to grow back/slow down hairloss and I found a lot of options... honestly it feels like im trying to buy illegal drugs or something lol. Maybe it would be easier to go to a doctor but I dont want to take it that far and make a big deal about it, that's why im posting here. I'm probably wondering basic stuffs here but I'm just so confused from all the information and different medications I have found through google.

Let me start off by saying that both my older brother (26) and my old dad have receeded temples and somewhat thinning hair on the sides so no suprise. I think im to where my dad's at now, here are some pics:

My mane has always been pretty good, I'm having wavy and overall thick hair. My hairline have always been high but not this high and I dont want it to get worse best of all would be to make some of it grow back! I don't notice hair falling off when I shower or anywhen else. This is what I'm already doing to prevent hairloss: I don't shampoo my hair every time I take a shower, I let my hair dry by its self, I have started putting on aloe vera gel from aloe vera plants
:dunno:
, I do scalp massage, high protein diet(eggs almost every morning), I workout, I try to maintain my stress levels. I don't know if any of this actually works.
What are your suggestions to me to make my hair grow out, I don't want it to cost me to much. What products do you suggest that suits my case? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also had the feeling that my hair might be thinning a bit at the front(picture 3), does it look like it?:/ I heard there are shampoos for thinning hair, true?

Last edited by a moderator:

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm turning 21 and my hairline is already receeding ): I've read online about different treatments to grow back/slow down hairloss and I found a lot of options... honestly it feels like im trying to buy illegal drugs or something lol. Maybe it would be easier to go to a doctor but I dont want to take it that far and make a big deal about it, that's why im posting here. I'm probably wondering basic stuffs here but I'm just so confused from all the information and different medications I have found through google.

Let me start off by saying that both my older brother (26) and my old dad have receeded temples and somewhat thinning hair on the sides so no suprise. I think im to where my dad's at now, here are some pics:

My mane has always been pretty good, I'm having wavy and overall thick hair. My hairline have always been high but not this high and I dont want it to get worse best of all would be to make some of it grow back! I don't notice hair falling off when I shower or anywhen else. This is what I'm already doing to prevent hairloss: I don't shampoo my hair every time I take a shower, I let my hair dry by its self, I have started putting on aloe vera gel from aloe vera plants
:dunno:
, I do scalp massage, high protein diet(eggs almost every morning), I workout, I try to maintain my stress levels. I don't know if any of this actually works.
What are your suggestions to me to make my hair grow out, I don't want it to cost me to much. What products do you suggest that suits my case? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also had the feeling that my hair might be thinning a bit at the front(picture 3), does it look like it?:/ I heard there are shampoos for thinning hair, true?

I agree that the "Big Three" (as they call it here) is your most effective option. However, I would recommend using 2% ketoconazole shampoo rather than the 1%, since studies show that the 2% has a stronger effect against male pattern baldness (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/helpful/).

This transitions into your question about "shampoos for thinning hair." The only shampoo I am aware of that has studies supporting its effectiveness against thinning hair is again ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral and Regenepure are examples). I wouldn't waste money on any "shampoo for thinning hair" unless it has 1% or 2% ketoconazole in it. (However, in my personal experience, Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo stopped my shedding and thickened existing hairs. I wouldn't rely on it exclusively to fight male pattern baldness, however.)

I have a blog post discussing general treatments for fighting hair loss as well (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/maintain/).

Last edited by a moderator:

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
There is topical finasteride. There's a thread on here about a how topical finasteride locks onto the scalp so as to prevent systemic absorption of finasteride; this "mitigates" the adverse side effects usually felt from oral finasteride. I use quotes because I'm not sure if that is universally true for users. If you are scared to go on oral, least you can try is topical finasteride.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try to mantain your actual hair.
How much time are you massaging your hair and using aloe vera gel?

Worriedlad

Reaction score
There is topical finasteride. There's a thread on here about a how topical finasteride locks onto the scalp so as to prevent systemic absorption of finasteride; this "mitigates" the adverse side effects usually felt from oral finasteride. I use quotes because I'm not sure if that is universally true for users. If you are scared to go on oral, least you can try is topical finasteride.
Thanks I will look into that, I just don't feel that it's worth getting the possible side effects from propecia. High hairline runs in my family, but no baldness on top of the head or anything and it doesn't look bad on my father/brother or me, it looks kinda natural/manly. Some days I worry more than other though. if I'm going to try anything it will be shampoos, but I've heard that it's hard to regrow the temples, easier on top of the head so I don't know if I'm going to notice much of a difference anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Try to mantain your actual hair.
How much time are you massaging your hair and using aloe vera gel?

not quite every day ( 5-6 times a week) once before I go to sleep with 5-10 min of massage.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that the "Big Three" (as they call it here) is your most effective option. However, I would recommend using 2% ketoconazole shampoo rather than the 1%, since studies show that the 2% has a stronger effect against male pattern baldness (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/helpful/).

This transitions into your question about "shampoos for thinning hair." The only shampoo I am aware of that has studies supporting its effectiveness against thinning hair is again ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral and Regenepure are examples). I wouldn't waste money on any "shampoo for thinning hair" unless it has 1% or 2% ketoconazole in it. (However, in my personal experience, Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo stopped my shedding and thickened existing hairs. I wouldn't rely on it exclusively to fight male pattern baldness, however.)

I have a blog post discussing general treatments for fighting hair loss as well (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/maintain/).
Thanks I will look for shampoos with ketoconazole, Just might be hard to find it in my country(sweden) ^^

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
"massaging ( 5-6 times a week) once before I go to sleep with 5-10 min of massage."

A good treatment in my opinion with it, sebum buildup is more easy to avoid.