Need advice: have concerns about gyno

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm not saying I definitely have gyno and I don't want this post to scare anyone that is thinking of trying finasteride. Gynecomastia is a side effect in only a very small percentage of cases, if you believe the clinical trials (something I'm beginning to question after the history of hormone replacement therapy for women and the recent news about Paxil.)

Anyway, I've already decided to go see my regular physician and possibly an endocrinologist but I'd like some input from you all before doing so. You guys always give me some good insight. I've gone through the archives and I've read almost every thread dealing with gynecomastia.

Badhairdecade, Drinkrum, Diddy and HairLossTalk.com, I'm hoping that you guys especially will respond to this thread.

Here's the story:

I've been on Propecia for 40 days. I'm positive that the areas around my nipples, especially my left one, are now puffier. I shave my chest so I look at it everyday and I'm not imagining this.

Over the past few days I've had pain about 1.5 inches below and 1.5 inches above the nipple area but it is rather mild. It worries me though because it is a type of pain I've never experienced.

I have thoroughly felt my chest and I do not feel any lumps or bumps whatsover. Also, my nipples and the area around them are not sensitive to the touch. It does not hurt to touch them at all nor any other part of my chest. My chest is not "tender."

I believe it is possible based upon the following medical research to get gynecomastia after only 40 days. This doesn't mean I personally believe I have gyno.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/335/11/823

"From June 1992, when finasteride (Proscar) was approved for the treatment of prostatic hyperplasia, to February 1995, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) received reports of gynecomastia in 214 men (ages, 47 to 90 years; median, 71) in the United States who were taking the drug. Gynecomastia has been the most frequently reported adverse effect of this drug, with an onset ranging from 14 days to 2 1/2 years (median, 180 days) after the initiation of therapy."

Yes, they were taking 5mg but we all know lesser doses can result in just as much free estrogen.

I lift weights at least 4 times a week and am already lean so this isn't a matter of being overweight or being sore from lifting. After years of lifting I know how to distinguish different types of pain and this is definitely not soreness from lifting.

I've researched different drugs on the internet. Arimidex (anastrozole) and nolvadex (tamoxifen) seem to hold the most promise and scientific research to back them up. I've also read that curcumin (turmeric) is used by some men.

I REALLY do not want to stop taking Propecia. I would like to continue the drug and, if necessary, take arimidex or nolvadex along with it.

So:

What advice would you give me? What do you think I should do? Do you have any experience in this matter? What medications, if any, do you think I should ask the doctors about?

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything for sure, but I'd guess the signs could show in as little as 40 days. That seems possible.

I think some things that might influence it are a persons body-type, their weight, their age, and any genetic predispositions. I started getting gyno after about three months of propecia. I continued with it for a year, and I finally got off it, cause I didn't like what it was doing to me. But I think if you're thin, you'll have less of a problem.

drinkrum

Reaction score
You made the right decision at first to see an endocrinologist. I don't know where you live, but if you're anywhere within a drivable distance to Boston, I would recommend Dr. Frances Hayes at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)/Harvard University.

But even if you don't go to her, make sure your endo checks specifically for E2 (estradiol). Gyno is estrogen-dependent so look to see if your E2 is significantly more than the normal range. Also, the endo should "feel you up" to see if you have any glandular masses, etc. Be sure to see your testosterone and DHT levels as well. I would recommend a morning visit as testosterone peaks in the morning and falls as the day progresses (estradiol does not follow this diurnal pattern).

Also, bear in mind that you've only been on Propecia for a short time. Your body is slowly readjusting to the increased level of free testosterone and subsequent higher levels of estrogen. So your gyno, if indeed that is what it is, might dissipate gradually as your body adjusts.

So keep popping those Propecia pills for now until you get your lab results back from your endo. If your E2 number is well beyond the normal range, you will have a judgement call to make. Most likely it will not be, and the nipple itch, etc. is just a temporary phase.

Arimidex or Femara are your best bets against high estrogen. But they will counter the effects of finasteride (as shown in the infamous canine study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract). Also these drugs are hard to get and very expensive as they're normally indicated for breast cancer patients. I've fooled around with Arimidex quite a bit and nothing really substantial came out of it. And I didn't measure my hormone levels at all.

I wouldn't really recommend Nolvadex because it doesn't really solve the underlying problem (i.e. excess estrogen) -- it just dampens the uptake of estrogen to receptors. So if you ever go off the drug, you'll be dealing with a big mess.

Keep me updated and I'll be glad to answer any other questions. Be sure to tell your endo that you're on finasteride as I'm sure he/she will be able to give you more detailed advice.

D.

Webbie

Reaction score
If I have a lump or mass below and beind my areaola, does that mean I may have gyno or worse? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've been reading about male breast cancer and gyno, how it is estrogen-dependent. I know that some of our hair-loss meds like Propecia and Dutasteride can reduce our testosterone levels - but would that allow estrogen levels to increase?

I was on Proscar for proabably 3 years and now I've been on Dutasteride for about two years. :(

Axon

Reaction score
Well, you seem to know your sh*t on this. I would suggest this is a borderline case and that you should consult at least two professionals on this matter.

I say so only because of certain doctors having more interest in taking your money than actually assisting you.