Need advice on rapid hair loss!

arsenewenger

Reaction score
I am a healthy 26 year old who has begun shedding hair like crazy(at least in my opinion) recently. I noticed some hair loss about 2 years ago but up until this September it was relatively mild, and I was fine with amount I was losing. Over the past few months, every time I shower, sit at a desk and even sit to eat I'll end up with hair falling out. It feels like it's nonstop over the day. Every time I run my hands through my hair, it easily comes out which it never did in the past. The lengths of hair that are falling out, suggests to me, I am experiencing diffuse hair loss. I have noticed that my hairline has receded some but the overall feel to my head of hair is lighter, hence why I think it has been happening throughout the scalp.

During this two year period, I lost my mother to cancer which I was extremely stressful and definitely took a huge toll on me. I also started had some stressful events in graduate school which only added to my stress. At this point, I am feeling much better mentally and physically. I did consult two GPs who did notice anything wrong with my scalp. I also saw a dermatologist who said based on everything I had mentioned above it's most likely telogen effluvium. The dermatologist ran a blood work and ruled out hypothyroidism(I asked for it). However, I am currently doubting the dermatologist's opinion based on the fact that at least of half of the hair that is falling out appears miniaturized(namely, its less thick and not as black looking). I also feel like I am losing more than 200 per day. I do have a prescription for Proscar 5MG in hand which I would attempt to divide into fourths. I would really appreciate everyone's opinion as to whether I should hold off on Proscar for a bit longer or jump right in? Like most things, I would prefer not take a medication that I don't need but I am intent on keeping my hair for as long as possible. I am attaching some pictures that might further help.
IMG_2798.jpgIMG_2793.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-3.jpgFullSizeRender-4.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 173

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Any hair loss you have from stress will grow back as the follicle doesn't die its DHT that shrinks and ultimately 'kills' the follicle, however you do have early signs of male pattern baldness so I would get on finasteride ASAP, as you'll likely retain that good head of hair for a while. Delaying finasteride is dumb as it retains what you have rather than regrows(unless your extremely lucky).

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at your family members will also be a good indication if you have male pattern baldness, what is your father/brothers/grandfathers hair like?

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I do not have any brothers and my father had no brothers as well. My father slowly receded over the years, I think it started picking up some in 40s but his has been really gradual and his still has a lot of hair on the crown and sides-he's almost 60 now. Both of my grandparents were bald but I am not sure at what age they lost hair. My uncles from my mother's side all gradually thinned out and receded except for one who went completely bald at a younger age. Should I start at low dose and work my way into a 1.25mg of finasteride or just start at 1.25mg?

massa

Banned
Reaction score
I would just take 1.25mg per day. If you encounter sides you can always stop but you probably wont, a lot of people that talk about sides on forums like this tend to be the result of the Nocebo effect.